May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: United Airlines DC-6 Flight 624

Unfortunately everbody was blown to smitherines, and from the newspaper reports not one body was found in tact.? I don't know how many exactly but I would have to say that the only way they could ID the people was through their dental xrays.?

I really can understand it may sound creepy, but if you would see the site now, 55yrs. later, you would never know there was a crash there.

As with metal detecting, ya never know what your gonna dig out of the ground.?

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LelandGaunt said:
bergie said:
Jeff--do you think there's still lots of stuff there? Can you get extended permission beyond that year?

Seconded... I live in Philly and have family from both Mt Carmel and Centralia. I've been meaning to visit there again.

Mt. Carmel is about 10 miles from me and Centralia about 12. It's soon to be a ghost town, has about 10 houses left there.

L

LelandGaunt

Rich in Central PA said:
LelandGaunt said:
bergie said:
Jeff--do you think there's still lots of stuff there? Can you get extended permission beyond that year?

Seconded... I live in Philly and have family from both Mt Carmel and Centralia. I've been meaning to visit there again.

Mt. Carmel is about 10 miles from me and Centralia about 12.? It's soon to be a ghost town, has about 10 houses left there.

Yeah I was there in winter of 2003 showing Centralia to a couple of my friends. I've been meaning to go back and visit. My grandmother is originally from Mount Carmel and she has an aunt buried in one of the Centralia cemetaries.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"small World" , Yea Centralia is sort of EERIE. considering 20 years ago it was a big city. now all you see is sidwalks with grass pushing thru, & a stray house here & there. there is still smoke coming out the ground on the upper part in front of the one cemetery. the Fire Company looks out of place too :) for anyone curious : http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm

Last edited:

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Jeff, that's a GREAT story. Iknow you guys worked your tails and detectors to the bone and I' m sure the finds can't be truely measured on the monetary sense. Looking forward to the next W&E and may you're next adventure be just as rewarding. HH

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks Stoney, gonna be hard to top it tho :) still trying to decide what next. I like to find unsearched sites & hammer them for a year straight. ;D

Last edited:

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Which means that it will be 1 1/2 yr. before we hear about it but can bet that it'll be worthy of W&E and a string longer thean Beekman's. ;D HH

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

WOW WOW WOW, What a story and web site,first I have seen of this post Jeff,Grats on the hard work and finds.Good luck on your next ture of duty.Now I know where your ring comes from.HH

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks JARMAN, I only wish the ring had initials in it. as giving it to a true relative, would make the whole thing more Enjoyable. unfortunately there were several Masons on board. and the ring is again on the finger of a Mason.

Last edited:

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

:) That form of kindness is one of the great things of this hobby,AS good as finding that nice coin that you dont return.HH

L

LelandGaunt

jeff of pa said:
"small World" , Yea Centralia is sort of EERIE. considering 20 years ago it was a big city. now all you see is sidwalks with grass pushing thru, & a stray house here & there. there is still smoke coming out the ground on the upper part in front of the one cemetery. the Fire Company looks out of place too :) for anyone curious : http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm

? I used to work with the guy who runs offroaders.com. His name is Ralph. The gray truck in the "Road CLosed" photo is his. I have a few pics of Centralia posted at http://www.alabiso.com/alex/index.php?page=gallview&img_dir=photos/centralia from my trip in 2000.

edit: wrong quote

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unbelievable, thanks for sharing!!!!!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds. I would have hunted it given the chance. Grave yards and most battle sites are protected by law so if you got permission to hunt it must be OK. I also assume like most TH,ers you are in it for the finds and don't sell most of them.

Ed

F

Floater

Jeff or Rich , I know you had permission to hunt the wreck site but do people go to Centralia and hunt the old home sites or is this not allowed because of the danger . Thanks and This is G R E A T story. thanks for telling it.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CENTRALIA is open for Hunting.
I talked to A Local Township Police Officer, Who Told me No Problem.

The only Places in Centrailia where you would need on the Scene Permission, are in the Few Yards, where homes Remain.

And the Upper South Western Corner of the Former City, is all that is on Fire

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Floater said:
Jeff or Rich , I know you had permission to hunt the wreck site but do people go to Centralia and hunt the old home sites or is this not allowed because of the danger . Thanks and This is G R E A T? story. thanks for telling it.

Centralia is just about a ghost town with about a dozen dwellings remaining.? There are many foundations there and detecting is allowed...............no questions asked.? There are many yards, driveways, homesites, schoolyards, fields, etc., etc., as far as the trained eye can visualize.

I have been there many times as it is just about a 20 minite drive from my house.? I found my very first seated liberty dime there digging near a clothsline next to a huge oak tree.? The place is still burning underground and smoke can be seen, and cracks appear in the concrete and roads periodically due to the fire underground.? Its just a matter of time before everybody leaves............Rich

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

this is a fascinating thread! both the plane crash and the Centralia stories. nice finds thanks for sharing them with us!

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow, the Airline specific stuff is really cool and definitly the most historic!

Arch

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products

That is a great story! Very nice finds Jeff, and Rich in central pa. Keep up the good work!! Happy Hunting!!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff, Your posting here is incredible. The finds look as if they want to speak and tell a story. The one that caught my eye was the tooth and partial/crown. My first thought was should it be given to authorities to help identify remains? Other the that the ring with initials possibly being returned to a relative all of the other finds should be added to your collection. Did you or your partner find any signs, such as when the coins were found, were they in cloth possibly coat pockets or pant pockets or purses? Man could I go on forever with questions but I won,t. Once again great finds and posts. Keep at it.

Ed Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread