What's new

Underbrush

tx2tn

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 4, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Here in NE Tennessee, level ground that is cleared is RARE to say the least. I'm thinking of buying a small gasoline trimmer. How do y'all deal with underbrush?
 
match and gasoline,on a rainy day.
 
tx__ There are some tricks, and it might take two people...If everything is a kinda grass land, you can bring out a 4'x 8' sheet OSB or ply wood with a 2'x2' hole cut in the center. Lay your sheet to press down on the grass and meatel detect over it. When you get a hit you can place the hole that you cut over the hit spot and dig.
Hope this can be help!
Bobby.
 
Here in Alabama where I'm spending the Winter it seems like every square inch of remote woods is so infested with Kudzu you can't even see 5 feet into the woods let alone walk in. I thought coming down here where there was some Civil War action would be fun but I'm really looking forward to going home to NH. No offense to my southern friends.
 
tx2tn said:
Here in NE Tennessee, level ground that is cleared is RARE to say the least. I'm thinking of buying a small gasoline trimmer. How do y'all deal with underbrush?

I bought one a couple years ago that is more for brush than weeds. It's a straight-shaft Troy Built.
BUT.....it's almost as bad as a weedwacker in high grass.
Trying to cut through high weeds like wild blackberry or goldenrod, they are just as apt to wrap around the shaft and choke it out, forcing you to stop constantly and pull off the coiled mass.

What I did was modify a lawn mower into a brush hog. I had a cheap, lightweight mower that I cut the front out between the wheels so about an inch of the blade was exposed and cut a large discharge chute on the opposite side of the original side so there wasn't any kind of baffle to stop the discharge.

I was easily able to go through a stand of fully grown cat-tails, in about 2" of water, without it choking out. Worked better than I ever dreamed it would.
It looks like a wicked machine and can be dangerous with the exposed blade, but extreme care when using it and off you go.
Oh...and wear safety glasses too. Some stuff does fly back on occasion but not really much of a problem.
Just make sure you don't cut too much front out and lose the integrity of the support of the engine. I had front wheels bowed slightly but it didn't stop the beast from doing it's job.

Al
 
I cleared out a high weed area with my Troy-Bilt straight-line trimmer by 'hopping' it through the weeds which is the recommended method. By 'hopping' the trimmer you are moving the trimmer head in a vertical up-down pattern instead of the typical horizontal pattern which virtually eliminates 'wrap-around'.
 
NHBandit said:
Here in Alabama where I'm spending the Winter it seems like every square inch of remote woods is so infested with Kudzu you can't even see 5 feet into the woods let alone walk in. I thought coming down here where there was some Civil War action would be fun but I'm really looking forward to going home to NH. No offense to my southern friends.

It used to be my job to kill kudzu for the railroad in MS. that stuff is a nightmare. I have seen it completely engulf buildings and trees. They actually brought to the US, from Japan I believe, to stop erosion. They had no Idea it would be as big a problem as it has become. I'm glad it hasn't gotten this far north.

HH Charlie
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom