What's new

Ultimate weapon against greedy bad tellers

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
2,260
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I was curious too, has anyone used the ultimate weapon against a teller for not giving you Ag coins that you see in their tray. The ultimate weapon would be to threaten to write up a complaint about poor customer service to corporate headquarters. I think that would have them scared. It's scary because it could bypass their supervisor who could be their friend who might stick up for them. It sounds really mean and I have never done that. But I guess if they had $500 face value in 90%ers, I would consider it if they wouldn't give me any. No one wants a written formal complaint from a customer on their record. Employment write ups are bad especially if they want to one day be promoted and because they're written and are sort of permanent unless someone in HR pulls them. I've however done the opposite for people who've ordered me boxes. I've given them positive written forms and forwarded them to their managers. Just wondering if people considered using this. Threating them with it to get your coins.
 
Upvote 0
SFBayArea said:
I was curious too, has anyone used the ultimate weapon against a teller for not giving you Ag coins that you see in their tray. The ultimate weapon would be to threaten to write up a complaint about poor customer service to corporate headquarters. I think that would have them scared. It's scary because it could bypass their supervisor who could be their friend who might stick up for them. It sounds really mean and I have never done that. But I guess if they had $500 face value in 90%ers, I would consider it if they wouldn't give me any. No one wants a written formal complaint from a customer on their record. Employment write ups are bad especially if they want to one day be promoted and because they're written and are sort of permanent unless someone in HR pulls them. I've however done the opposite for people who've ordered me boxes. I've given them positive written forms and forwarded them to their managers. Just wondering if people considered using this. You have to threaten them with it to get your coins.

Really, blackmail? You would seriously consider jeopardizing someones livelihood over a few pieces of silver? How many tellers do
you think would be willing to go the extra step to help CRH after word of that tactic got out?

Wow, just...WOW. :coffee2:
 
I've escalated issues over a single 90% silver half. If you have them in your tray, and I ask for it, and bank policy is that tellers MUST surrender all reasonably requested change, and you refuse, yes, I will get you in trouble because you deserve it.

Why should a teller risk their job over a $10 hunk of silver? Give it to the customer, build loyalty and satisfaction.

This is coming from someone who is a retail store manager, here... it's all about the customer, and if one of my employees refused a perfectly reasonable request of a customer for their own profit, I'd probably fire them on the spot.
 
Blacksheep said:
SFBayArea said:
I was curious too, has anyone used the ultimate weapon against a teller for not giving you Ag coins that you see in their tray. The ultimate weapon would be to threaten to write up a complaint about poor customer service to corporate headquarters. I think that would have them scared. It's scary because it could bypass their supervisor who could be their friend who might stick up for them. It sounds really mean and I have never done that. But I guess if they had $500 face value in 90%ers, I would consider it if they wouldn't give me any. No one wants a written formal complaint from a customer on their record. Employment write ups are bad especially if they want to one day be promoted and because they're written and are sort of permanent unless someone in HR pulls them. I've however done the opposite for people who've ordered me boxes. I've given them positive written forms and forwarded them to their managers. Just wondering if people considered using this. You have to threaten them with it to get your coins.

Really, blackmail? You would seriously consider jeopardizing someones livelihood over a few pieces of silver? How many tellers do
you think would be willing to go the extra step to help CRH after word of that tactic got out?

Wow, just...WOW. :coffee2:

Not saying I've done it.. I'm just bringing this up for consideration. It is mean to get people written up but however there is a certain customer service element to going to a bank. If a bank has poor customer service, people will put their money elsewhere and that's bad for the bank too. I've dumped and had some merchant teller not want to give me cash for $5 in rolled pennies. C'mon give me a break. They don't want dumps that they worry over $5 in pennies. I eventually spoke to the assistant manager about it and she went to talk to the teller about it. The assistant manager thought it was too much for the merchant teller to not give me $5 cash for $5 in pennies rolled. Tellers are people too and some act like they're in charge and it's a privilage for us to bank with them but it's really the other way around. I'm going with what's fair and reasonable. If they have $500 face value in 90%ers and won't even give you $10 face worth, that's too unreasonable. Plus if the tellers don't want you to ask for their saved coins, they need to put them where customers can't see them.

I don't see any of this as blackmail because really they are tellers and they provide customer service to customers. If their service is poor or unreasonable, they can be subject to a write up. I don't see where that is wrong. I'm not advocating them getting fired but chances are if they have bad customer service, they might because I probably won't be the only one that's complained. It's not like the bank is losing money over this. The bank will side with the customer because they make money off the money we have in the bank. If we move all our money out, they lose. They don't make money based on the teller being there.

I haven't gone this far before but worth considering for those who deal with bad greedy tellers. I did have one BofA that I wrote a negative review on Yelp (online customer review site) before. It was one I tried to dump halves. The teller wouldn't give me cash and told me I could only do a deposit with it. It's odd because I know that I've done it there before and still do with other branches. The teller didn't need to lie to me. I hate it when people lie. If they spoke the truth, it's more respected. It's funny that when I went on Yelp, that bank also had negative reviews from other people as well. Yeah, I definitely wrote on Yelp that I was lied to.
 
Ltrain said:
I've escalated issues over a single 90% silver half. If you have them in your tray, and I ask for it, and bank policy is that tellers MUST surrender all reasonably requested change, and you refuse, yes, I will get you in trouble because you deserve it.

Why should a teller risk their job over a $10 hunk of silver? Give it to the customer, build loyalty and satisfaction.

This is coming from someone who is a retail store manager, here... it's all about the customer, and if one of my employees refused a perfectly reasonable request of a customer for their own profit, I'd probably fire them on the spot.

WTG.. :icon_thumleft:

It's really not worth it for a teller to fight over some coins. Typically those are the tellers that have poor customer service skills and have other complaints.

It's simple, they don't want people to ask for it, don't show it to them. Hide it.
 
I have to add my two cents to this.

To a teller, a fifty cent piece should be just that, .50 cents. A dollar should be just that, a dollar. If they know about silver then fine and dandy, don't display it where everyone can see it. Keep the "Special" coins hidden from view so you can purchase them
at the end of your shift. If you leave them sitting in your tray then they become susceptible to sale to a customer. Most tellers around my parts aren't even aware of silver, some are and some aren't, but the vast majority see only .50 cents regardless if it is
silver or not. If a teller refuses a simple request from a bank that I have an account with then two things are going to happen:

1) I will write a formal complaint to the "District Manger", not the manager of the bank.
2) I will include in my letter the fact that I have $xx,xxx.00 in my account and I will be shopping for another bank that has
better customer service than what I am currently receiving here.

It has gotten results in the past and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. Now with that said, the letter had nothing to do with CRH or silver halves, it was an entirely different issue and needed to be addressed.

I could really careless if a teller is a silver bug, lots of them are, but DO NOT FLAUNT IT in front of the customers face by leaving it in your tray for all to see. Hide it in your personal vault under you desk or beside your seat and deal with it at the end of the
day when your shift is over. It is courteous and the right thing to do.

There, now I will step off my soapbox.... ;D
 
Most jobs have some perks & everyone takes advantage of them so why not a teller. There is a teller at one bank I deal with & yes she is a hog when it comes to silver coins, she will never give them up. However, there are five other tellers that know I like silver & are willing to save it for me. I dont think there is anything wrong with a teller being able to take advantage of the perks of their job.
 
Ltrain said:
I've escalated issues over a single 90% silver half. If you have them in your tray, and I ask for it, and bank policy is that tellers MUST surrender all reasonably requested change, and you refuse, yes, I will get you in trouble because you deserve it.

Personally, I think that people who make a big scene over a silver coin in the till or two are not picking their battles wisely. Some tellers are not allowed to buy such coins until the end of their shift and must leave them in the till until that time. Yes, you might win and get that silver dime but is it worth it in the long run? I wonder if after such a scene takes place the bank management rethinks and looks into their policies regarding CRHing in general, especially if the person causing the fuss is one who buys boxes or dumps there?

The key here is some banks allow their tellers to keep such coins. So no way to know for sure what the bank "policy" is. I say that raising hell over a single coin or two is about equivalent (or even worse) to CRHing in general than buying a box of halves, checking them in the parking lot, then bringing them right back into the bank to cash in (which is a clear violation of the CRHing commandments).

I think anything that draws negative attention to CRHing or CRHers in general is bad and should be avoided. There is a Japanese proverb that goes something like "the nail that sticks up gets hammered", or something like that. Somewhat relevant to CRHing because anything that draws bad attention at a bank while seeking coins is going to have a negative impact on the hobby in general over time and over the course of several such instances.

It doesn't really matter to me what people do since I only get one or two boxes of halves per month anymore and would not care if every bank started charging fees for dumps and boxes. So go ahead and "slash and burn" all you want, you will just bring the end of CRHing as we know it sooner than later. I wonder how many of the folks here who would cause a scene over a silver coin or two are the sames ones crying that high volume box hunters are causing the banks to put the screws to CRHing. I haven't kept track but it would be interesting to see.

ps there are always exceptions to the rule as they say. Such as if a teller brings out rolls of coins from the vault and decides to keep a couple of them because they have silver and gives you the rest. But I say that is different than coins already in the teller's till when you get there. All just my opinion.

Jim
 
due to theft and possible miscount issues --most banks require that tellers keep all the coins in the "proper tray area" and not divert them under or around the sizes of the tray or put aside or in their pockets -- while in the tray their in play * -- request coins this way --I'd like all the halfs --(or whatever coin type your interested in) you have in your tray , please. --since if your just say iI want $10 worth they can sort out which ones you will get --by going "I want all of them, in the tray" ---they must give you what coins are there in the drawer -- until the till is empty their not SUPPOSED to open fresh rolls --again this is to keep the count straight as per normal rules.

at the end of shift as they count up $ in their drawer --- in vs out amount tally must match their reciepts ---all the bank cares is that the final total is correct-- at that point the tellers can silver snatch for themselves --if they been lucky and careful -- and they held back passing out the silver its theirs to exchange coin for coin .

remember some tellers might be butt holes in your veiw because their "silver blockers" stopping you from gettting what YOU WANT * but hey they got a right to get silver too --if a bank has silver blockers at it --thats a "dump bank"--since you highly unlikely to yeild silver from them -- use the silver blocker banks for dumping at. -- and be nice at the other "non blocker" banks -- remember-- a bit of honey is better than vinegar for drawing flies
 
Don't step on the toes today that are connected to the butt you might have to kiss tommorow.
 
Sometimes the tactics of some coin roll hunters embarass me. A teller keeping a 1/2 in a tray for themselves. wow some of you make this out to be a capitol crime. Think about it for just a second. They found it, the same way you do....looking through rolls of coins.

Maybe we should all drink a few less 5-hour energy drinks and realize this is a game, a hobby an adventure. It is not and I repeat it is not your job. Now if you are a bank teller yes it is your job. How would you feel if some ye-haw comes into your bank and fires off a complaint letter alledging poor customer service and it cost you a promotion or worse cost you your job. How would like to explain that to your son or daughter that Santa isn't coming this year because you got fired from your job over a false accusation.

You say this can't happen. I say it can and has...maybe even to the person writing this.

Think before you do something that has life changing results to others.
 
Piercesdad said:
Sometimes the tactics of some coin roll hunters embarass me. A teller keeping a 1/2 in a tray for themselves. wow some of you make this out to be a capitol crime. Think about it for just a second. They found it, the same way you do....looking through rolls of coins.

Maybe we should all drink a few less 5-hour energy drinks and realize this is a game, a hobby an adventure. It is not and I repeat it is not your job. Now if you are a bank teller yes it is your job. How would you feel if some ye-haw comes into your bank and fires off a complaint letter alledging poor customer service and it cost you a promotion or worse cost you your job. How would like to explain that to your son or daughter that Santa isn't coming this year because you got fired from your job over a false accusation.

You say this can't happen. I say it can and has...maybe even to the person writing this.

Think before you do something that has life changing results to others.

I agree with you 100%. Nuff said
 
Ugh! When did something someone else has become yours? When did someone else having something you want become a punishable offense? Banks are private businesses and do not have to give you silver coins just because you see it in their tray. Instead of thinking of ways to punish someone why not ask them something like "well what kind of lunch can i bring you to change your mind?" Gah this country is just going to hell in a handbag rapidly.

Just ask the government to seize all her assets for not sharing her wealth accordingly to how you feel it should be shared. Go right past her boss and supervisor and president of the bank. Take it to the top! <sigh>
 
Banks have different policies about tellers "buying" coins for themselves, when my wife worked at a bank as a teller she had to have permission from the manager to "buy" a coin for herself, fortunately she worked at a small bank that was more of a "family" atmosphere than many so she did not have a problem. I have spotted silver halves in tellers trays before and have "never" been refused when I ask for it. I even asked one day if they had any halves and the teller responded just a few are you looking for silver ones? I said yes and she fished out of the tray the only silver half she had, a 40 percent Kennedy and gave it to me for my two quarters. I find now so many of the tellers are younger and many of them do not even "know" about silver coinage. I do penny rolls and when asked by a teller what I was looking for I told her wheat pennies and the occasional Indian Head, she had no clue what I was talking about! The next time I came down I brought in a Large Cent, Indian Head a Wheatie to show her the evolution of the penny, and when I said I dug up a Two Cent piece I might as well have been talking about "Martian" money! :laughing9:
 
Of course, I'm not going to do to this my normal branches where I order and dump. I only considered this when I visited a small branch where I don't visit often because I was doing a temp job nearby. The effect of what I do is negligible to me since I will hardly see them again. However, I am a considerate person and won't consider that strategy unless the teller is downright rude or is lying to me. I don't like to be lied to period. If they're going to lie to me, I want to figure out the truth. It is in my opinion that if they're going to lie to me, they're going to lie to another customer. This is just poor customer service period. If you have a coin you want and you tell me you're saving it for yourself period, tell me that and I'm fine with it. I just thought of this idea when some girl was trying to lie to me about it. I got 2 rolls of Ag coins and I swore I saw a 3rd roll. She said that there was no more and blocked the view with a cabinet door. I'd rather hear the truth. If I look like crap today, tell me. Don't say you look great. I don't think most like being friends who lie a lot. Trust is important to me.

There are tellers who are rude, inconsiderate, and consider banking is a privelidge. Those are ones that need a talking to. Customer service matters to the bank more than the importance of one teller. Like I said, the bank makes money off your money not from one teller. If you talk to any high level person, they will tell you the same thing. The only reason why some banks let tellers buy the keepers is that one manager is friends with the teller but if you go above their heads, chances are the bank will not side with the teller. The majority of tellers in my opinion are good but like with any job, there are bad apples. Would you want them to continue to be bad apples or would you be tough enough to do something about it? Speaking up about it would not only change their behavior for their own good but for the sake of other customers too.

I also think that if the majority of tellers knew what the actual value of Ag coins were, they would keep them for themselves too.
 
"Speaking up about it would not only change their behavior for their own good but for the sake of other customers too. "

Well as you said you were out of town so this bank isnt making jack crap off of you and your money so the "they owe you" doesnt apply in this case. Now you being teller attitude police however is certain to put most everyone elses minds at ease since you are gonna take care of them "bad apples" for us.

Again its not law that they give you what you want or tell you what you want to hear. Chances are its not policy either. Play your cards right, learn from your own mistakes and get better at getting what you want legitimately. Dont try to change the rules and make people pay for you striking out. You said it yourself that you screwed up by saying "these look old" in front of the teller. That cost ya right there. Not her fault so dont blame her. Figure out how to do it better.
 
JD-GA said:
Again its not law that they give you what you want or tell you what you want to hear. Chances are its not policy either. Play your cards right, learn from your own mistakes and get better at getting what you want legitimately. Dont try to change the rules and make people pay for you striking out. You said it yourself that you screwed up by saying "these look old" in front of the teller. That cost ya right there. Not her fault so dont blame her. Figure out how to do it better.

"Legitimately" - So are you making up the rules of what people can and can't do? It's illegal to go about it this way? Are people not allowed to complain? People have the right to complain about anything, it is up to the bank mangement to decide whether the complaint is reasonable or not. I have complained before about a teller before who won't let me exchange $5 in rolled zincolns for cash. The assistant manager said I was reasonable with my request and went to talk to the teller. You're making it sound like the teller has more rights than the customer and the customer should just take it or leave it. That's not right. Like I said, I despise people that lie. There's absolutely no need for it. It's better to tell people the truth so people can improve themselves. That's what I'd want for people to do to me. I also worked in the law enforcement profession before and still work with some law enforcement professionals at my part time job. Nothing is more important than your honesty. If you lie on a report, lie in court, you're done. People are also free to complain about cops if they want but again some are not reasonable or legitimate. It's up to the supervisory personnel to decide. Like I said, I've never complained about someone not giving me silver before but it was more of the teller lying to me that made me think of this.

Yeah, I did make a mistake in mentioning how the wrapper looked old and I did learn from it.

PS. - yeah this branch of BofA was out of the way but I have most of my cash with them (BofA). They now charge $14.00 per month for a standard checking account if you're balance is not above $1500. I didn't find out until I looked at my statement last month. This was apparently a new policy that I didn't know about until I saw the bill. With that said, I expect the same level of service every branch I visit. No branch should act differently towards me just because I'm not from the area. Forcing people to have $1500 in a checking account is a decent amount. I'm sure they've gained from my money being there.
 
As I said, I never escalate if I am not 100% positive on the policy. I have stepped out and called that banks customer service department before for clarification (16 40%'ers) before going back in and confronting them. Most of the time, just asking to speak with their branch manager gets them to give up the silver.

I'm cutthroat. You're either following policy, or you're not... and if you're gonna screw me over and ignore your company's policy, I will escalate it every single time.

You can call me disrespectful, you can call me an asshole... I'm just playing the game... hate the game, not the player.

FWIW, tellers that treat me well get treated well... but if you're gonna fuck me, I'll fuck you right back.
 
I live in a small town.

About a month ago, at our primary bank, I got a 1922 Peace dollar in with a bunch of Ikes that I bought.

There was a pretty awkward moment when the teller manager found out that I had just bought an old coin a few moments earlier.

While I absolutely love owning the coin, if I had it to do over again, I would have offered it back to her.

A similar situation happened at another bank with some red seal $2's that I got. One of the guy tellers expressed a strong interest in them. After learning a lesson with the Peace dollar, I told the guy "keep them for yourself if you want." Since this was seen by him as me NOT being greedy, he told me the last time I was at the bank, he was looking out for more red seals and old coins for me...and I believe him.

To me, getting that Peace dollar was a thrill of a lifetime, but I would never jeopardize my good name or reputation for a silly coin worth $18.

I might feel differently in a different situation, or if I lived in a major city, but in this small town, it really isn't worth it.
 
"Legitimately" - So are you making up the rules of what people can and can't do?"

No is the simple answer. I havent tried to get you in trouble or fired haha. We all have our opinions and for now are still free to share them. Im not trying to effect someones job or livelyhood because I have a differing opinion. Like i said before she is breaking no law, and if its BoA i can nearly guarantee she is also breaking no policy since the 32 boa branches in my area all have tellers who keep silver for themselves. Again I dont like your approach and have only voiced my opinion that I disagree with it. You were talking about getting someone in trouble with their employer for having a different opinion from yours. This isnt apples and oranges SFbay, this is night and day to compare the 2.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom