What's new

Under Attack! It is a "Neoscona Orb Weaver" spider!

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,352
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
Under Attack! It is a "Neoscona Orb Weaver" spider!

I just now witnessed this spider attacking a katydid in his/her web on my front porch! What kind of spider is it?
 

Attachments

  • underattack.webp
    underattack.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 797
Re: Under Attack! It is a "Neoscona Orb Weaver" spider!

The best thing about spiders is that squishy noise they make when they encounter a size 9 ! :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Under Attack! It is a "Neoscona Orb Weaver" spider!

tastes great, less filling. LOL
 
Upvote 0
Re: Under Attack! It is a "Neoscona Orb Weaver" spider!

I saw the green check mark, but couldn't resist sharing this ...

~ The World's Largest Spider ~

"The Goliath Birdeater"

( Up to 12-inches across with 1-inch fangs )

[ Link to video showing some nut letting one crawl on his chest ]

Link: http://www.squidoo.com/world-biggest-spider

{ Not for the faint at heart ~ May cause nightmares }

:sleepy2:

SBB
 
Upvote 0
Re: Under Attack! It is a "Neoscona Orb Weaver" spider!

Heck ... that little rascal aint nothing! Check out this dude ...
 

Attachments

  • Tarantula 1950s Movie Scene.webp
    Tarantula 1950s Movie Scene.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 0
Re: Under Attack! It is a "Neoscona Orb Weaver" spider!

You think that is big, you should have seen the radiated mutant katydid.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Under Attack! It is a "Neoscona Orb Weaver" spider!

That's what we call just a plain old woods spider. I don't know what the correct name for them is but I see dozens of them in the early fall when I go deer hunting. You are always running into their webs stretched out across deer trails and have to wipe of their darn sticky old webs. I never heard of anyone getting bitten by one, but I suppose they might bite if you tried to handle them? That second one is what we always called a garden spider and yu will see them crawling around in between the plants in your garden and along the foundation blocks to a house hunting sow bugs. They build a web but it is strictly their home and looks like a funnel going down into a hole in the ground. I think the web is just for self protection. A Recluse has a "fiddle" design on their back and their common name is a "Fiddle Back" spider. They are extremely poisonous and their bite actually rots out a section of skin about quarter size or larger if not attended to. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: Under Attack! It is a "Neoscona Orb Weaver" spider!

Grundestoun said:
Not only do the wolf spiders chase you but they can jump at you. that is a holy s#@$ moment. i usually don't scream when I see spiders, I just tried to kill one and it jump at me. pretty sure the whole neighborhood heard that. :o :sad1:

I've been hearing about that. We've had flooding locally and a few of these bad boys decided our house was warm and dry. If THE ADMIRAL meets a few more of these I won't be able to hear a hit in my headphones. The first one had a quarter size body and my wife's response kicked of car alarms on the next hill over.
 

Attachments

  • HPIM2608.webp
    HPIM2608.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom