What's new

U.S.M.C. Collar pin age needed

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always say, Find the biggest damn tree where your detecting, and you will find something cool. That's the case here anyway.Laying about 2/1/2 inches atop a big root laid this cool Marine pin/screw back. Can any one tell me WW1 or WW2? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • DSC00062.webp
    DSC00062.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC00061.webp
    DSC00061.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC00058.webp
    DSC00058.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 241
Don't know exactly, same as when I served '73 - '77. Not sure but I think if it was much older there would be more of green patina showing. Better to get one of the military collectors thoughts though.
 
Upvote 0
The WWI design had longitudinal lines as well as the latitudinal ones. I believe the switch was made in 1936, so it would date after that.
The back is actually referred to as a screw-back rather than a pin-back, which has the two pins that jab you whenever you lose one of the backings.
 
Upvote 0
Modern, same as mine 74 thru 86. Just looked at an old uniform to make sure. :icon_pirat:
 
Upvote 0
If you were able to loosen up the backing nut it may have a marking to narrow it down further. A lot of these were made by N.S.Meyer, who changed their markings over the years.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom