A Nice Ax From The Woods

NorILdigcollector

Sep 23, 2015
Northern IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground was too frozen to detect but it was a great day for a walk with temperatures in the lower 40s. I got out to a new section of woods with the kids. While walking down a ravine I spotted an old ax head laying on top of the ground. The side facing the air cleaned up very nice with very little surface rust. The back will take a little more work. I think a dip in the electrolysis tank will clean it up beautifully. It even still has a sharp edge! It looks like they tried to repair it with screws. The wood is mostly rotted away and everything is rusted together in the shank.
1000008273.jpg
1000008274.jpg
1000008278.jpg
1000008280.jpg
1000008279.jpg

Upvote 22

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't believe the screws were for a repair job. Instead of a wedge to hold the handle on, they used screws. I've done the same thing a few times.
Yes the quick repair for a loose handle, screws or a nail.
Proper way is to use a wedge either out of steel or wood.

In this case I think the 3 screws might of weakened the handle, it broke, and they said screw it.
A new handle, a bit of sharpening, and that's reusable ax.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats!

The mushroomed poll became that way honestly.
You grind it flush , or tapered; and it'll never be how you recovered it again. But it yours now .
If you're going to rehang it as a user then you'll be sharpening it's edge again eventually anyways. Which voids the sacred to collectors honest patina.

OP
OP
NorILdigcollector

NorILdigcollector

Sep 23, 2015
Northern IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1000008347.jpg
1000008344.jpg
1000008345.jpg
1000008343.jpg

I got the axe cleaned up. Now it's ready for a new handle and a sharpened blade and it will be ready to use. It has deep pitting on the ground- facing side so it must have been sitting for a long time. I am not sure of the makers mark. Some of the letters are unreadable and all I can make out is JOHN. TZ. HDWE.

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2133227 View attachment 2133229 View attachment 2133230 View attachment 2133235
I got the axe cleaned up. Now it's ready for a new handle and a sharpened blade and it will be ready to use. It has deep pitting on the ground- facing side so it must have been sitting for a long time. I am not sure of the makers mark. Some of the letters are unreadable and all I can make out is JOHN. TZ. HDWE.
Cool find…. I found an axe head a couple years ago and have only recently been doing some identification work. Definitely an interesting collectible area to be into, lots of history there. Still trying to figure mine out, through the use of vinegar baths and all that I was able to find the words True Temper in mine so that narrows down my search… Now about yours…
The axe type I believe to be what they call a Dayton style head and I wonder if the name of the maker is a “John Pritzlaff Hdwe Co.“ The John Pritzlaff Hardware Company was founded in 1850 in Milwaukee, WI by Pritzlaff and two others…and then by 1866 he was the sole owner of the business. In 1875 the business moved to a bigger better location, becoming a wholesale and not just a retailer….they stayed in operation until 1958. I don’t know much more than that about the company… Good luck with the axe and it’s new found life, hopefully it is something you can find a little more about.👍🏼

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like old axes and have found quite a few. Some I have restored and have used for years. This one of yours looks fairly modern and is likely made from high quality steel. It's had a lot of use as evidenced by the greater wear at the top of the blade. It has also been used as a sledge hammer which caused the poll to displace a bit. But it is in really good shape and be a useful tool, with your personal touch on it, for a long time.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground was too frozen to detect but it was a great day for a walk with temperatures in the lower 40s. I got out to a new section of woods with the kids. While walking down a ravine I spotted an old ax head laying on top of the ground. The side facing the air cleaned up very nice with very little surface rust. The back will take a little more work. I think a dip in the electrolysis tank will clean it up beautifully. It even still has a sharp edge! It looks like they tried to repair it with screws. The wood is mostly rotted away and everything is rusted together in the shank. View attachment 2132214 View attachment 2132215 View attachment 2132216 View attachment 2132217 View attachment 2132218
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
NorILdigcollector

NorILdigcollector

Sep 23, 2015
Northern IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find…. I found an axe head a couple years ago and have only recently been doing some identification work. Definitely an interesting collectible area to be into, lots of history there. Still trying to figure mine out, through the use of vinegar baths and all that I was able to find the words True Temper in mine so that narrows down my search… Now about yours…
The axe type I believe to be what they call a Dayton style head and I wonder if the name of the maker is a “John Pritzlaff Hdwe Co.“ The John Pritzlaff Hardware Company was founded in 1850 in Milwaukee, WI by Pritzlaff and two others…and then by 1866 he was the sole owner of the business. In 1875 the business moved to a bigger better location, becoming a wholesale and not just a retailer….they stayed in operation until 1958. I don’t know much more than that about the company… Good luck with the axe and it’s new found life, hopefully it is something you can find a little more about.👍🏼
Thanks for information! I have been trying to figure out the manufacturer and the name seems to match. Milwaukee is about an hour away from me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread