What's new

Unknown fossil from Devonian site - Dental plate? - ID help!

MarkDz

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
336
Reaction score
80
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Hi... any opinions (good or bad) on this item would be appreciated. I found it on a Devonian marine site in Carbon County, Pennsylvania. It's a weird thing for sure. ??? Could it be a dental plate of some kind? Thanks for any ideas.
 

Attachments

  • Copy of SDC17186 - fossil collage.webp
    Copy of SDC17186 - fossil collage.webp
    113.7 KB · Views: 256
Yup... stingray
 
Thanks, Gator! I didn't realize some plates were double-sided like this one.
 
Yeah man..nice one.
 
Im pretty sure there were no Devonian Stingrays. could be a placoderm grinding plate though. Red Hill find?
 
Thanks for the note Lordpiney. I figured it looked like a grinding plate but, being intricate and two-sided, is different from others I've seen online. I found it in Lehighton, PA. Any ideas are appreciated!
 
The Devonian is far from my comfort zone (i almost exclusively hunt Cretaceous fossils) so im prob not the best person to give you a solid id. are you sure it's not plant remains? it looks like it could be a stem from something, and you found it quite close to St. Clair.
 
Hmm... I really have no idea... It just looked to me like some marine tooth fossils, and was from a marine site. It could be anything, though. Sure could be a plant of some sort.
Thanks!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom