watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimsdad & I were banished to the local tot lot since neither of us had that much time to hunt. . . only about 1-1/2-hours.

After spending about 90% of of my hunting time in the woods this year, it was like shooting fish
in a barrel swinging over manicured lawn for a change. There were so many good signals every
few yards (unheard of in the woods) it got really boring to dig memorial after memorial. . . but, you
never know, it could be an Indian or a Barber brought in with the fill.

Aside from a buck or two in clad, I did find a neat M6 McLaren, a VW hood and a sterling silver ring.

DSC_7549.JPG

Thanks for looking!
watercolor

Good hunt Watercolor!

I always thought you scanned those coins, but now I can see that you have some sort of light box and macro lens or something. Care to share the secret to your great shots?

Painful looking ring! Was it lost or tossed?

Can see one like that pulling sweeties short hairs and having her tear it off and toss it....

Brett said:
Good hunt Watercolor!

I always thought you scanned those coins, but now I can see that you have some sort of light box and macro lens or something. Care to share the secret to your great shots?

Thanks Brett!

As for the photo set-up. . . I use a 100w "Day Light" (made by "n:vision" from Home Depot) inside a 12-inch reflector
mounted on a small light stand. Home Depot usually stocks three "color temperature" variations of these bulbs. . .
(soft white, bright white, and day light). The "day light" version is color balanced for "noon daylight" which produces
the most natural color.

Ltsource.JPG

My staging table is just a piece of white plexi-glass placed on top of a 18" high "roll-around" cart
that was once used for storing wire-mesh drawer trays. The open frame design cart design
allows me to place an additional light source UNDER the plexi so I can "back-light"
the subject I'm photographing if I wish (works great when photographing glass bottles).
For almost all the stuff I shoot, I only use one light source which is placed above and off to the
side of my subject.

Setup.JPG

Thanks again everyone for your comments!

You forgot to add......

A nice camera too...... :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

A change of pace ???????

Cool! Thanks for explaining your setup Watercolor. I definitely gotta get something like this set up for my camera. I usually just use my Nikon S600 point-and-shoot because it's so convenient and the macro mode is great. But I have a D300 with a zoom lens. I need to get either a macro lens for it, or a 50mm f1.4 or f1.5 lens. Have you ever tried the matte black background and elevating the objects up so the background is out of focus and completely black? That's another neat way to do it, but I like the glow of yours too :)

Lowbatts said:

Can see one like that pulling sweeties short hairs and having her tear it off and toss it....

Thanks for that interesting perspective, Tim! Owwwah!! :o ;D

Congrats on the nice ring, Mark! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It was good to take the White's out for a spin...

Brett said:
Cool! Thanks for explaining your setup Watercolor. I definitely gotta get something like this set up for my camera. I usually just use my Nikon S600 point-and-shoot because it's so convenient and the macro mode is great. But I have a D300 with a zoom lens. I need to get either a macro lens for it, or a 50mm f1.4 or f1.5 lens. Have you ever tried the matte black background and elevating the objects up so the background is out of focus and completely black? That's another neat way to do it, but I like the glow of yours too :)

The D300 is one of the best :thumbsup: I'm still using the D200. If you're seriously thinking about a
macro for your D300, I'd suggest something with a focal length around 105mm. . . anything shorter
and you'll end up being too close to your subject. . . especially if you like shooting creepy bugs :o.

On occaision, I've used matt black backgrounds for certain effects but generally, I prefer a light grey
because a lot of the stuff I shoot seems to stand out better when its printed.

Kimsdad said:
Lowbatts said:

Thanks for that interesting perspective, Tim! Owwwah!! :o ;D

Congrats on the nice ring, Mark! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It was good to take the White's out for a spin...

Thanks Neil! With a limited time window, the White's makes perfect sense for covering ground :wink:

Hey Tim, after reading your reply, I put that ring on my little finger and you're right. . . OUCH!

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Nick's diggin' the McLaren ... :thumbsup:

Continue to persevere watercolor ... :icon_king:

If I find a Can Am Shadow MKIII, I'll send ya the M6A ;D

DP BOB said:
A change of pace ???????

To lazy to change into my boots & mud-gear :P

Nice finds! Any day I dig a silver ring out of the turf is a good day.

Looks like you really DID dig manicured grass for a "change"...or just change, period, plus a couple of cars. lol.

Are we going to reunite for another excursion into the wilderness this weekend? ;D

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back