"Type" point casts

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
"Type" point casts

As some of you know, I have been working on casting some of the original "type" point namesakes. Here are a couple that I have done recently.

Below is a cast I made of the original Searcy point. It is made of Pitkin chert with heavy Calcium Carbonate deposits. Excavated from Calf Creek Cave in Searcy Co. Arkansas and named by Don Dickson. It is illustrated in the Bell / Perino guides.

Attachments

• searcy.jpg
    searcy.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 344
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Re: "Type" point casts

Next is a cast of the original Calf Creek point. This point was excavated by Don Dickson out of Calf Creek Cave by Don and is pictured in the Bell / Perino Guides. It is made of Pitkin chert with light Calcium Carbonate deposits.

Attachments

• calfcreekcast.jpg
    calfcreekcast.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 341
OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

Next is just a fun lil game. In amongst these casts is the ORIGINAL Calf Creek point. Can you spot the original amongst all of it's resin counterparts?

Attachments

• calfgroup.jpg
    calfgroup.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 335

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

I said it before and I'll say it again- you do some outstanding work! I am perplexed- No idea how you do it, I'm guessing it's a trade secret so to speak but if not can you shed some light on how you make these casts? As for the real calf creek.....I don't know, if you drop them all on the floor one at a time I could tell... ;)

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

Ok...the answer is: 2 O'Clock. The original Calf Creek point is in between the top right hand one, and the center. Its' approximately in the 2 O'clock position on the inside row. The slight hue variations that you see in a few of the casts are due to lighting.

I appreciate the comment Cannonman, thanks! I am now working on the rest of the Calf Creek points from Calf Creek Cave (more of the "type" illustrated examples). I should be able to offer all of the Calf casts from the type site as a group before long.

The casts are made of resin. Exact cast clones of the original, except for weight.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, those are fantastic, Matt. Those few extras you can pack them up and send to me. ;D ;D ;D

;) RR

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

TY for the kind replies! I have cast alot more recently and will try to take some pictures and post them also.

Matt

T

TreasureTales

Excellent work. I wouldn't mind finding one of those next time I'm out. LOL Let's see some more, please.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting