What's new

Type of arrowhead?

collector01

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
1,377
Reaction score
1,142
Golden Thread
1
Location
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back out today at the river but only got a few pieces of pottery. Nickel size and some flint. I'll keep going to I find a arrowhead. I was putting away my finds and came across this point I found several years ago on a beach. I was just wondering if someone knew the type. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • 1435287676353.webp
    1435287676353.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
Hello there, I believe that would be a "Fox Creek", or "Steubenville" type point. Around our area they are usually made by percussion flaking, with little or no pressure flaking, and they are usually made of rhyolite or argillite materials, as yours appears to be. They are thought to be roughly 1500 to 2000 years old. That is a nice example, the ones I come across are usually broken.
PS. I like the brown corner notched point visible in your background. HH
 
Thanks! The corner notch my grandmother found back in the 50s along with the pipe and indian head penny below it. She gave it to me the year before she passed. She's one of the biggest reasons I got into this hobby. Thanks again for ID
 
How can you tell Ohio? Do you know years? Thanks nice to know where it came from . always just figured common mid 1800s
 
How can you tell Ohio? Do you know years? Thanks nice to know where it came from . always just figured common mid 1800s

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42613470@N00/sets/72157602945863364/

Clay Trade Pipes

"The Akron Smoking Pipe Company operated in Mogadore, Summit County, Ohio from 1885 to 1895. It also had branch factories in Point Pleasant, Ohio and Hampton, Virginia as late as 1908. These are reed stemmed pipes. The maker's marks for American made pipes of this type are generally in the bottom of the bowl."
 
Last edited:
Thanks
 
Butler: Clay Products

I lived in Mogadore in the late 1960s and dug several thousand pipes out of the local dumps. When we moved to North Carolina in 71, I brought over 5,000 pipes with me. That was not the most common type but still fairly common.
 
Wow and I'm happy with finding several.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom