What's new

Unknown looks old as dirt Coin(Update:300ish AD)

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unknown 'looks old as dirt' Coin(Update:300ish AD)

Hey Gang, I'd like to say I found this coin, but I didn't; a special friend gave it to me. What is it? It looks like Caesar. As always, thanks in advance for any help. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • UnknownCoin1.webp
    UnknownCoin1.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 420
  • UnknownCoin2.webp
    UnknownCoin2.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 415
Re: Unknown 'looks old as dirt' Coin

:hello:

Breezie...pretty much sure it's a Constantine 11, AE Follis, you can just make out the legend on the obverse...Constantinvs, the reverse is a bit harder :wink: this link should help you, as you know I off on Holls soon, so Cru might give you a hand :icon_thumleft:


http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantine_II/t.html

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown 'looks old as dirt' Coin

nice soli invicto comiti :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown 'looks old as dirt' Coin

Oh my goodness . . .I'm not use to coins with 3 numbers in the date! Constantine! Thanks to SS and LaZoOro. :thumbsup: I'll do some research on this. Is the "F" the mint mark; what does it mean? Should I clean it; if so, what is the best method for bronze. I appreciate it, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown 'looks old as dirt' Coin(Update:300ish AD)

I think i remember Cru saying he just spits on it and wipes it off :laughing9: well he did
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown 'looks old as dirt' Coin(Update:300ish AD)

Deepdiger60 said:
I think i remember Cru saying he just spits on it and wipes it off :laughing9: well he did

LOL . . .well, he'd better draw back a long breath to hit it from here! I'll center it over a brass spittoon to give him a point of reference. :laughing7:

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown 'looks old as dirt' Coin(Update:300ish AD)

Nice ID guys:

Constantine the Great, Follis
Lyon mint if PLG in exergue, 1st officina
IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right
SOLI INVICTO COMITI, Radiate sol left, holding globe, F-T in field.
Ref : Cohen # 513, Roman coins # 3868

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=303&pos=10

Don........
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown 'looks old as dirt' Coin

Breezie said:
Oh my goodness . . .I'm not use to coins with 3 numbers in the date! Constantine! Thanks to SS and LaZoOro. :thumbsup: I'll do some research on this. Is the "F" the mint mark; what does it mean? Should I clean it; if so, what is the best method for bronze. I appreciate it, Breezie

looks that coin can be easily cleaned with toothpick around letters. i use soft metal needle with flatten tip. :thumbsup:
peace
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unknown 'looks old as dirt' Coin(Update:300ish AD)

Thanks gang for all the help and perfect ID. Our family just got back from a trip to the beach, and will be posting a few goodies. Happy 4th! Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom