All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0666 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0666 - Copy.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0665 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0665 - Copy.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 202
it's not cut all the way through... Its not glued in.... It came from the mint this way.

it's not cut all the way through... Its not glued in.... It came from the mint this way.

Maybe not glued in but it is pressed in! This was not done at the Mint unless they had a special program/event for inserting a Lincoln Cent in a Copper Ring to sell or give to folks but I do not know of any. The metal in the coin's planchet are different from the ring as is evidenced by the different coloration (i.e. toning/patina). While the coin's planchet comprises a content of .950 Copper and .050 Tin and Zinc, I believe that the ring that the coin sits in, was produced with more pure Copper. Sorry, but this was done Post Mint and is not an Error of any kind!

Frank

I agree that it is some kind of post striking alteration, a planchet that size would not have fit in the cent press so was not struck this way.

I agree that it is some kind of post striking alteration, a planchet that size would not have fit in the cent press so was not struck this way.

Thanks for noting this as I forgot to mention that in my previous post! The planchet would not fit into the Collar and probably the Striking Chamber as well.

Frank

Sweet trickery.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back