What's new

Unknown Civil War Bullet

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Folks,
I have a mystery wormed CW bullet that is too short for a Starr and/or Picket, and doesn't have any rings like a Burnside. As you can see from the pics, it has a totally flat base. Any ideas? Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • CWBulletSideView.webp
    CWBulletSideView.webp
    11.3 KB · Views: 813
  • CWBulletFlatBase.webp
    CWBulletFlatBase.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 854
  • CWBulletDiameter.webp
    CWBulletDiameter.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 721
  • CWBulletLength.webp
    CWBulletLength.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 707
I believe there are CW era lead shotgun slugs... I wonder if that happens to be one. I shall follow the thread to find out.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
I believe there are CW lead shotgun slugs... I wonder if that happens to be one. I shall follow the thread to find out.

IP, I'm thinking those shot gun slugs were rounded at both ends, yet elongated, but I"m not sure.

I also thought it could be a Colt Dragoon.
 
Upvote 0
It looks a lot like a 12mm pin-fire. Number 8 in the picture. The measurements are very close as well.
 

Attachments

  • pinfire.webp
    pinfire.webp
    78.4 KB · Views: 744
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
It looks a lot like a 12mm pin-fire. Number 8 in the picture. The measurements are very close as well.

I did some research after reading your post, and found out LEFAUCHEUX made 5 mm , 7 mm , 9 mm , 12 mm and huge 15 mm. This bullet measure slightly over 14 mm, which is probably right for the 15 mm considering shrinkage from age.

I'm wondering if this a rare bullet?

Thanks :thumbsup: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
The bullet being wormed, I would think it would be a muzzleloading bullet. Not much reason to pull a breechloaded bullet, if stuck part way in the barrel it would be most likely driven out with a rod not pulled.
 
Upvote 0
l.cutler said:
The bullet being wormed, I would think it would be a muzzleloading bullet. Not much reason to pull a breechloaded bullet, if stuck part way in the barrel it would be most likely driven out with a rod not pulled.

You're absolutely right about it being wormed, thus a muzzleloader. Now we need to figure out what kind of bullet it is. I'm wondering if it is some type of variant Picket?

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Being "wormed" out it either was loaded into a musket with no rifling, loaded with a patch or loaded into a revolver and pulled instead of punched out. Any of the 3 would have left marks other than just the holed point where the bullet remover was screwed in. Measuring 0.56 it would probably have been a patched bullet that was cast undersize to allow for easier loading and the space taken up by the patch. Also, I don't see any crimping groove or scar from being crimped so it must have been loaded from the muzzle. My guess would be a .60 caliber rifle bullet or musket bullet. Probaly CSA as they had several off beat sizes from imported carbines and rifles? Just my best guess. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Being "wormed" out it either was loaded into a musket with no rifling, loaded with a patch or loaded into a revolver and pulled instead of punched out. Any of the 3 would have left marks other than just the holed point where the bullet remover was screwed in. Measuring 0.56 it would probably have been a patched bullet that was cast undersize to allow for easier loading and the space taken up by the patch. Also, I don't see any crimping groove or scar from being crimped so it must have been loaded from the muzzle. My guess would be a .60 caliber rifle bullet or musket bullet. Probaly CSA as they had several off beat sizes from imported carbines and rifles? Just my best guess. Monty

Monty, Thank you for your post and opinion. What do you mean by a patched bullet?

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Monty, Thank you for your post and opinion. What do you mean by a patched bullet?

Breezie
A cloth greased patch was wrapped around the bullet for loading (a tighter fit). I think all round balls were patched.
 

Attachments

  • patch cotton-pillow-ticking-patch.webp
    patch cotton-pillow-ticking-patch.webp
    3.3 KB · Views: 615
  • patch cotton-pillow-ticking-patch.webp
    patch cotton-pillow-ticking-patch.webp
    3.3 KB · Views: 706
  • patches and ball.webp
    patches and ball.webp
    944 bytes · Views: 614
Upvote 0
Patch and ball. Pour in powder. Place oiled patch on top of barrel and seat bullet and them ram her home. I have not found one like that before like your's Breezie. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I have the book Civil War Projectiles II but I can't find a bullet in it that is exactly the same. I have found several that are almost the same. The problem is that the CSA used so many different kinds of bullets from so many sources I doubt that all of them have been 100% identified. I feel confident it was probably a CSA bullet and again that is just my opinion. There were more I found that were similar described as "carbine" bullets than any other kind. A carbine was merely a short rifle, usually issued to cavalry or artillery troops. Many of the carbines used cased cartridges, but yours don't show any crimp marks and looks like it was "wormed" out of the bore due to the nose disfiguring. A cased bullet wouldn't be wormed out anyway. A "worm" was the common word used for a screw type jag put on the end of the ramrod that would screw its self into the nose of the bullet and then pull the bullet out of the barrel. A cased bullet is one that is loaded into a cartridge case instead of directly into a barrel. It is crimped to hold the bullet tight for complete combustion of the powder, or in a multishot gun the crimp keeps the bullet from backing out under recoil of earlier shots. I forget that not everyone is familiar with the terms so I am explaining in a little more detail. Monty
 
Upvote 0
An Enfield that was cut off somehow?

Sorry, I'm ballistically challenged you know. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Not a cut off Enfield, but a short rifle that came along late in the war. usually fired a rimfire cartridge rather than muzzleload. Designed for easy handling from horseback or to carry along with artillery units and often underpowered for short distance combat. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Not a cut off Enfield, but a short rifle that came along late in the war. usually fired a rimfire cartridge rather than muzzleload. Designed for easy handling from horseback or to carry along with artillery units and often underpowered for short distance combat. Monty

Monty, do you have a name for the short rifle? Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Monty said:
Not a cut off Enfield, but a short rifle that came along late in the war. usually fired a rimfire cartridge rather than muzzleload. Designed for easy handling from horseback or to carry along with artillery units and often underpowered for short distance combat. Monty

Monty, do you have a name for the short rifle? Thanks, Breezie

Monty are you thinking of the 1867 Rolling Block in 12.7x44 or the gov issue 50/70. They are kinda heavy like a slug gun would shoot? I am sure a ballistic table somewhere might have diameters.
I think you guys are close on this one.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry had to come back to this. It's size screams black powder pistol.
 
Upvote 0
I just don't know. Simple as that. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom