What's new

✅ SOLVED Unknown items

nigelrex

Full Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2020
Messages
102
Reaction score
94
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fredericksburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300 now, but looking for recommendations
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm curious about these two items were found next to each other (plus a rusted coin) under an uprooted oak tree in a known civil war camp area. An SNY buckle was found in the creek a couple of hundred feet away. It is in a farming area.
 

Attachments

  • item.webp
    item.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Both items.webp
    Both items.webp
    17 KB · Views: 87
  • item1.webp
    item1.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Item2.webp
    Item2.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Looks like some buckles, other than that I can't be of any help. Was the coin rusted (refers to ferrous metals only) or just corroded real bad?
 
Upvote 0
Do you mean you don’t know they’re buckles?
Or that you want specifics on them?
 
Upvote 0
Corroded bad with rust.
 
Upvote 0
I dug a lot of these in Union CW camps over the years. I believe most were used either on haversacks or horse leather.
 
Upvote 0
Corroded bad with rust.
 
Upvote 0
I had Kepi buckle in my head, so helpful to hear horse buckles. Also found a horseshoe recently, so interesting to see a picture of the unit starting to form.
 
Upvote 0
I had Kepi buckle in my head, so helpful to hear horse buckles. Also found a horseshoe recently, so interesting to see a picture of the unit starting to form.

Kepi buckles didn't have hinged tongues.

For reference: it is very helpful to include a ruler or something common like a coin in the images so viewers have some idea of size.
 
Upvote 0
Common 19th C horse harness buckles.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom