Unknown feature on arial image

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
The below image is from a 1939 arial image. This is on land that has been used from the mid 18th century. What are the dotted lines in the field?

arialwhat.jpg

Thanks,
Kevo

OP
OP
Kevo_DFX

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
If they are, then I probably would not want to eat the corn and soybean that grow there now!

It's just a farmers field now. I don't know if they would move a cemetery just to have a little more field space?

Kevo

OP
OP
Kevo_DFX

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I'll bet you that is exactly what they are Mackaydon. The farmer mentioned something about beehive boxes on the property. I'll bet you they just moved some of the dang things.

Well, someone had to tend the bees. Might as well give it a sweep or three.

Thanks MacKaydon.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some big dang "bee boxes". Compare the size of the spots with the width of that road.

OP
OP
Kevo_DFX

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
That road is a one rut track barely big enough for a normal size car. We call them tractor paths? Do you still think the bee boxes are too big?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Working on the hive hypothesis: what were the fields nearby? Any clover being grown in 1939? Lots of clover right now near me, and bees are nearly a requirement for obtaining a good seed crop. I'd suspect soybeans would need lots of pollination as well. What crops are generally cultivated there?

Also in the photo I can see, only a portion of the photo area is shown. If hives, they seem rather crowded, to me, unless they were in a clover field at the time. Crimson clover can reach 40 inches, and requires that kind of heavy-duty bee assistance. Honey production from such a site would be phenomenal as well.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Spend most of your time at those 2 trees located at either end of the field: one of those locations had to be the origin of where the path began and the other, the end. I'd bet on the lower tree being the most congenial spot to park to tend the hives.

uthunter

Sep 7, 2010
Cache County, Utah
If they were white bee hive boxes, then they might show up a bit bigger in the photo depending on the resolution. Also, the photo is at an angle, so the boxes would appear bigger. In 1939, the aerial cameras were not that good, and the resolution was quite poor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread