Ugh ebay buyers!!!

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Protect you Ebay feedback number !
I ALWAYS sell with insured postage. That way they have to prove damage to the Post Office. We learn the hard way. Chances are if he has to pay return postage he will just keep it. Follow the rules and be nice (You know- like you would like to be treated). Post all your info up front and add: ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE BIDDING.
Ebay can be a great resource.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
creeper71 said:
Why ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO WHAT I AM TELLING YOU?? Paypal has nothing to do with the sell except accepting payment that is it.... YOU NEED TO CALL EBAY .. Also BUYER ALWAYS PAYS SHIPPING AFTER SALE AN TO RETURN...

I contacted eBay a few hours ago and said a case is going to be filed and opened and I will probably have to refund the buyer the $50 + $25 shipping, but he will have to pay return shipping. I just won't sell on eBay anymore if I'm going to have to deal with this crap.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
jharhed said:
Well if you didnt tell him or take a picture of the crack its on you. "as is" usually refers to something electronic where there is no visual way of telling if something is good. I sell on ebay alot you have to inspect what you sell and lay it all out for the buyer to make a decision did you notice a crack or is he/she trying to pull a fast one? You did say no refunds but its kinda like a moral issue now IF there was a crack initially :dontknow:JMHO, jhar
. It apparently happened during shipment, but he originally said there was a crack and then said he got a different machine. I have a feeling he broke the machine just to get a refund and say it was damaged during shipment.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CALL EBAY TALK TO THEM, THEY HAVE BUYER PROTECTION IF HE DESERVES HIS MONEY BACK THEY WILL PAY HIM WITH THERE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

A nice thought but absolutely untrue.

The seller in this case is at fault if there was damage they didn't notice, or didn't show. (if the buyer is telling the truth)

It's in your best interest to try and avoid a claim and make a deal he can return it for the purchase price back. I doubt he will agree to that, and will probably file a claim to get the full amount, and PP will no doubt give it to him. When you sell on ebay it's up to you to do your best to prevent problems and just saying as-is won't cut it in most cases if there's something being hid. PP/Ebay favors buyer greatly so when there's an issue and you're the seller you should expect the short end of the stick most times. That's just how it is, and that's why you have to be smart as a seller to avoid the BS.... because even sellers who do absolutely everything right are still going to catch their share of problems even if they are not justified. Like a bar takes losses for spillage, when you sell on ebay you have to account for losses as well, it's the nature of the game. Some will cry at the first time they lose a few dollars and quit, but the better sellers learn how best to deal with it and are successful. All you can do is your best and whatever happens, happens.

Last edited:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
A nice thought but absolutely untrue.

The seller in this case is at fault if there was damage they didn't notice, or didn't show. (if the buyer is telling the truth)

It's in your best interest to try and avoid a claim and make a deal he can return it for the purchase price back. I doubt he will agree to that, and will probably file a claim to get the full amount, and PP will no doubt give it to him. When you sell on ebay it's up to you to do your best to prevent problems and just saying as-is won't cut it in most cases if there's something being hid. PP/Ebay favors buyer greatly so when there's an issue and you're the seller you should expect the short end of the stick most times. That's just how it is, and that's why you have to be smart as a seller to avoid the BS.... because even sellers who do absolutely everything right are still going to catch their share of problems even if they are not justified. Like a bar takes losses for spillage, when you sell on ebay you have to account for losses as well, it's the nature of the game. Some will cry at the first time they lose a few dollars and quit, but the better sellers learn how best to deal with it and are successful. All you can do is your best and whatever happens, happens.
I disagree IP I have dealt with Ebay with sitiuation like this on a sellers point a veiw an What I wrote you disagree with is exactly what Ebay has told me more then once.. That is what BUYERS PROTECTION PLAN is for...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
IP nailed it exactly. This topic has been discussed to great lengths by some pros on here in the past.

I would basically take this as one of "life's lessons" and use that knowledge for the next time. The ebay game can be played with success, just tread carefully.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree IP I have dealt with Ebay with sitiuation like this on a sellers point a veiw an What I wrote you disagree with is exactly what Ebay has told me more then once.. That is what BUYERS PROTECTION PLAN is for...

Ebay takes the money from the seller, does not pay out of their own pocket. If they did, you'd see them rule the other way more often, in favor of the seller. As a seller you're often put between a rock and a hard place and all you can do is go with the best choice of 2 or more bad options. I learned a long time ago there's no point to fight most cases as it's just a headache and stress that probably cost me more money in the end. But every one in a while I will admit there's someone that is just so brutal I'll tell them what I think make them work for it, but that's usually just a time delay because PP will probably take their side.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Ebay takes the money from the seller, does not pay out of their own pocket. If they did, you'd see them rule the other way more often, in favor of the seller.
I disagree again.. I had this happen 3 times an Ebay refund my money to me an the person working at Ebay said Ebay will pay thebuyer I said not with my money ..they said no your getting a refund Ebay is going to use there own money to pay buyer

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Why ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO WHAT I AM TELLING YOU?? Paypal has nothing to do with the sell except accepting payment that is it.... YOU NEED TO CALL EBAY .. Also BUYER ALWAYS PAYS SHIPPING AFTER SALE AN TO RETURN...
I know for a fact that sellers do not refund the shipping cost.....For i have never refunded a shipping cost.... Just tell the buyer you will refund the cost of the object but will not refund any shipping cost........ He will probably will agree to that........... But if you sent him a broken item and did not put that in your listing ...That is a different story You tell the buyer that you will refund his item cost but not the shipping cost... they will agree to that at least they always do for me...

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Ebay must have been MIA the 40 or so times I've had a payment frozen because of a buyer claim.

So where's the step they interject? When a buyer files a claim the payment is immediately frozen in the sellers Paypal. They then must provide tracking, agree to refund, or let PP decide, which is a yes or no answer. At what point does ebay say forget about all this, we have lots of money!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Well Ebay must have been MIA the 40 or so times I've had a payment frozen because of a buyer claim.

So where's the step they interject? When a buyer files a claim the payment is immediately frozen in the sellers Paypal. They then must provide tracking, agree to refund, or let PP decide, which is a yes or no answer. At what point does ebay say forget about all this, we have lots of money!
Must have been MIA for you IP.. I had to escalate the issue with ebay then they had to look it over an say yes or no.. My money was frozen like you said but in the end I got it back .. Bad part about this is once you have to go thru this crap no matter how good of a seller rating you have your money is always frozen for 21days until you reach what ever number of positive feedback they want you to have mine was 25 positive

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. In the future, take tons of pictures and put up as many as you can. Completly inspect every inch of the item you're selling and if you see anything that seems odd, draw attention to it even if you think it's ok. Let the buyer make the decision to bid or not. It's called covering ones butt!

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont give up on ebay, you've learned a valuable lesson.

killian110

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
If you didn't take a picture of the base and it was broken then you did not fully disclose the condition of the item. You owe the guy a refund if that is the case. If you plan on trying to make a living or supplement your income with ebay negative feedback does matter.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Well, the item wasn't cracked before I shipped it, but after he received it it was. I cut the buyer to refund $25 to pay to get the crack repaired, better than me having to refund and pay $25 to get it shipped back. I did learn a valuable lesson to:

1 Not ship things economy shipping unless you are going to wrap the item in bubble wrap a billion times
2 Always purchase insurance on items
3 Not give up on eBay

Thanks everyone for the help and advice! I'll be sure to be more careful next time, lost almost all of my profit, but it happens.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, life is nothing but lessons. Packing is very important also. I always over pack anything I ship. I never trust the mail, UPS or Fedex. I once worked for a computer monitor repair company and we actually had a customer send in a monitor for service in an empty box, No packing material at all, sitting on it's swivel base. True story. The amazing part it wasn't damaged! Go figure. But the point is if you think you added enough bubble wrap or peanuts, add more. Never can be too careful.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the item wasn't cracked before I shipped it, but after he received it it was. I cut the buyer to refund $25 to pay to get the crack repaired, better than me having to refund and pay $25 to get it shipped back. I did learn a valuable lesson to:

1 Not ship things economy shipping unless you are going to wrap the item in bubble wrap a billion times
2 Always purchase insurance on items

No, you ship economy and do the billion bubble wrap thing. Upgraded shipping only decreases time, does not increase protection. (unless you think getting it there quicker means less chance of damage, but that's a bad strategy)

You should only purchase insurance that's appropriate to cover a loss because you're packing should be good enough to make it. For anything fragile you won't win a claim anyway unless the packing was sufficient and it was basically destroyed. Plus claims suck to deal with and I have walked away from as much as $100 just because I didn't want the hassle.

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always ship priority mail myself.
I always give the buyer a choice,but in my experience on ebay,priority mail is hand held to the next person,or truck,or what ever.
So there is definitely a less chance of breakage since a machine is not being used.
I have been selling since 06,and have never had a broken or complaint.Ever.
Big lesson here,Packaging,and peanuts,and bubble wrap.
They are your best buddys.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I get free bubble wrap from a company, but is there anywhere that I can get peanuts fairly cheap?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions