Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live, in Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania, there are two sites that were used for "Gatherings" around the turn of the Century. The first was an area that would allow the Christian Campsite to inhabit a section of land close to the Allegheny River for the summer. Probably close to 20 acres of land.
Abutting this acreage and running about 50 acres to the East was the old County Fairgrounds. I planned on hunting the old fairgrounds on Saturday. Most of the guys who swing a metal detector in the area know the farmer on the hill and have been given the green light to metal detect.
Five minutes into the hunt I was approached by 2 individuals on ATV's and informed that they purchased the 75 acres that had belonged to the old farmer. The land was now Posted and that I could finish metal detecting for the day but this activity would no longer be allowed. I thanked them for the permission and congratulated them on their purchase. Sad,, a nice chunk of history holding land has been removed from the search list.
Aside from some trash, I managed to recover a 1902 "V" Nickel.

Attachments

• 20210405_090100.jpg
    20210405_090100.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210405_090035.jpg
    20210405_090035.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 16

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So so true over here a lot of people are buying up so much land and posting,, cherish the 1902 coin,congratulations

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seems to be happening more and more. I've lost a few farm permissions due to the sale of the property, to another individual who will not allow people on the property. At least you pulled the V Nickel. Nice find ATW.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was so accustomed to hunting this area , that I walked right by a "Posted Sign" without even noticing it. The guy was pretty pleasant once he established that I was in his property. Maybe somewhere down the road he might change his mind about metal detecting.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where I live, in Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania, there are two sites that were used for "Gatherings" around the turn of the Century. The first was an area that would allow the Christian Campsite to inhabit a section of land close to the Allegheny River for the summer. Probably close to 20 acres of land.
Abutting this acreage and running about 50 acres to the East was the old County Fairgrounds. I planned on hunting the old fairgrounds on Saturday. Most of the guys who swing a metal detector in the area know the farmer on the hill and have been given the green light to metal detect.
Five minutes into the hunt I was approached by 2 individuals on ATV's and informed that they purchased the 75 acres that had belonged to the old farmer. The land was now Posted and that I could finish metal detecting for the day but this activity would no longer be allowed. I thanked them for the permission and congratulated them on their purchase. Sad,, a nice chunk of history holding land has been removed from the search list.
Aside from some trash, I managed to recover a 1902 "V" Nickel.

I feel your pain. I recently lost a permission that was a huge farm that I had found stuff as early as war of 1812 and also early native American artifacts. Seems that one of the sons who worked the farm and was the POC for permission had departed and another brother took over. The second brother indicated that they had a family meeting and decided that they would no longer allow others on the property as they had nephews and nieces that wanted to start the hobby. I thanked them for the number of years they had graciously allowed me access and offered to mentor the family members who wanted to get into the hobby as well as directing them to the areas that I had found stuff. Not holding my breath for a return call though.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, more and more places getting posted all the time, sad. Congrats on the nickel!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dang it on losing the permission, sweet V nickel though! thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread