UNBELIEVABLE personal best!! She is a true colonial beauty!

Bigmike2334

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope this gives some people the same feeling I had when I pulled it out from 9inches down in the bottom of a small plug this morning by the old meeting house. Before this find I also found a 1903 IH and 3 wheats. Not sure about banner but I know my personal banner just got hung haha. Enjoy!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 29

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one for sure. Mine is nowhere near that sharp but am still very happy with it to this day and I dug it about 14 years ago.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finding a complete one- 1722 is definitely an old coin. Here's some interesting history on your coin

Wood was authorized to make 120 halfpence to the pound (compared to forty-six halfpence to the pound at the Tower of London mint) which, according to Mossman, would yield a 140% profit after adjusting for production costs. Unfortunately, Wood had been required to pay the Duchess of Kendal £10,000 for his Irish indenture (apparently no additional charge was incurred for the American colonial indenture) so he was forced to mint his coins at an even lower weight in order to return a profit! These lightweight coins were not accepted by the colonists. Wood's penny was similar to a London halfpenny and his halfpenny was like the farthing, while his twopence did not correspond in weight to any currently circulating coin. In New York, merchants refused to accept the coins, while the General Assembly of Massachusetts in June of 1722 authorized the printing of £500 in one penny, two pence and three pence paper bills, rather than accept the Rosa Americana coins! Nevertheless, some colonies did accept them, although only reluctantly and only in limited quantities.

Great find :thumbsup:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that coin! Definitely a collection centrepiece.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one awesome copper, especially for a nearly 300 year old coin- Congrats!!!

-- Jeff --

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice. Love seeing the scarce ones pop up!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a coin that is rarely posted here, and its in exceptional condition. Way to go!

OP
OP
B

Bigmike2334

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys so much it truly makes me feel incredible to be only two years into this hobby and being able to recover such beautiful pieces of history and bring them to light for myself and all my fellow MD buffs out there. Still cannot believe I pulled her out. I just finished up my second morning there and will be posting pics in a thread very soon, one more day should be enough to complete this property completely. Then I will wait for some much needed rain and hopefully it will help pop out any last deep whispers. Thanks again friends have a great day and good luck out there! :occasion14:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice copper...old for sure.

I'm now adding this coin to my wish list...

NJ

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful condition! Congratualtions on the awesome old coin! :notworthy:

A few years back, I found this type (Rosa Americana - colonists did not except this coin), but it was total toast.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome coin. Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread