Ugh ebay buyers!!!

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Ok, I sold an antique Singer sewing machine for $50 on eBay and I get a message that says the base is broken. Well, guess what? I know nothing about sewing machines and so I made it very clear in the listing that it is sold AS IS! I said it twice in big capital letters! The guy wants a refund! What do I do?! I tried to explain to him that the listing said it was sold as is but he still insists on a refund.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Refund upon return at the buyers expense. I never had a buyer want to return anything but I would if they paid the return postage. I evan had a lost item and the buyer did not know it until I brought to thier attention. I sucked up the lose, repaid what they bought if for, post office refunded the postage. Now they are a repeat customer. A good bussiness man takes care of the customer. That is how I would deal with it, what you do is up to you.

Last edited:

matt

Greenie
Apr 24, 2012
MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, white's coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coppercrazy said:
Ok, I sold an antique Singer sewing machine for $50 on eBay and I get a message that says the base is broken. Well, guess what? I know nothing about sewing machines and so I made it very clear in the listing that it is sold AS IS! I said it twice in big capital letters! The guy wants a refund! What do I do?! I tried to explain to him that the listing said it was sold as is but he still insists on a refund.

I sell a lot on eBay myself and if you put in the description sold as is and no returns then you should have no big problem. Just remember to try to be nice so you don't get bad feedback but they still mite just because you didn't give them a refund.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I mean, if I refunded then I would be out $25 for shipping cost. I made it very clear no returns and that it was sold as is. Is there anything I could do to avoid negative feedback?

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
You know what? I don't really care because there are more important things to worry about in life than a negative feedback on eBay. I didn't do anything wrong and it isn't my fault the buyer didn't read the description, if that's the case.

matt

Greenie
Apr 24, 2012
MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coppercrazy said:
You know what? I don't really care because there are more important things to worry about in life than a negative feedback on eBay. I didn't do anything wrong and it isn't my fault the buyer didn't read the description, if that's the case.

I didn't say ya did man I was just trying to help you out cuz I have been in the same spot. Some people you just can't please!

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
matt said:
I didn't say ya did man I was just trying to help you out cuz I have been in the same spot. Some people you just can't please!

Oh no I was just saying in general, it wasn't meant at all in a nasty way. I am part of this forum to meet nice people that enlighten me and try to help me out.

matt

Greenie
Apr 24, 2012
MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coppercrazy said:
Oh no I was just saying in general, it wasn't meant at all in a nasty way. I am part of this forum to meet nice people that enlighten me and try to help me out.

You could give eBay help line a call to! they mite be able to help you out. I know it sucks iv have some people that are just nuts and could not make happy but I guess that's eBay :/

garrettJL

Jul 19, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2,Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did the buyer pay? If he used paypal, let him file a claim. They will review the add as well as allow you to give your side of the story. If it's clearly stated in the add, I don't see them siding with the buyer. Hope it works out for you!

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
thats true,but your account might get locked up for awhile...i would call ebay or paypal and see what they say....you could challenge the neg feedback...but havin your money froze might be a major pain....

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Ha he must be a pro at this because he claims he received a different one from the one in the picture...good move. I never even took a picture of the base, only each side of the machine and the case. He is just trying to find a way to get out of it I think.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I called PayPal and they said that I will have to refund the buyer probably.
Well when i sell on Ebay .. I take pictures of all sides and top and bottom.... And if i see anthing that i wrong i point it out.......... If you give him a refund tell him he will have to pay the postage back to you AND you will refund what he paid for the item but you will not refund the postage it cost you to send it to him.....So if he paid you 50.00 plus 25.00 shipping.... Just refund the 50.00 Then put it up for sale again ... Don't refund the postage to him it cost you to send it.........

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha he must be a pro at this because he claims he received a different one from the one in the picture...good move. I never even took a picture of the base, only each side of the machine and the case. He is just trying to find a way to get out of it I think.

perhaps he had one with a broken base & Is trying to pull a switch & Get a free fix

I've heard of people doing this.
Buying items then returning one in lesser condition.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
I called PayPal and they said that I will have to refund the buyer probably.
Why ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO WHAT I AM TELLING YOU?? Paypal has nothing to do with the sell except accepting payment that is it.... YOU NEED TO CALL EBAY .. Also BUYER ALWAYS PAYS SHIPPING AFTER SALE AN TO RETURN...

Lemon

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2012
Mancora - Peru
Detector(s) used
looking for one, wanna find some goldflakes/nuggets
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just contact e-bay, maybe they can help you with it!

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you didnt tell him or take a picture of the crack its on you. "as is" usually refers to something electronic where there is no visual way of telling if something is good. I sell on ebay alot you have to inspect what you sell and lay it all out for the buyer to make a decision did you notice a crack or is he/she trying to pull a fast one? You did say no refunds but its kinda like a moral issue now IF there was a crack initially :dontknow:JMHO, jhar

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions