What's new

Ultimate weapon against greedy bad tellers

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
2,260
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I was curious too, has anyone used the ultimate weapon against a teller for not giving you Ag coins that you see in their tray. The ultimate weapon would be to threaten to write up a complaint about poor customer service to corporate headquarters. I think that would have them scared. It's scary because it could bypass their supervisor who could be their friend who might stick up for them. It sounds really mean and I have never done that. But I guess if they had $500 face value in 90%ers, I would consider it if they wouldn't give me any. No one wants a written formal complaint from a customer on their record. Employment write ups are bad especially if they want to one day be promoted and because they're written and are sort of permanent unless someone in HR pulls them. I've however done the opposite for people who've ordered me boxes. I've given them positive written forms and forwarded them to their managers. Just wondering if people considered using this. Threating them with it to get your coins.
 
Upvote 0
LOL

Man I have been missing out on a lot since iv'e been back to work.

It's clear that us CRH's are passionate people.

Mojo :coffee2:
 
coinmojo said:
LOL

Man I have been missing out on a lot since iv'e been back to work.

It's clear that us CRH's are passionate people.

Mojo :coffee2:
Good to see you mojo! Hope you've been doing well.
HH
enamel7
 
SFbay-- You need to read your own post instead of telling other people that they did not. What you quoted back to MTS is wrong. You didnt say in your original post you saw three rolls.You said you thought you saw. One means you saw, the other means you arent sure what you saw. Below are the quotes. Now maybe you just had typos, but these quotes below are what we are basing our opinions on.

Quote "I thought I saw three rolls ......" I dont have to be an ex law enforcement officer to know that when someone says they thought they saw means they have at least some doubt in what is or is not. You are now flat out accusing this teller of lying after a few of us board members give you crap about being a lil rude.

Quote "I swore I thought I saw three rolls. She said there was only two rolls." So again you thought you saw three and wasnt convinced yourself that there was three. Now after a few days what you "thought" you saw has somehow manifested into a holier than thou war with a teller you are possitive has lied to you and is deserving of getting into trouble for lying when you arent sure she lied in the first place. I believe the subject change to her lying is to cover for the fact that you had no idea of this branches policy on tellers keeping coinage.

I do agree however with Ltrain that i appreciate you sticking to your guns. Not because it shows pride but because it simply makes me look like the guy to give that silver to instead of the jerk who "thought" he saw something.
 
SFBayArea said:
Rakattack said:
SFBayArea said:
If you see a bag of $500 face value in 90%ers, and the teller denies you when you ask for $10 worth. Is that too unreasonable?

Bad example. You SEE, AND ARE SURE OF SEEING $500 in 90%ers and they offer you $10. You said you THOUGHT, I'll say again, THOUGHT you saw 3 rolls when she offered you two.

Big difference.

So what if you go into the bank next time and you find out that teller was fired out of your complaints because she didn't give you $5 in silver and now her family is starving. Seriously SFBay, you need to learn some manners, and this is coming from a 15 year old.

Ratattack

The example I mentioned is completely different what made me think of this topic. The example is if you saw and knew they had $500 face in 90%er and you're asking the teller if you can get $10 face of it. That is not greedy and unreasonable.

The actual incident was when I saw 3 rolls. I thought they were IKES. I had no clue what was in them. I asked for one. I looked at it and only saw the end coin. The roll said 65-69. I said I will take all of them. At no point, did they object to me taking them. I was given another roll and when I looked up the girl had the cabinet door blocking the cabinet. She said there was no more. She didn't seem to want to give me any of them in the first place. I said in the beginning I wanted to look at the large brown rolls, she shows me small black wrapper dollar coins which she had a ton of. There's no reason why she needed to have the view blocked all of a sudden. The difference between the two is that I did not know what was in all of the rolls until I got to the car whereas the example I posed did. I do not like to be lied to period. If she objected early on and said she wanted the rolls for herself. I would've been fine with it. These are completely different scenarios meant to talk about my reasons for complaining.

You're also doing the same thing as MTS, you're exaggerating it and making up things that didn't occur. This wasn't over $5 and the girl was like in her early twenties. How would you know whether she has a family to support. Maybe she lives at home with her folks. You don't know all the details but are making assumptions. Don't be quick to judge until you get your facts straight. Like I said, I've been offered a couple of silver dimes by a teller before and I told him to keep them.

How can you be sure she doesn't have a family to support? Sure, I misread your post I quoted. Sorry. But you are overreacting over $10 in silver. That's what everyone is trying to say to you. Move on, the world isn't ending, the sky isn't falling and you aren't Chicken Little.

Just my 2 cents.
 
I don't know if she has a family to support but she was young and younger than me. But you don't know either whether she has a family or not to support. Like I said, maybe she's supported by her parents and she does this as a part time job while she goes to school. She wasn't there the next day when I returned to the branch. You can't make these assumptions if you don't know the facts first hand. I'm not going to make any assumptions about her personal life unless there's evidence or facts to back up my assertions.

Sorry but the roll was a $20 face roll. The others I got in the rolls were at a minimum all 40%ers. So a $20 face value roll would be $160 at current silver prices. It's not chump change. Read my thread about my best bank find and you'll get the whole story.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,370567.0.html

I want to move on as well however people keep posting comments about me being selfish, misconstruing what I said, and making assumptions about the situation without knowing all the facts. For those baseless comments, I have to respond.
 
JD-GA said:
SFbay-- You need to read your own post instead of telling other people that they did not. What you quoted back to MTS is wrong. You didnt say in your original post you saw three rolls.You said you thought you saw. One means you saw, the other means you arent sure what you saw. Below are the quotes. Now maybe you just had typos, but these quotes below are what we are basing our opinions on.

Quote "I thought I saw three rolls ......" I dont have to be an ex law enforcement officer to know that when someone says they thought they saw means they have at least some doubt in what is or is not. You are now flat out accusing this teller of lying after a few of us board members give you crap about being a lil rude.

Quote "I swore I thought I saw three rolls. She said there was only two rolls." So again you thought you saw three and wasnt convinced yourself that there was three. Now after a few days what you "thought" you saw has somehow manifested into a holier than thou war with a teller you are possitive has lied to you and is deserving of getting into trouble for lying when you arent sure she lied in the first place. I believe the subject change to her lying is to cover for the fact that you had no idea of this branches policy on tellers keeping coinage.

I do agree however with Ltrain that i appreciate you sticking to your guns. Not because it shows pride but because it simply makes me look like the guy to give that silver to instead of the jerk who "thought" he saw something.

Read this original post which I wrote the day it happened. Sorry if it wasn't clear in this thread since I thought most people here had read my original post which was written days ago. I stated in the original post that I thought she was lying to me.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,370567.0.html

I said "I thought" because I saw three rolls in the beginning in her cabinet below but she claimed that there was no more. Ok the totality of circumstances added up to her lying to me is based on more than her statement but also her behavior. 1) First, I saw three large brown rolls in the cabinet by her knees. 2) When I mentioned about those rolls, I asked "are those large dollar coins" because I thought they were IKE rolls, she acted funny by not grabbing them at all. She grabbed the rolls of small dollar coins which were in black rolls. I did say "large". 3) I had to say it twice again, to make her understand. No, those in the brown wrappers. She was extremely slow to act. I've been to many branches and been CRHing for 10 years and this was unusually slow for someone to react like this. 4) Finally she grabbed one and gave it to me. I inspected it and noticed one silver one the edge. The roll said 65-69. I said I wanted the rest. When I looked up she only gave me one and all of a sudden the cabinet door was blocking my view. 5) I also made the mistake of saying these "look old" meaning the wrapper which probably made her think they were definitely worth something. 6) Why would someone all of a sudden block the customer's view of what's in the cabinet? Everything was in plain view when I got there. Why all of a sudden did she not want me to see what was in her cabinet. I'm not a bank robber. 7) She said to me there was no more. Which is contradictary to what I saw in the beginning. These are the circumstances in this situation add up to her lying to me. Ever heard the expression "if it walks like a duck, acts like a duck.. you know the rest".

There's nothing wrong with me saying "Well, I thought I saw this" to counter her statement of how many rolls there were according to her. My thoughts are my thoughts just like you say "I believe" this or that. It is symmantics for stating your opinion which may be contradictary to what someone else says. In this case, it was contradictary to what she said. There was nothing that I did during the encounter that was rude or jerk-like. I asked for all of the rolls and I got two of them. I'm happy with what I got but the lying part bothered me. I didn't make this up just days after. Read the original post. I mentioned she could've been honest with me on the first paragraph.

I never mentioned that I knew what this bank's specific policy on this was because I don't. Only did I go back the next day, did the guy working there say, well if it's not here, she probably took it or something to that effect. Meaning they can take or buy up rolls if they want. JD-GA, you need to do your own research if you going to accuse me of something. Saying that I'm trying to cover up that I didn't know what's the bank's policy is baseless. I wrote that many different branches have their own policies despite being under the same name. It's up to the manager. I don't care if the manager lets them take home coins. I wrote that I've spoken to a merchant teller before that accumulated good amounts of silver. I don't have a problem with that. I wrote that they have constant access to coins and currency due to the nature of their job. Like I said a bunch of times, it's the fact that the teller lied to me that made me consider this topic. I've never had a teller lie to me to keep their silver. You think I've never met a teller who also keeps silvers while working during all my 10 years of CRHing? Go back read my post, get your facts straight, and then come back with an argument.
 
SFBayArea said:
I don't know if she has a family to support but she was young and younger than me. But you don't know either whether she has a family or not to support. Like I said, maybe she's supported by her parents and she does this as a part time job while she goes to school. She wasn't there the next day when I returned to the branch. You can't make these assumptions if you don't know the facts first hand. I'm not going to make any assumptions about her personal life unless there's evidence or facts to back up my assertions.

Sorry but the roll was a $20 face roll. The others I got in the rolls were at a minimum all 40%ers. So a $20 face value roll would be $160 at current silver prices. It's not chump change. Read my thread about my best bank find and you'll get the whole story.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,370567.0.html

I want to move on as well however people keep posting comments about me being selfish, misconstruing what I said, and making assumptions about the situation without knowing all the facts. For those baseless comments, I have to respond.

So you live off of coin roll hunting?
 
SFBayArea said:
I was curious too, has anyone used the ultimate weapon against a teller for not giving you Ag coins that you see in their tray. The ultimate weapon would be to threaten to write up a complaint about poor customer service to corporate headquarters. I think that would have them scared. It's scary because it could bypass their supervisor who could be their friend who might stick up for them. It sounds really mean and I have never done that. But I guess if they had $500 face value in 90%ers, I would consider it if they wouldn't give me any. No one wants a written formal complaint from a customer on their record. Employment write ups are bad especially if they want to one day be promoted and because they're written and are sort of permanent unless someone in HR pulls them. I've however done the opposite for people who've ordered me boxes. I've given them positive written forms and forwarded them to their managers. Just wondering if people considered using this. Threating them with it to get your coins.

A bank is an institution that customers trust to be the caretakers of their money. So it is imperative that the workers there be honest.
If I were a manager of a bank,and found an employee lying,that would be grounds for immediate dismissal.
Unfortunately we live at a time where lying is commonplace,and acceptable in all walks of life. Honor has taken a walk. So perhaps,a written complaint should be made, and if the person gets fired, too bad. Maybe it would be a good lesson learned.
Have to start somewhere.
HH
Rich
 
Rich Hartford said:
SFBayArea said:
I was curious too, has anyone used the ultimate weapon against a teller for not giving you Ag coins that you see in their tray. The ultimate weapon would be to threaten to write up a complaint about poor customer service to corporate headquarters. I think that would have them scared. It's scary because it could bypass their supervisor who could be their friend who might stick up for them. It sounds really mean and I have never done that. But I guess if they had $500 face value in 90%ers, I would consider it if they wouldn't give me any. No one wants a written formal complaint from a customer on their record. Employment write ups are bad especially if they want to one day be promoted and because they're written and are sort of permanent unless someone in HR pulls them. I've however done the opposite for people who've ordered me boxes. I've given them positive written forms and forwarded them to their managers. Just wondering if people considered using this. Threating them with it to get your coins.

A bank is an institution that customers trust to be the caretakers of their money. So it is imperative that the workers there be honest.
If I were a manager of a bank,and found an employee lying,that would be grounds for immediate dismissal.
Unfortunately we live at a time where lying is commonplace,and acceptable in all walks of life. Honor has taken a walk. So perhaps,a written complaint should be made, and if the person gets fired, too bad. Maybe it would be a good lesson learned.
Have to start somewhere.
HH
Rich

Like always, Rich is spot on. This has been quite the entertaining thread. So whats next that can stir the bee hive?
 
Rich Hartford said:
A bank is an institution that customers trust to be the caretakers of their money. So it is imperative that the workers there be honest.
If I were a manager of a bank,and found an employee lying,that would be grounds for immediate dismissal.
Unfortunately we live at a time where lying is commonplace,and acceptable in all walks of life. Honor has taken a walk. So perhaps,a written complaint should be made, and if the person gets fired, too bad. Maybe it would be a good lesson learned.
Have to start somewhere.
HH
Rich


Funny how this argument has drifted from the original post. SF Bay had asked in the original post about a teller not giving coins in their till in reference to writing a complaint, not lying, etc. I guess SF Bay felt the heat on here and changed the issue to tellers lying. I can understand that, but let's all keep the facts straight.

But on the topic of lying.... If you ask a teller if they have any rolls of halves that are available and they say no, are they lying if they have some rolls in their drawer and want to keep them for themselves? I say no. If they are unavailable for whatever reason, they are unavailable to you and the teller is not lying. I am not saying I think this is good bank policy for a teller to do, but it would not be lying. Just like if a CRHer comes poaching for your boxes and your friendly teller is holding them for you, when the poacher asks if they have any boxes available the teller would say no. Again, they are not lying because the boxes are not available in that they are spoken for to you. Just like the rolls of halves the teller is keeping for herself, spoken for and not available.

I still think writing complaints about a teller for minor crap like this is a "douche baggy" thing to do, whether it is Christmas time or not. It is one thing to go to the manager verbally and make a plea for the coins, but writing a formal complaint to the bank is wrong. Most likely it would not do anything accept give CRHing more bad marks and further add more fees for boxes and dumps.

All just my opinion.

Jim
 
But on the topic of lying.... If you ask a teller if they have any rolls of halves that are available and they say no, are they lying if they have some rolls in their drawer and want to keep them for themselves? I say no.

Jim,
Of course they would be lying. Unless they were in politics. Then it would just be a mere misstatement. :laughing7:
HH
Rich
 
jim4silver said:
Funny how this argument has drifted from the original post. SF Bay had asked in the original post about a teller not giving coins in their till in reference to writing a complaint, not lying, etc. I guess SF Bay felt the heat on here and changed the issue to tellers lying. I can understand that, but let's all keep the facts straight.

But on the topic of lying.... If you ask a teller if they have any rolls of halves that are available and they say no, are they lying if they have some rolls in their drawer and want to keep them for themselves? I say no. If they are unavailable for whatever reason, they are unavailable to you and the teller is not lying. I am not saying I think this is good bank policy for a teller to do, but it would not be lying. Just like if a CRHer comes poaching for your boxes and your friendly teller is holding them for you, when the poacher asks if they have any boxes available the teller would say no. Again, they are not lying because the boxes are not available in that they are spoken for to you. Just like the rolls of halves the teller is keeping for herself, spoken for and not available.

I still think writing complaints about a teller for minor crap like this is a "douche baggy" thing to do, whether it is Christmas time or not. It is one thing to go to the manager verbally and make a plea for the coins, but writing a formal complaint to the bank is wrong. Most likely it would not do anything accept give CRHing more bad marks and further add more fees for boxes and dumps.

All just my opinion.

Jim

Jim, no I didn't make up this thread simply because bunch of people were complaining. Frankly I don't care if they don't like it. I knew it would be contraversial. If you read the original thread about my bank find pasted below, you will see that the lying part really bothered me and it was a main reason why I thought of this topic. It was stated in the first paragraph. Like I've stated, I'm been doing this for 10 years, I've experienced many tellers that keep coins for themselves but this was the first time that I experienced someone lying to me about this.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,370567.0.html

This scenario is different since I saw how many rolls there were and her behavior was deceptive. She didn't want to grab the rolls, she blocked my view, etc. Just have the guts to say it, "I'm keeping the rest". End of story. It's my perference but I like bluntness and straight forwardness. Call it what you want, lying or not, she was being deception and in my opinion "lying".

I've had boxes given out to other people that I've ordered before. I don't care since I can order another one next week. Sure it's disappointing but not like some teller lying to you.
 
Rakattack said:
So you live off of coin roll hunting?

I think I proved my point to you since you're not longer making these assumptions about what took place. No, I do not live off of coin roll hunting but I am keeping my coins as emergency money. Some things are really expensive. You said you're 15 years old so you're young and don't have to do deal with medical issues that come up to people as they age. It will happen to all of us. I'm just keeping my stash as emergency money. Plus for many, $160 is a whole day's worth of work. It's not chump change.
 
SFBayArea said:
Rakattack said:
So you live off of coin roll hunting?

I think I proved my point to you since you're not longer making these assumptions about what took place. No, I do not live off of coin roll hunting but I am keeping my coins as emergency money. Some things are really expensive. You said you're 15 years old so you're young and don't have to do deal with medical issues that come up to people as they age. It will happen to all of us. I'm just keeping my stash as emergency money. Plus for many, $160 is a whole day's worth of work. It's not chump change.
When did I make an assumption? You clearly stated that you THOUGHT you saw 3 rolls. End of story

On another note, I'm sincerely sorry to hear that your health is declining and good luck!

Merry Christmas to all :thumbsup:
 
Rakattack said:
SFBayArea said:
Rakattack said:
So you live off of coin roll hunting?

I think I proved my point to you since you're not longer making these assumptions about what took place. No, I do not live off of coin roll hunting but I am keeping my coins as emergency money. Some things are really expensive. You said you're 15 years old so you're young and don't have to do deal with medical issues that come up to people as they age. It will happen to all of us. I'm just keeping my stash as emergency money. Plus for many, $160 is a whole day's worth of work. It's not chump change.
When did I make an assumption? You clearly stated that you THOUGHT you saw 3 rolls. End of story

On another note, I'm sincerely sorry to hear that your health is declining and good luck!

Merry Christmas to all :thumbsup:

You stated if I went back and found out the teller got fired and that the teller had a family to feed. You don't know if she has a family to feed. Don't make assumptions. Like I said, "I thought" is not much different than saying it is my opinion or I believe because the teller made a contrary statement as to how many rolls there were. I've explained it all yet you cannot READ. I'm no longer going to explain it to you.
 
uh $160 a days work? -- to bring home 20 clear a hour clear for 8 hours ( one needs a 30 dollar a hour job-- not many of those around these days ) -- very few folks make that kind of money these days -- for a "more normal joe" that brings home * $10 a hour clear ($80 a day)--that $160 --is 2 full days pay
 
Plus for many, $160 is a whole day's worth of work.


I miss my contracting days. Used to make that in 2 hours...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom