Unbelievable 3 Hours of digging today! My first Spanish Silver! Another Slave Tag! +

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting this before I have cleaned my finds fully because I have grad school tonight. Went back to ol faithful this morning with VMI. We first tasted my 1795 Half Dime and it is looking like it is a contemporary counterfeit! Which looks like it might be more rare than the actual real coin. More to follow when i have more info. My first target this morning came in at 38-39 but really faint and only on one axis. But the way this site has been going i knew to dig it. To my utter disbelief out pops my first Spanish Reale! 1774 2Reale mint Mexico City! Could not believe it! VMI was dumbfounded since we have swung this 10 x 10yd area 3948393 times now. Looks to be in pretty good shape but again I have yet to clean it properly. So its officially official...Im in the 1700's club!

IMG_4161.jpg IMG_4162.jpg IMG_4163.jpg IMG_4164.jpg IMG_4168.jpg IMG_4169.jpg IMG_4171.jpg

Next good signal came in like a button and sure enough it was a button! It is a two piece Navy button. The back is missing unfortunately but to me it looks Confederate. It doesn't say CS at the button like some of the Rebel Navy buttons I've seen however. If y'all know for sure let me know. Since we have dug quite a bit of CW relics and buttons it is very possible that it is Confed. Measuring around 22.5 mm.

IMG_4172.jpg

With these two finds in a case in my pocket I was flying pretty high! VMI already was ready to hit me with this shovel most likely. So I started to head for my car swinging as I went...popped out a tiny flat button in a trashy area so i slowed down. Very next signal came in like a can. But since this site is what it is i dug it and literally 2-3 inches down pops out a piece of copper. I could barely see what look liked an 8! I started to brush it and saw 1829 and I knew...SLAVE TAG! I yelled over to VMI and said "Hey don't hate me" and he replied "DID YOU DIG ANOTHER REALE (insert expletive)!!!!" and I just kinda grinned. Ive found the top part of a later slave tag where you could read "charleston" but this one has the year and you can see faintly the dots surrounding the "Servant", "Mechanic" or whatever the job title was for the slave. Cant see yet what the job was but these dots were only used by a particular blacksmith who made the tags for the city and it is the same blacksmith that made VMI's slave tag. It is partial but its a almost all there. Pretty over the moon! Again I will try to post more pictures when i have everything cleaned up better. Thanks for reading, sorry for the long story but this was just a banner day for me. Good luck out there!

IMG_4166.jpg IMG_4165.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 54
OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Huge congratulations man. That's one killer hunt. That 2 reales looks like its in great shape. If you decide to try and remove the black scale and have trouble, shoot me a message. I've dug some like that where traditional methods did nothing to that scale. I cant wait to see more pictures of your slave tag. When you're back there with VMI, if you see him digging a huge hole, you might want to run :laughing7:

So your half dime tested 50% silver? That makes it even more interesting man. I can't wait to hear more about that one too. :occasion14:

Yeah i'll have to keep an eye out on VMI now when we are sifting..next think you know he's burying me in a privy! lol Yeah I'm not sure how i want to go about cleaning the Reale...im taking any suggestions..especially from you. I'm hoping that i'll be able to get some more detail out of the slave tag but i wanna take my time on it for sure. But yeah half dime was coming in at around 50%. Granted it was just a streak test but still we would have known if it was 89% silver like it should have been. Not sure what I'm going to do about that...most likely is going to take more research into counterfeits then reaching out to some experts. Thanks for the comments tho i really appreciate all the congrats I've been getting from you and everyone.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A banner day indeed! The real would have been enough to send me home happy, but you went way over the top with those finds! Big congrats!

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congrats, you have been hard at it so a well deserved killer hunt.

Thank you! Yeah dug my fair share of iron and trash at this site. It's definitely paying off now!

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A banner day indeed! The real would have been enough to send me home happy, but you went way over the top with those finds! Big congrats!

Hey Tommy, thanks man! Yeah it was my first decent signal about 10 minutes in. A Reale was on my bucket list so I guess I better get more specific now.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 2 reale makes for a great hunt but the slave tag puts it over the top....congratulations!

Regards + HH

Bill

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, beautiful coin and great finds!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You're on quite a roll there Stef. It's great to see you break into the 1700s, and that was a awesome way to do it. And I can't imagine what it would feel like to dig a slave tag, or even part of one. Hope your partner can join in on the fun soon (sorry Jon - your time is coming).

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stef what an incredible hunt! That 2 Reales will clean up beautifully with lemon juice and a soft toothbrush. That's exactly what mine look like out of the ground. If you would like to see a couple of before and afters let me know bud. To dig those other killer finds on such a short hunt is remarkable! A slave tag is one of those holy grails. It's funny my first 2 Spanish silvers were 2 Reales and I have only found 1's and 1/2s since....but never a complaint when I see one in the dirt. Congrats brother

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're on quite a roll there Stef. It's great to see you break into the 1700s, and that was a awesome way to do it. And I can't imagine what it would feel like to dig a slave tag, or even part of one. Hope your partner can join in on the fun soon (sorry Jon - your time is coming).

I'll manage Bill :laughing7: happy to have brought Stef into the hobby, heck even sold him my old trusty Safari. While it's always nice to have the find of the day in your own pouch, I've always enjoyed sharing the hunt. Again big congrats on your first Spanish

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy *$@# what a group of BANNER finds- Big-time Congrats to you!!

-- Jeff --

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome job Stef! At least Jon didn't accuse you of cherry picking the good targets (I just had to go there Jon..LOL!). He didn't use any expletives with me though. LOL

Well done!!!:icon_thumleft:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha Stef! Jon told me he was going tomorrow and I had a feeling something good was coming out of that ground. Too bad it was to you! Lol.

That's a beauty 2 real. I've yet to find that denomination myself but I bet it feels awesome in the hand. The slave tag is a nice dig as well. You rocked it brother!

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 reale makes for a great hunt but the slave tag puts it over the top....congratulations!

Regards + HH

Bill

Lol Listen Bill don't feel too bad for Jon he does have a fully intact slave tag! But yeah He's due now. Thanks a lot it was a pretty exciting morning.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Regards + HH

Bill

Stef what an incredible hunt! That 2 Reales will clean up beautifully with lemon juice and a soft toothbrush. That's exactly what mine look like out of the ground. If you would like to see a couple of before and afters let me know bud. To dig those other killer finds on such a short hunt is remarkable! A slave tag is one of those holy grails. It's funny my first 2 Spanish silvers were 2 Reales and I have only found 1's and 1/2s since....but never a complaint when I see one in the dirt. Congrats brother

Thanks a ton Ahab! When I first started just over a year ago Spanish silver was up at the top so i'm glad i can knock one out this early in my detecting career. Id love to see some before and afters of your coins if you got them avail. Give me an idea of what to expect. Thanks again and good luck!

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Regards + HH

Bill

Holy *$@# what a group of BANNER finds- Big-time Congrats to you!!

-- Jeff --

Thanks Jeff! Yeah it was a banner morning for sure...I was pretty jacked up still while i was in class tonight just wanted to get back home and stare at the finds a little more haha.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job Stef! At least Jon didn't accuse you of cherry picking the good targets (I just had to go there Jon..LOL!). He didn't use any expletives with me though. LOL

Well done!!!:icon_thumleft:

HAHA yeah its just crazy how we have been over the same soil so many times now and things as big as a 2 Reale pop out of the hole! And to think when we first started digging here we learned that a guy had detected it before...well he either had terrible equipment or just didn't put in as much time as us. Goes to show that some sites can still produce even if they are "picked over" Thanks! and hope you have some good finds in your near future

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread