UNDERWATER DRONES

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Which underwater drones are you speaking of?
Autonomous Underwater Vehicles like these oceanographic tools or something smaller?
If you are talking about these guys...no one I know of has the budget for this kind of gear, but you can bet that it would work magnificently if you had the millions for the AUV and assorted support vessels and staff.
They still use the same imaging gear that subs and surface ships use, they just can get a lot closer to the subject when they take the 'picture', as well as being completely independent of surface conditions and some of the thermoclines that can cause a loss of detail in sonar images.
I have seen sonar images from Navy subs in the Med that show sunken galleys more than a thousand years old, sitting upright in 6000 fsw that show what appear to be oars still in place.

3-auv-0-700305.jpg

Copy-of-Thunderfish-Render-Bottom-Compressed.png

Last edited:

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might be talking about the toys that go 5 meters away from the controller and 1 meter deep. Swimming pool stuff for kids.
If you are talking about what Bill is talking about above, check out the price and you understand why private treasure hunters don't have one. If you find one for $10K please call me immediately!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having built RC models of all types for 40 years. You could build one of 'good quality', good to 33 ft depth for under a grand.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2010_0303Mttohuntdeer4th0005.JPG
Heres an example of what you can build (for a fraction of what they sell for). Ten years ago ( pre quad copter junk) .This was Israels 'top shelf' drone. I was so impressed with the flight times of it.That I decided to build one from scratch...... They spent 1/4 Million per copy.I, over the entire winter built "the exact one " for under $500.00 . Flight time ? Over 3 hrs :) 2010_0303Mttohuntdeer4th0003.JPG
Maiden launch. 2010_0401Mttohuntdeer4th0007.JPG
Maiden flight. IF I can do it Anyone can.:) Land ,air ,sea no difference .Especially w/the building materials & info available today .
And, the A.U.W. of mine (at the same size as theirs) came in at 1/2 the weight @ 6 pounds.
In conclusion .If you want a "underwater drone" ....build one....

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Land, air, sea...no difference?
I wish it were so...
Difficulty factor goes up by a factor of at least 10 and the cost goes up at least by a factor of 20.

Ask any of the teams in the MATE ROV or AUVSI AUV competitions.

https://www.robonation.org/competition/robosub

https://www.marinetech.org/rov-competition-2/

Maybe you need to understand my post.
When you go out to a fine restaurant and drop 2 hundred for a dinner for 2 .Do U think THAT'S what it cost to put out that dinner ?
As I have proven in my previous post.IF,.... they charge 1/4 Million for (the same exact plane) that I made for under 500 hundred. Its a no brainier.
And like I said ,land,air sea, NO difference . 023.JPG
Simple or complex,big or small, dosen't matter.I built this 3 Br.3 Ba. 3,000 sq ft. shack back in 85.... Building A simple "underwater drone" (WAY under the prices they ask for ) is child's play :)

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Point proven :)

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the info ropesfish i guess in todays world anything possible ....it all comes down to the cost ....i also want to thank the rest of u guys for giving me ideas on what to do ,,,wish i was younger theres so many lost wrecks in my area and sonar is very limited

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A point was, indeed, proven. We may not agree on what that point was.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
well after looking at all this info i guess 100 feet deep would be possible ....any deeper and the cost is to great

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's what I'm waiting for, one that can navigate underwater, break the surface, and fly away.
THEN, I'll film a fish taking my lure, follow it to the boat, break the surface as i land it, follow my boat to shove, film me as i clean, cook, and eat it.
That would be a first, and way cool.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks rudiger i seen a ad $625 plus shipping less then a minelab 600 the real treasures are in the sea ....... Minelab were your drone ???

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1618805
Heres an example of what you can build (for a fraction of what they sell for). Ten years ago ( pre quad copter junk) .This was Israels 'top shelf' drone. I was so impressed with the flight times of it.That I decided to build one from scratch...... They spent 1/4 Million per copy.I, over the entire winter built "the exact one " for under $500.00 . Flight time ? Over 3 hrs :) View attachment 1618809
Maiden launch. View attachment 1618810
Maiden flight. IF I can do it Anyone can.:) Land ,air ,sea no difference .Especially w/the building materials & info available today .
And, the A.U.W. of mine (at the same size as theirs) came in at 1/2 the weight @ 6 pounds.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ca n you send me a parts list? Looks like fun.
what is the range? Do you have to have line of sight to maintain control?
TIA

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1618805
Heres an example of what you can build (for a fraction of what they sell for). Ten years ago ( pre quad copter junk) .This was Israels 'top shelf' drone. I was so impressed with the flight times of it.That I decided to build one from scratch...... They spent 1/4 Million per copy.I, over the entire winter built "the exact one " for under $500.00 . Flight time ? Over 3 hrs :) View attachment 1618809
Maiden launch. View attachment 1618810
this might be of interest from.my alma mater

You. Might be able to make some winglets to improve the L./D ratio

Reactions: RTR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions