What's new

Unexpected bottle find

bcboy

Full Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
119
Reaction score
163
Golden Thread
1
Location
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I was detecting with my Excalibur 1000 today working the low tide at the ocean when I got a signal and to my surprise I see this bottle in the scoop of my shovel after digging for the target. The top of the bottle had a small piece of metal in it, thats how I detected it. Not sure of its age but Im thinking early 1900's. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • v 017.webp
    v 017.webp
    44.3 KB · Views: 433
  • v 018.webp
    v 018.webp
    46.8 KB · Views: 443
Well it appears that the top is a flared lip and it appears to be citrine. The shape of the bottle gives a clue to three possible bottle types perfume, cure, poison. Is there any markings whatsoever on the bottle?
 
hi there BttleDiggerDrew, to answer your question, no, there is no markings of any kind on this bottle but thanks for narrowing down the possible type of bottle this is. Thanks.
 
bcboy said:
I was detecting with my Excalibur 1000 today working the low tide at the ocean when I got a signal and to my surprise I see this bottle in the scoop of my shovel after digging for the target. The top of the bottle had a small piece of metal in it, thats how I detected it. Not sure of its age but Im thinking early 1900's. Thanks for looking.

Your guess is right on the mark :icon_thumright:

I've found similar bottles in dumps dating between 1900 and 1915.

The bottle is certainly BIMAL (Blown In Mold Applied Lip), but it might help to get a look at the bottom. If it has a pontil mark (which I doubt), that would push it back to before 1860! :tongue3:
 
sodetraveler said:
bcboy said:
I was detecting with my Excalibur 1000 today working the low tide at the ocean when I got a signal and to my surprise I see this bottle in the scoop of my shovel after digging for the target. The top of the bottle had a small piece of metal in it, thats how I detected it. Not sure of its age but Im thinking early 1900's. Thanks for looking.

Your guess is right on the mark :icon_thumright:

I've found similar bottles in dumps dating between 1900 and 1915.

The bottle is certainly BIMAL (Blown In Mold Applied Lip), but it might help to get a look at the bottom. If it has a pontil mark (which I doubt), that would push it back to before 1860! :tongue3:

yes, pontil mark is key...all in all excellent find :icon_thumright:
 
here is a picture of the bottom of the bottle. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • c 002.webp
    c 002.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 398
You'll probably never know for sure what the bottle contained. It appears vaguely like a hair tonic bottle - slightly fancier than a typical medicine bottle and in an attractive golden amber glass. Nice find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom