What's new

Ultimate weapon against greedy bad tellers

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
2,260
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I was curious too, has anyone used the ultimate weapon against a teller for not giving you Ag coins that you see in their tray. The ultimate weapon would be to threaten to write up a complaint about poor customer service to corporate headquarters. I think that would have them scared. It's scary because it could bypass their supervisor who could be their friend who might stick up for them. It sounds really mean and I have never done that. But I guess if they had $500 face value in 90%ers, I would consider it if they wouldn't give me any. No one wants a written formal complaint from a customer on their record. Employment write ups are bad especially if they want to one day be promoted and because they're written and are sort of permanent unless someone in HR pulls them. I've however done the opposite for people who've ordered me boxes. I've given them positive written forms and forwarded them to their managers. Just wondering if people considered using this. Threating them with it to get your coins.
 
Upvote 0
JD-GA - We're going to have to agree to disagree. Like I said I don't like being lied to.. do you like it when people lie to you? Like I said, if she just said I'm saving the rest for myself, I would've been ok with it. I don't give a Sh#t, if you lie to me, I'm gonna make sure you learn not to lie to me period. Like I said, having been in the law enforcement business, I want to work with people who I can trust especially when your life is on the line. If some teller stoops to lying for her own gain, she's not much better than some crackhead running from the cops or one who steals from her own job. Be honest about it, that's all I care about. I really didn't like the shadyness that people stoop to because they just can't own up to something.

BofA branches out here have a lot of different internal policies based on their branch management. Trust me, I've been to many BofA's out here and I've gotten different policies about things like dumping. There was no uniform policy based on my experience. Some branches have better customer service than others. This simply isn't black and white just like the real world.

Also, please people, don't feel bad if you took a couple of rolls from the teller who wanted it. Remember they work at a bank and they will get that opportunity again. It's not like it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for them. I remember long ago, I had spoken to a merchant teller that keeps silver. She said that over time, she got a good amount. Another teller told me she got a dime box that had 20 keepers in it. She could tell by looking through plastic wrapping. They go through and look through tons of money all the time. They also get older bills like red seal bills. Do Not Feel Bad for them. Some devoted tellers probably have a stash as big as any of us and they don't even have to do a ton of boxes like we do because they get a couple of full rolls of keepers from old ladies unlike sporatic amounts that appear in boxes.
 
The simple fact of the matter is that tellers are obligated to complete a financial transaction, not complete a coin collection or help build wealth through manipulation. Cash your check, pay for that box you ordered etc and move along, everything else related to cherry-picking her coin drawer is above and beyond and more people should be appreciative of that fact.

"Like I said, having been in the law enforcement business, I want to work with people who I can trust especially when your life is on the line. If some teller stoops to lying for her own gain, she's not much better than some crackhead running from the cops or one who steals from her own job."

This particular statement is incredibly off-base and unfair. I doubt that your life has been jeopardized because a teller failed to give you that silver dime your eagle eyes spied in her drawer. Get over yourself already. ::)
 
Blacksheep said:
The simple fact of the matter is that tellers are obligated to complete a financial transaction, not complete a coin collection or help build wealth through manipulation. Cash your check, pay for that box you ordered etc and move along, everything else related to cherry-picking her coin drawer is above and beyond and more people should be appreciative of that fact.

"Like I said, having been in the law enforcement business, I want to work with people who I can trust especially when your life is on the line. If some teller stoops to lying for her own gain, she's not much better than some crackhead running from the cops or one who steals from her own job."

This particular statement is incredibly off-base and unfair. I doubt that your life has been jeopardized because a teller failed to give you that silver dime your eagle eyes spied in her drawer. Get over yourself already. ::)

No, get over yourself. Sorry but I still don't think you understand. If the teller stoops to lying for her own gain, who knows what else she would do while working there? They have a common police oral board question that they ask people, "what do you do if you were out on a call & you see your co-worker take a candy bar from the store? You ask him about it and he says the store owner owed him one anyhow. What do you do?" Sorry but integrity is important in the profession, they have 4 hours in the police academy curiculum solely devoted to ethics and there is also an ethics scenario test that recruits have to pass. I don't think you get the scope of why integrity is important and how it's important in the law enforcement business. I think other people should have integrity too. People will lie. The more they get away with, the more they will lie. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I don't like to lie to people and I don't like to be lied to. Do you like it when people lie to you?

Also that wasn't some single silver dime I saw. Don't exagerize the facts. It a full $20 face value roll that I swore I saw and she claimed she had no more and suddenly blocked the view with the cabinet door. She simply could have been honest and said "I'm saving it for myself" and I would understand and backed off. It just seemed gutless to lie about something like that.
 
SFBayArea said:
Blacksheep said:
The simple fact of the matter is that tellers are obligated to complete a financial transaction, not complete a coin collection or help build wealth through manipulation. Cash your check, pay for that box you ordered etc and move along, everything else related to cherry-picking her coin drawer is above and beyond and more people should be appreciative of that fact.

"Like I said, having been in the law enforcement business, I want to work with people who I can trust especially when your life is on the line. If some teller stoops to lying for her own gain, she's not much better than some crackhead running from the cops or one who steals from her own job."

This particular statement is incredibly off-base and unfair. I doubt that your life has been jeopardized because a teller failed to give you that silver dime your eagle eyes spied in her drawer. Get over yourself already. ::)

No, get over yourself. Sorry but I still don't think you understand. If the teller stoops to lying for her own gain, who knows what else she would do while working there? They have a common police oral board question that they ask people, "what do you do if you were out on a call & you see your co-worker or superviser take a candy bar from the store? You ask him about it and he says the store owner owed him one anyhow. What do you do?" Sorry but integrity is important in the profession, they have 4 hours in the police academy curiculum solely devoted to ethics and there is also an ethics scenario test that recruits have to pass. I don't think you get the scope of why integrity is important and how it's important in the law enforcement business. I think other people should have integrity too. People will lie. The more they get away with, the more they will lie. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I don't like to lie to people and I don't like to be lied to. Do you like it when people lie to you?

Also that wasn't some single silver dime I saw. Don't exagerize the facts. It a full $20 face value roll that I swore I saw and she claimed she had no more and suddenly blocked the view with the cabinet door. She simply could have been honest and said "I'm saving it for myself" and I would understand and backed off. It just seemed gutless to lie about something like that.

It's you who does not understand, you are not her employer, you could not possibly know what is expected of a teller by his/her employer including what answer is given for certain requests above and beyond normal banking procedure. You preach integrity after your initial post, seriously? You are "Joe-blow" as far as tellers or anybody else in any other form of work is concerned, law enforcement or not, you pull your pants on the same as everybody else.

What you did prove to me however, in my humble opinion, is that "Fifedom" is alive and well. :coffee2:
 
ok, phrostie will come in to save the day. let's address a few things.

SFBAY - You didn't see another roll. You didn't see it because it's not there. You didn't get it, get over it. The sooner you do the more able you are to find the next roll. :thumbsup:

To all who agree with pressing banks to give you what's in the tray - get over that, if they give it to you then good, if not, shake it off and get the next one. You guys are over analyzing this...it's just a game / hobby. Isn't what we do all about persistence? Why should it be any different here? I've had a teller that had silver sitting in the tray, the same one, for days on end. Everytime I went in I asked for it. Guess what...I finally got it.

Everyone needs to relax, settle down, and net some Ag. This is SO DUMB, FARREAL!

~phroshizzle
 
Blacksheep said:
SFBayArea said:
Blacksheep said:
The simple fact of the matter is that tellers are obligated to complete a financial transaction, not complete a coin collection or help build wealth through manipulation. Cash your check, pay for that box you ordered etc and move along, everything else related to cherry-picking her coin drawer is above and beyond and more people should be appreciative of that fact.

"Like I said, having been in the law enforcement business, I want to work with people who I can trust especially when your life is on the line. If some teller stoops to lying for her own gain, she's not much better than some crackhead running from the cops or one who steals from her own job."

This particular statement is incredibly off-base and unfair. I doubt that your life has been jeopardized because a teller failed to give you that silver dime your eagle eyes spied in her drawer. Get over yourself already. ::)

No, get over yourself. Sorry but I still don't think you understand. If the teller stoops to lying for her own gain, who knows what else she would do while working there? They have a common police oral board question that they ask people, "what do you do if you were out on a call & you see your co-worker or superviser take a candy bar from the store? You ask him about it and he says the store owner owed him one anyhow. What do you do?" Sorry but integrity is important in the profession, they have 4 hours in the police academy curiculum solely devoted to ethics and there is also an ethics scenario test that recruits have to pass. I don't think you get the scope of why integrity is important and how it's important in the law enforcement business. I think other people should have integrity too. People will lie. The more they get away with, the more they will lie. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I don't like to lie to people and I don't like to be lied to. Do you like it when people lie to you?

Also that wasn't some single silver dime I saw. Don't exagerize the facts. It a full $20 face value roll that I swore I saw and she claimed she had no more and suddenly blocked the view with the cabinet door. She simply could have been honest and said "I'm saving it for myself" and I would understand and backed off. It just seemed gutless to lie about something like that.

It's you who does not understand, you are not her employer, you could not possibly know what is expected of a teller by his/her employer including what answer is given for certain requests above and beyond normal banking procedure. You preach integrity after your initial post, seriously? You are "Joe-blow" as far as tellers or anybody else in any other form of work is concerned, law enforcement or not, you pull your pants on the same as everybody else.

What you did prove to me however, in my humble opinion, is that "Fifedom" is alive and well. :coffee2:

No, sorry but lying to me is poor customer service. I've stated numerous times, if she didn't lie about it, I would let it go. I threw this topic out to see what people thought. Obviously, it's polarized. I talked about giving up what's reasonable. If there's only one silver dime, I don't care if the teller keeps it. I've had a cool teller even offer me 2 silver dimes that he got before and I said you found it, you keep it. That's fine that they think I'm "Joe-blow", doesn't mean they have to stoop to lying. To me, lying is poor customer service, worth getting talked to by management. If I was a manager there, I would be upset if my employee did that. If they want the roll, hide it or say "no". I don't think any manager would like it if they found out the employee lied to a customer. This should be brought to their attention. Yeah I pull my pants on the same but there is a grey scale where people are in terms of integrity. You throw in these random blanketed statements. Have I ever told a lie in my life? Yes I have. Everyone has lied at some point in their lives. However, have I ever lied at work? My answer is No. Sorry, I don't know you personally but maybe we come from different backgrounds. Some people grow up in environments where it's acceptable to lie your way through life. Those people and I would have different opinions on this issue. Since, none of your statements mention anything about lying to customers being wrong, than obviously you don't have a problem with it. That shows where we both stand on the issue. I dunno but maybe you sell lemon cars for a living.

Like I said in the first post, if they have an abundance like $500 face value worth in 90%ers, I don't think it's unreasonable to go ask the manager if I could get say $10 worth despite what the teller says. And yes, I even said in the beginning that it's mean to get people written up for not giving you silver. That's not something I plan on doing to every teller that won't give me a dime in their tray. I stated that I haven't done so but I put up this topic for discussion due to meeting some poor customer service by employees who stoops to lying. That's how I thought of this topic. I personally haven't done this but I don't have a problem with someone else fighting to get a 90%er or one dime. They're a customer and still deserve good service too. Yeah, in that situation, it's the greed of the customer vs. the greed of the teller. There's no clear cut case of who should get it more. In that case, fight to get the single 90%er. People will say the customers should just drop the issue and move on. Well, one can say the same about the teller as well. They come across a ton of coins everyday. They will get another opportunity while getting paid for it.
 
SFBayArea said:
Blacksheep said:
SFBayArea said:
Blacksheep said:
The simple fact of the matter is that tellers are obligated to complete a financial transaction, not complete a coin collection or help build wealth through manipulation. Cash your check, pay for that box you ordered etc and move along, everything else related to cherry-picking her coin drawer is above and beyond and more people should be appreciative of that fact.

"Like I said, having been in the law enforcement business, I want to work with people who I can trust especially when your life is on the line. If some teller stoops to lying for her own gain, she's not much better than some crackhead running from the cops or one who steals from her own job."

This particular statement is incredibly off-base and unfair. I doubt that your life has been jeopardized because a teller failed to give you that silver dime your eagle eyes spied in her drawer. Get over yourself already. ::)

No, get over yourself. Sorry but I still don't think you understand. If the teller stoops to lying for her own gain, who knows what else she would do while working there? They have a common police oral board question that they ask people, "what do you do if you were out on a call & you see your co-worker or superviser take a candy bar from the store? You ask him about it and he says the store owner owed him one anyhow. What do you do?" Sorry but integrity is important in the profession, they have 4 hours in the police academy curiculum solely devoted to ethics and there is also an ethics scenario test that recruits have to pass. I don't think you get the scope of why integrity is important and how it's important in the law enforcement business. I think other people should have integrity too. People will lie. The more they get away with, the more they will lie. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I don't like to lie to people and I don't like to be lied to. Do you like it when people lie to you?

Also that wasn't some single silver dime I saw. Don't exagerize the facts. It a full $20 face value roll that I swore I saw and she claimed she had no more and suddenly blocked the view with the cabinet door. She simply could have been honest and said "I'm saving it for myself" and I would understand and backed off. It just seemed gutless to lie about something like that.

It's you who does not understand, you are not her employer, you could not possibly know what is expected of a teller by his/her employer including what answer is given for certain requests above and beyond normal banking procedure. You preach integrity after your initial post, seriously? You are "Joe-blow" as far as tellers or anybody else in any other form of work is concerned, law enforcement or not, you pull your pants on the same as everybody else.

What you did prove to me however, in my humble opinion, is that "Fifedom" is alive and well. :coffee2:

No, sorry but lying to me is poor customer service. I've stated numerous times, if she didn't lie about it, I would let it go. I threw this topic out to see what people thought. Obviously, it's polarized. I talked about giving up what's reasonable. If there's only one silver dime, I don't care if the teller keeps it. I've had a cool teller even offer me 2 silver dimes that he got before and I said you found it, you keep it. That's fine that they think I'm "Joe-blow", doesn't mean they have to stoop to lying. To me, lying is poor customer service, worth getting talked to by management. If I was a manager there, I would be upset if my employee did that. If they want the roll, hide it or say "no". I don't think any manager would like it if they found out the employee lied to a customer. This should be brought to their attention. Yeah I pull my pants on the same but there is a grey scale where people are in terms of integrity. You throw in these random blanketed statements. Have I ever told a lie in my life? Yes I have. Everyone has lied at some point in their lives. However, have I ever lied at work? My answer is No. Sorry, I don't know you personally but maybe we come from different backgrounds. Some people grow up in environments where it's acceptable to lie your way through life. Those people and I would have different opinions on this issue.

Indeed we did grow up differently, in my world we were taught that getting ahead in anything we do in life was not done by threat to others, in any form. I hope you find your silver dime without anybody losing their families security.

Enjoy your day, baking Snicker-doodles with my little guy this afternoon and that's more important to me than debating "integrity"...or the lack there of. :thumbsup:
 
If you see a bag of $500 face value in 90%ers, and the teller denies you when you ask for $10 worth. Is that too unreasonable? Would that not be a legitimate complaint on the side of the customer? Am I really getting ahead in life based on asking for some of it? I mentioned about being reasonable. I myself am not going to complain over one little dime or even a couple. However I don't have a problem if someone wants to fight over it by talking to the manager because in my eyes, they have a right fight over the dime just as much as the teller does. It's the greed of the customer vs. the greed of the teller. Let the manager decide that. People will have different opinions on this. Both parties will have their own say on what they can keep. I personally think it should be a compromise. However if they lied to me to get the silver, I would definitely want to talk to the manager. I didn't mean to make it sound like a blackmailing issue. But if you got poor service at a department store and you mention about writing to the manager, wouldn't they turn their poor service around? To me, it's about the reasonableness of the complaint.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.
 
Blacksheep said:
Indeed we did grow up differently, in my world we were taught that getting ahead in anything we do in life was not done by threat to others, in any form. I hope you find your silver dime without anybody losing their families security.

Enjoy your day, baking Snicker-doodles with my little guy this afternoon and that's more important to me than debating "integrity"...or the lack there of. :thumbsup:

If the security of the tellers job is compromised, that is their fault for refusing to follow bank regulations, not a customers fault for asking for a coin. I'm pretty sure I got a teller fired before, and I didn't feel bad about it at all. Her fault for not following the rules of her job.

Enjoy your time with your kid... and send me some of those snicker-doodles please. :P
 
I miswrote on the first post: you have to threaten them to get your coins.. I meant to write: threatening them to get your coins. I was putting it up for discussion not advice. I was bringing up the idea not telling everyone that you need to do this.

Also if you caught someone working for you who with poor customer service skills, is there anything wrong with saying, I'm going to write you up if you don't improve your customer service skills? Customer service is key to maintaining profitability for most companies or else people will go to the competition. Is that blackmail?
 
mts said:
I guarantee that if you were in the exact same situation you wouldn't turn over "your" silver to some guy who came in and made a stink about it.
I would if it was policy. I'm not gonna risk my job for a few bucks.
 
mts said:
2) How do you know she lied? That roll was potentially already spoken for. If so, then it is not available to you. That means that she "doesn't have any more". No lie. End of story. Who cares whether or not she is trustworthy? She's not YOUR employee. So don't trust her and move on.

Sour grapes will get you nowhere. Tellers owe you nothing. Banks owe you nothing other than what is agreed upon in the contract that you sign when you give them money. It would be a wonderful world indeed if all tellers gleefully culled silver for us. But don't get your hopes up. I guarantee that if you were in the exact same situation you wouldn't turn over "your" silver to some guy who came in and made a stink about it.

I first saw three rolls. Read my post about my best bank find. I got one, examined it and noticed silver and the roll said 65-69. I then requested the rest. She only gave me one more and said, there is no more and blocked my view with the cabinet door. I mentioned before, if she was honest about it and said "I'm keeping the last one for me or some other customer", I would be fine with it. I don't like the deception period. When I first saw the brown rolls, I mentioned "are those large dollar coins?" because I thought they were IKES. She was trying not to grab them and showed me small dollar rolls instead that were in black color paper. It just seemed like, she didn't want to hand them out. If she doesn't want to give them out, then say so. Don't lie about it. Even if I requested all of them and she could've said I'm keeping it for me, I would be fine with it. It's the concept of lying. I guess to many people, lying and dishonesty just doesn't matter in their lives. I don't care how small the lie, I don't like it. We obviously live in different worlds.

Plus, if I was the teller and I had rolls that I wanted. I would first make sure that it was ok with my manager that I buy them. If someone saw them and asked, I just would've said that I'm buying them or they're spoken for. If they didn't like it, they could talk to the manager. If the manager said that I would have to give it to the customer, then fine. Next time, I wouldn't put them in plain view. I've been to banks where they had a whole envelope of red seal notes. I asked about it and the teller said they were spoken for. I was fine with it since she was honest about it. Honesty and straight fowardness is all I ask. Is that too much to ask for in customer service?
 
SFBayArea said:
Honesty and straight fowardness is all I ask. Is that too much to ask for in customer service?
No, and I commend you for sticking to your guns.
 
jim4silver said:
Ltrain said:
I've escalated issues over a single 90% silver half. If you have them in your tray, and I ask for it, and bank policy is that tellers MUST surrender all reasonably requested change, and you refuse, yes, I will get you in trouble because you deserve it.

Personally, I think that people who make a big scene over a silver coin in the till or two are not picking their battles wisely. Some tellers are not allowed to buy such coins until the end of their shift and must leave them in the till until that time. Yes, you might win and get that silver dime but is it worth it in the long run? I wonder if after such a scene takes place the bank management rethinks and looks into their policies regarding CRHing in general, especially if the person causing the fuss is one who buys boxes or dumps there?

The key here is some banks allow their tellers to keep such coins. So no way to know for sure what the bank "policy" is. I say that raising hell over a single coin or two is about equivalent (or even worse) to CRHing in general than buying a box of halves, checking them in the parking lot, then bringing them right back into the bank to cash in (which is a clear violation of the CRHing commandments).

I think anything that draws negative attention to CRHing or CRHers in general is bad and should be avoided. There is a Japanese proverb that goes something like "the nail that sticks up gets hammered", or something like that. Somewhat relevant to CRHing because anything that draws bad attention at a bank while seeking coins is going to have a negative impact on the hobby in general over time and over the course of several such instances.

It doesn't really matter to me what people do since I only get one or two boxes of halves per month anymore and would not care if every bank started charging fees for dumps and boxes. So go ahead and "slash and burn" all you want, you will just bring the end of CRHing as we know it sooner than later. I wonder how many of the folks here who would cause a scene over a silver coin or two are the sames ones crying that high volume box hunters are causing the banks to put the screws to CRHing. I haven't kept track but it would be interesting to see.

ps there are always exceptions to the rule as they say. Such as if a teller brings out rolls of coins from the vault and decides to keep a couple of them because they have silver and gives you the rest. But I say that is different than coins already in the teller's till when you get there. All just my opinion.

Jim

Agree 100%
 
I generally don't have a problem with people who have more money to order boxes. That's their perogative and there's nothing I can do about it.
 
SFBayArea said:
If you see a bag of $500 face value in 90%ers, and the teller denies you when you ask for $10 worth. Is that too unreasonable?

Bad example. You SEE, AND ARE SURE OF SEEING $500 in 90%ers and they offer you $10. You said you THOUGHT, I'll say again, THOUGHT you saw 3 rolls when she offered you two.

Big difference.

So what if you go into the bank next time and you find out that teller was fired out of your complaints because she didn't give you $5 in silver and now her family is starving. Seriously SFBay, you need to learn some manners, and this is coming from a 15 year old.
 
If she didn't disregard bank policy, she wouldn't get fired.

I'll say it again.

If she didn't intentionally disregard the rules of her job, she wouldn't get fired.
 
I'm really disappointed with the people on this board. Obviously you're only reading what you want to read and not looking at the facts. Some people just don't care about others lying to them.

@MTS - You're ign0rant and did not read or cannot read period. Go back and read my comments. I said of course I have lied before but I have never lied at work. Yeah, I've lied to my parents as a kid. Don't misconstrue other people's comments. GO Back and read it.
Second, you're calling me selfish.. Go back, READ, and find my comment about another teller offering me 2 silver dimes and I told him to keep it for himself. I'm not selfish period. I've also done volunteer work for the city in which I live. None of your statements are backed up by any facts. You throw in blanketed statements not based on anything. Your comments show that you cannot be the fair judge of other people. I don't know what your background is but judging from your comments, I'm glad a person like you isn't running our country.
 
Rakattack said:
SFBayArea said:
If you see a bag of $500 face value in 90%ers, and the teller denies you when you ask for $10 worth. Is that too unreasonable?

Bad example. You SEE, AND ARE SURE OF SEEING $500 in 90%ers and they offer you $10. You said you THOUGHT, I'll say again, THOUGHT you saw 3 rolls when she offered you two.

Big difference.

So what if you go into the bank next time and you find out that teller was fired out of your complaints because she didn't give you $5 in silver and now her family is starving. Seriously SFBay, you need to learn some manners, and this is coming from a 15 year old.

Ratattack

The example I mentioned is completely different what made me think of this topic. The example is if you saw and knew they had $500 face in 90%er and you're asking the teller if you can get $10 face of it. That is not greedy and unreasonable.

The actual incident was when I saw 3 rolls. I thought they were IKES. I had no clue what was in them. I asked for one. I looked at it and only saw the end coin. The roll said 65-69. I said I will take all of them. At no point, did they object to me taking them. I was given another roll and when I looked up the girl had the cabinet door blocking the cabinet. She said there was no more. She didn't seem to want to give me any of them in the first place. I said in the beginning I wanted to look at the large brown rolls, she shows me small black wrapper dollar coins which she had a ton of. There's no reason why she needed to have the view blocked all of a sudden. The difference between the two is that I did not know what was in all of the rolls until I got to the car whereas the example I posed did. I do not like to be lied to period. If she objected early on and said she wanted the rolls for herself. I would've been fine with it. These are completely different scenarios meant to talk about my reasons for complaining.

You're also doing the same thing as MTS, you're exaggerating it and making up things that didn't occur. This wasn't over $5 and the girl was like in her early twenties. How would you know whether she has a family to support. Maybe she lives at home with her folks. You don't know all the details but are making assumptions. Don't be quick to judge until you get your facts straight. Like I said, I've been offered a couple of silver dimes by a teller before and I told him to keep them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom