✅ SOLVED UMC rimfire .32 cal short or extra-short...?

Ronson

Jul 17, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg Howdy folks! I'm gonna spend way too much time here, reading over all the cool stuff y'all have found...

So, I'm pretty new at this, not counting a few beach searches up and down South Padre Island... and I decided to stick closer to home and detect up at the old family farm. Found this one my first day, while sussing out the locale of the original farm house of the previous owner, from way back when.

I've figured out that this is (I think) a UMC copper casing for a .32 cal rimfire, circa 1885-1920... the casing is deformed so it's hard to get an accurate width, but my digital caliper is giving me approx 0.34", so I'm thinking it's a .32 maybe... but the length is weird and appears way shorter than all the pics I'm finding online for the .32 short rimfires... the caliper is giving me a 0.55" on the length... is that in the ballpark of a short round, or is this one of those extra-short rounds that was produced by UMC for those weird parlor/palm protector pistols?

Tell the truth, I'm having a hard time imagining a Texas farmer in the late 19th century owning one of those things, neat as they are to me.

Anyways... can anyone help me out?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ronson

Ronson

Jul 17, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect, that's what I needed to know (but could not find online)... thanks Doug!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread