What's new

Unknown Iron piece-Now known thanks Creskol

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I found this unknown iron piece in the same area as a S & Co. 1850's padlock, a correctional mule shoe, iron carriage step, CW iron buckle & CW butt plate. Any one have any ideas about this one? Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronLoop1.webp
    IronLoop1.webp
    19.5 KB · Views: 297
  • IronLoop2.webp
    IronLoop2.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IronLoop3.webp
    IronLoop3.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 283
Re: Unknown Iron piece

an end off of a singletree .. actually, it might be the center link from a singletree
 

Attachments

  • Screen shot 2010-01-18 at 9.13.54 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2010-01-18 at 9.13.54 PM.webp
    17 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

reign guide from a ox or horse cart :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

creskol said:
an end off of a singletree .. actually, it might be the center link from a singletree

Creskol, EXCELLENT ID!!!!!! You did it in less than 1 minute! :headbang: I can green check this one. Do you know how old this one might be??? Most of the iron stuff I found was mid 1800s. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

I know with absolute certainty that this is one of a pair of hook assemblies that went on each end of a single tree. Your piece is missing the hook component that was coupled to the ring. I found this identical item and was able to identify it on page 61 of Howard Crouch's "Civil War Artifacts" book. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

They can be civil war but were used later as well. I don't really know how late though. Since Breezie dug it was can say it's civil war. :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

kyphote said:
I know with absolute certainty that this is one of a pair of hook assemblies that went on each end of a single tree. Your piece is missing the hook component that was coupled to the ring. I found this identical item and was able to identify it on page 61 of Howard Crouch's "Civil War Artifacts" book. ;D

Kyphote, I have HC's book, and just checked it out. The width of the wide area is 2 1/2 inches on mine, which looks larger than the pic in HC's book, but his pic may be an optical illusion. It looks like it belongs in the center of the singletree, but whether the end or the middle, it's part of a singletree Thanks to all, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

That iron may have been lost 100 years before the CW or any time after that.

It's a nice old relic though - in great shape and obviously a one-off piece.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

Montana Jim said:
That iron may have been lost 100 years before the CW or any time after that.

It's a nice old relic though - in great shape and obviously a one-off piece.

Thanks Jim for the kudos . . . .she looked like "nobody's darling" before I cleaned for an hour with a wire brush. I need a manicure! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

Breezie said:
kyphote said:
I know with absolute certainty that this is one of a pair of hook assemblies that went on each end of a single tree. Your piece is missing the hook component that was coupled to the ring. I found this identical item and was able to identify it on page 61 of Howard Crouch's "Civil War Artifacts" book. ;D

Kyphote, I have HC's book, and just checked it out. The width of the wide area is 2 1/2 inches on mine, which looks larger than the pic in HC's book, but his pic may be an optical illusion. It looks like it belongs in the center of the singletree, but whether the end or the middle, it's part of a singletree Thanks to all, Breezie

Yes, hard to say based on HC's reveal. The center assemblies depicted in this thread look to be taller than the 4 inches yours measures, though. Wonder what the standard dimensions were on those things...
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

Many of them were hand forged to fit a hand hewed singletree. Breezie .. yours looks old, and is a neat find!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

I found this piece of pottery in the same hole as the singletree. It's definitely not our Momma's cookware! LOL Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Pottery.webp
    Pottery.webp
    32.9 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

Just noticed that the iron wheel hub washer just identified in the post titled "Battlefield-found iron whatzit" can also be found on page 61 of HC's book. Too funny.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

kyphote said:
Just noticed that the iron wheel hub washer just identified in the post titled "Battlefield-found iron whatzit" can also be found on page 61 of HC's book. Too funny.

I 'think' I found one of those today too, but have not cleaned it. It has 3 tiny post on the back, and I don't know if those post go along with the hub washer or not.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

Breezie said:
I found this piece of pottery in the same hole as the singletree. It's definitely not our Momma's cookware! LOL Breezie

Ok, I almost fell over when I saw your china. Here's the piece of flow blue I found with my assembly (which also measures 4 inches tall by the way). The coincidences don't stop! :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • singletree_flowblue.webp
    singletree_flowblue.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown Iron piece

kyphote said:
Breezie said:
I found this piece of pottery in the same hole as the singletree. It's definitely not our Momma's cookware! LOL Breezie

Ok, I almost fell over when I saw your china. Here's the piece of flow blue I found with my assembly (which also measures 4 inches tall by the way). The coincidences don't stop! :laughing7:

WOW! That is so amazing it's almost spooky! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Late gettin in the game today . Based on the dimension I'd be more inclined to call that the center iron from a whiffle tree that makes up one side of a neckyoke used on the tongue of an implement with a breeching harness configuration on the horses .
Jim
 
Upvote 0
truckinbutch said:
Late gettin in the game today . Based on the dimension I'd be more inclined to call that the center iron from a whiffle tree that makes up one side of a neckyoke used on the tongue of an implement with a breeching harness configuration on the horses .
Jim

I have no idea what you just said but that only lends credence to your theory.
 
Upvote 0
Iron hardware for horsedrawn implements is forged to the same general shape for a given area . The size of the piece often denotes whether it was used for draft or deceleration and guidance .
That piece shows wear evenly from a ring rubbing constantly while being suspended from a horse's neck rather than being drawn against .
Had I spent more time learning computers than working horses I could post examples to make it easier for all to understand .
My bad ....
Jim
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom