What's new

Uniface?

Older The Better

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2017
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
8,098
Golden Thread
0
Location
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a field today, I used to dismiss these as flakes but as I’ve learned more and more I do believe it is some kind of tool, is this what you would call a uniface tool? Or are those different tools all together and I just have a utilized flake?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560997902.624948.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560997922.776549.webp
Best I can do at the moment to show good flaking on one side
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560997966.481575.webp
Overhead view of worked side
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560997995.133305.webp
Smooth side
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560998062.662212.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560998087.429373.webp
Minor touches to the smooth side
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560998114.166127.webp
The broken back
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560998164.205198.webp
Had to throw in my assistant thinking I had a treat
 
Upvote 0
Last picture looks like a nose to me. Yes, to a uniface tool.
 
To me, it looks larger than a utilized flake. An expedient cutting tool I'd say.
 
Lol is that a yellow lab nose ... I have one of those same assistants , with the micro flaking along that one side makes you wonder if it was on it’s way to being a arrowhead but not finished for some reason ...... but I’m not a knapper so I don’t know if that step would have been saved until both sides had been perfected first ?? Dunno
 
I agree with arrow86. I do some knapping myself. It looks unfinished to me
 
So it’s a sort of unintentional uniface. My helper is a husky
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom