What's new

Unknown Buckle????

wcallis

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2011
Messages
27
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this buckle? at a Civil War campground site. It was buried approximately 7 inches deep. It measures 2 3/8" X 2 3/8" square. It is made of brass and is very heavy and strong. It was gold plated at one time as there are still two small spots of the plating left on the back. It is embossed with the head of what appears to be a Napoleon era soldier's head inside an oval frame. Outside the oval frame are embossed vines with leaves with chevron's in each corner. The very outside edge of the piece is raised and embossed in a twisted rope pattern. There is a "loop" bradded on the back but no idication of there ever having been a hook. I can find no identifying marks anywhere on the piece.
Any help in identyfing this piece will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • unknown buckle.webp
    unknown buckle.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 237
  • unknown buckle front.webp
    unknown buckle front.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 232
Dang,there sure has been a lot of those surface lately.Super cool,I cant recall the story on them but somebody will be along
 
Upvote 0
:hello:

That is the head of Minerva (Roman Goddess) it's proberbly a Victorian era sash Buckle :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0
I cant find it in Odonnels book,havent looked in Kerksis'.Maybe Colin is right??I just cant recall?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom