What's new

Uninvited Guests

WannaDig3687

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2017
Messages
23,801
Reaction score
112,451
Golden Thread
0
Location
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
June up at Lake Erie means it's time for the May Fly hatch. Doesn't make sense to me. We get June bugs in May and May flies in June. :icon_scratch:

mayflie1.webp

mayflie2.webp

mayflie3.webp

mayflie4.webp Argh! They attacked my avatar!

mayflie5.webp Say "Hello" to my little friend.

mayflie6.webp This is nothing. On Sunday, they were 100 times worse!


One of the ladies that was staying with me was pretty disgusted by these. I told her to just wait til we drove back from one camp to our camp. Well, one night she had to be the driver, and sure enough, it was like we had creamed corn dumped on the windshield. My car ran out of wiper fluid.


Thanks for looking!

~Sis
 
Ugh driving through them must be unpleasant!
 
Hmm... makes me think of "Love Bugs" plague that happens each year in south Louisiana. BTW, have you shown them a calendar? Maybe they're confused, or just don't know how to read.

Kinda like how my dad used to tell me that Dirt Dobbers, while they look similar to wasps, they'll only sting you in July and August.
 
Ugg that's definitely too many bugs. I get these little water fly's around here in April that look like a miniature version of those.
 
Ugh driving through them must be unpleasant!

Hmm... makes me think of "Love Bugs" plague that happens each year in south Louisiana. BTW, have you shown them a calendar? Maybe they're confused, or just don't know how to read.

Kinda like how my dad used to tell me that Dirt Dobbers, while they look similar to wasps, they'll only sting you in July and August.

Ugg that's definitely too many bugs. I get these little water fly's around here in April that look like a miniature version of those.



Believe it or not, you get used to it. Just pick them up by the wings and throw them back outside, or off of you. Keep a broom handy to sweep them out of the way. But a leaf blower works best because they're pretty fragile.
 
Nice photos, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:
 
They make excellent fish bait.
 
That's why you have a flame thrower attached to the front of your vehicle? Burn them out before they hit the windshield.
 
One year we had so many Miller moths getting in the house, we would go around the house and suck em up with the shop vac.
 
They make excellent fish bait.


I'm sure they would be. But how to you put them on a hook? They wiggle and wiggle and they're so fragile. I know the walleye love them. And so do the birds. I hope to get a pick of a bird with a beak full.
 
That's why you have a flame thrower attached to the front of your vehicle? Burn them out before they hit the windshield.


Ha ha. That might keep people from pulling out in front of me, too!
 
I like the photo of the visitor on your finger...so what are these little creatures? They look different from our June bugs if that is what they are!
 
One year we had so many Miller moths getting in the house, we would go around the house and suck em up with the shop vac.

Well, now, there's an idea.

Last week I had a moth in the house. I thought I would try and save it. I caught it and threw it outside and within seconds a killdeer swooped down and caught it.
 
I like the photo of the visitor on your finger...so what are these little creatures? They look different from our June bugs if that is what they are!

These are May flies. Or Shad flies. They live in fresh water for a year and then they "hatch" as an adult and come out of the waters to reproduce. As an adult they only live for a day to a week.
 
These are May flies. Or Shad flies. They live in fresh water for a year and then they "hatch" as an adult and come out of the waters to reproduce. As an adult they only live for a day to a week.

Oh my! Our May flies are little black annoying creatures that bite. It is a big wide world out there! Thanks for sharing.
 
SORRY TO SAY YOUR JUST GOING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH ITs the price we have to pay for finding all that treasure
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom