✅ SOLVED U.S.Button - Navy or USMC

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all - I dug this out of a bin of about 500 buttons at my grandmother’s house. There are about a dozen of them in there. I cannot find an exact example online - but I’m thinking WW1 USMC. It’s two pieces w a brazed shank. I do not understand how to interpret the Scovill back marks. The guides place this back mark at either post 1902 or just after the U.S. civil war. I see examples of U.S. buttons online from both of those eras, but not with the eagle w the elongated neck. It is brass or bronze and a bit larger than a U.S. Quarter. Any insight is much appreciated.

Marked “Scovill Mf’g Co. Waterbury”

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510828597.880539.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510828560.174463.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your guess is correct... US Marines button, and the "black finish" on it dates from the World War One era to 1923.

That specific version of Scovill Mf'g. Co (dot) / Waterbury (dot) with no ring(s) of any kind backmark is 20th-Century.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your guess is correct... US Marines button, and the "black finish" on it dates from the World War One era to 1923.

That specific version of Scovill Mf'g. Co (dot) / Waterbury (dot) with no ring(s) of any kind backmark is 20th-Century.

Thanks a lot man. Much obliged.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread