Unexpected 1800s silver and some help on gold ring markings.

Bigmike2334

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a decent day w my buddy who I totally envy due to his accuracy with his new CTX3030, but I ended the day w the best silver coin of the day and totally unexpected from this site and can't believe my AT Pro picked her out being so small and at about 6inches with so much iron around. She might be tough but she never let's me down. Cleaned the coin off carefully to reveal it's an 1881-H Canadian silver nickel. Very nice coin I must say it caught me by surprise, only 1,500,000 were produced as far as my research goes and she has a pretty decent value to collectors. :hello2:Sweet! Also found a what I thought was a sweet solid gold wedding band but due to wear proved otherwise:BangHead:, still a cool ring and had some interestingness markings inside the band I could use some identification help with if anyone would like to help. The markings are as follows (left-right): "crown, vertices anchor, 18, crown". Enjoy the pic and thanks for any info. HH! image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Upvote 21
CTX3030 looks good for coin hunt

Congratulations on the Silver and Gold recoveries! :occasion14:

Very cool finds, I'm not really understanding,
Also found a what I thought was a sweet solid gold wedding band but due to wear proved otherwise
Your pix are a little out of focus but I'm seeing gold?

Wow, nice ring! 18 kt. Excellent find on the coin too

Thanks for the help guys and sorry about the pictures being a bit out of focus, I need a newer phone to take better quality pics. I'm just confused that everyone is saying gold and the markings are saying gold but the ring has a worn down spot at the peak of the outermost part of ring where it looks like it's brass or another metal plated w gold. I'm gonna bring it to local jewelry guy that specializes is this stuff. Thanks again and HH!

Thanks for the help guys and sorry about the pictures being a bit out of focus, I need a newer phone to take better quality pics. I'm just confused that everyone is saying gold and the markings are saying gold but the ring has a worn down spot at the peak of the outermost part of ring where it looks like it's brass or another metal plated w gold. I'm gonna bring it to local jewelry guy that specializes is this stuff. Thanks again and HH!
maybe maker tried pulling a fast one and put another metal in the middle of the ring and shorted the buyer on the gold
if ring was plated or not all gold - the rest of the ring should be discolored also - hard to tell with out actually seeing it in person
Ive found around 1000 pieces of gold over the years and have seen a lot - low karat gold can turn green or other colors
depending on what was used for metals other than the gold - this happens a lot in salt water and in certain soils
take to a jeweler - hopefully they will shed some light

Nice fish scale and gold plated ring. I've dug a lot worse rings than that and wish they were all 20k or better...
Grats to ya and thanks for sharing.

HH & HH ALL.

Well at least we know that the nickel is silver.
18 kt gold is 75% pure gold. It is mixed with another metal to give it a little hardness. Pure gold is too soft.
The choice of metal used to harden the gold is what they call Jeweler's brass. It is very unusual for a ring that is an alloy consisting of 75% gold, and 25% jeweler's brass to corrode or tarnish. That ring may be plated and stamped with a fake maker's mark.

Nice fish scale. Looks to be in good shape to boot. Excellent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back