metaldetectingtaylor
Full Member
- Joined
- Mar 21, 2011
- Messages
- 155
- Reaction score
- 120
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- Massachusetts
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Explorer SE Pro
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting

metaldetectingtaylor said:Thanks for all the info and insight.
Breezy, that is indeed my lock but there is no description on it![]()
Breezie said:
Kenosha Kid said:Breezie said:
You might be able to track down the manufacturer by the key in the link that Breezie posted. It looks like lettering on the key but I can't make out anything but ?LA and then a Y or X. It's a long shot but it's an unusual key, too.
PBK said:...It's a warded brass padlock made around 100-110 years ago. Most aren't marked, but Franklin M. Arnall's The Padlock Collector identifies the maker as the E. T. Fraim Lock Co. of Lancaster, PA. Although it's sometimes listed as a lock from a U.S. mail bag, and on eBay some sellers have also called it a military lock, in fact it was a retail item sold in local hardware stores and mail order catalogs— not an official government lock. "US" was just the model name. When RFD mail delivery began, many people bought these "US" locks to use on rural mailboxes. There were also locks with "MAIL," "RR" (for Rural Route), and other official-looking names that were sold for the same purpose.
bigcypresshunter said:Tip of the day: sometimes the best place to search is right here at TN in the old "What Is It" posts. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,121610.0.html
Kenosha Kid said:You might be able to track down the manufacturer by the key in the link that Breezie posted. It looks like lettering on the key but I can't make out anything but ?LA and then a Y or X. It's a long shot but it's an unusual key, too.
Im sorry I didnt study the posted links. This lock has been found by many TN members over the years and it holds up well underground. The pic is from my padlock book. My guess on a date range is 1890-1915.Kenosha Kid said:Your ID of it being a Fraim lock led to what is most likely the letters on the key :
Im sorry I dont understand. bigcypresshunter said:Im sorry I didnt study the posted links. This lock has been found by many TN members over the years and it holds up well underground. The pic is from my padlock book. My guess on a date range is 1890-1915.Kenosha Kid said:Your ID of it being a Fraim lock led to what is most likely the letters on the key :
The letters on the key mean what?![]()
Im sorry I dont understand.
![]()

Ah OK thanks for explaining. 8) I agree use any clueKenosha Kid said:bigcypresshunter said:Im sorry I didnt study the posted links. This lock has been found by many TN members over the years and it holds up well underground. The pic is from my padlock book. My guess on a date range is 1890-1915.Kenosha Kid said:Your ID of it being a Fraim lock led to what is most likely the letters on the key :
The letters on the key mean what?![]()
Im sorry I dont understand.
![]()
I'd suggested (before your ID) that it might be possible to ID the lock by the letters on the key in Breezie's link. Of course, the key shown may not have originally gone to that lock shown but from what I saw, "?LA and then a Y or X", it might say "SLAYMAKER" on the key. Just an attempt to ID this by another means. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain ...![]()
http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-60025/antique-us-padlock-and-key.html http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-60025/antique-us-padlock-and-key.html