What's new

Two "Whattizzits" from a CW Camp

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
5,249
Reaction score
1,102
Golden Thread
1
Location
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Two "Whattizzits" from a CW Camp

My friends and I have been detecting at an old farm site which has given up many different CW buttons and coins, as well as other items one would expect at a military camp such as thimbles, grommets, etc. The site is undocumented as a camp, and although there were no battles in NJ, its proximity to rail lines and waterways lead us to believe that this may have been a camp used by soldiers returning from the war in neighboring states such as PA, MD etc.

There have also been a number of unidentified relics, such as the two pictured. The large disk appears to have some type of crests with crosses on one side, and a wreath or floral design on the other. It is fairly thin and was bent in half when I found it. I carefully unbent it.

The other item appears to be a buckle plate made of iron, but I may be way off. Its arrowhead shape may just be random corrosion.

Any help is appreciated!!
 

Attachments

  • P4250003a.webp
    P4250003a.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 263
  • P4250003a.webp
    P4250003a.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 246
  • P4260001a.webp
    P4260001a.webp
    104.6 KB · Views: 249
  • P4260006a.webp
    P4260006a.webp
    156.8 KB · Views: 262
  • P4260001b.webp
    P4260001b.webp
    151.6 KB · Views: 244
  • P4260009.webp
    P4260009.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 242
  • P4260013.webp
    P4260013.webp
    97.2 KB · Views: 261
Re: Two "Whattizzits" from a CW Camp

I can't be of any help on an ID for these. Sorry But the next time you want to bend something brass or copper try boiling it in water. Get it good and hot, take it out and slowly bend it. You may not be able to get it straight on the first try as it will cool .If you have to put it back in the water and let it get hot again. I've heard of someone using vegetable oil but I've always have used water and it has worked fine. I've straightened everything from hatpins to buckles this way. The main thing is take your time.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Two "Whattizzits" from a CW Camp

i think your first "what is it" is a lid or bottom to an old compact, make-up lid/bottom
 
Upvote 0
Re: Two "Whattizzits" from a CW Camp

What does it say on the tag underneath the Navy button? It appears to say JACKSON.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Two "Whattizzits" from a CW Camp

bigcypresshunter said:
What does it say on the tag underneath the Navy button? It appears to say JACKSON.

It says Albert E Jackson and has an address. The address comes up as this house (Courtesy of Google Maps)
 

Attachments

  • 62s bridgeboro.webp
    62s bridgeboro.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 62s bridgeboro.webp
    62s bridgeboro.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom