What's new

Unknown UK silver

cerebus

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
97
Reaction score
484
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
An old find that I just cleaned up and was surprised to see it was half of a silver coin. Always thought it was half of a button. Found in the UK.
 

Attachments

  • CB35EE04-C424-44C7-BC99-FF981D5E99EC.webp
    CB35EE04-C424-44C7-BC99-FF981D5E99EC.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 108
  • E214AD2E-6358-4C76-BD33-5D63806A6F10.webp
    E214AD2E-6358-4C76-BD33-5D63806A6F10.webp
    27 KB · Views: 109
the shield kinda looks like from the reign on James 1st
 
Upvote 0
I really have no idea and am surprised it seems to be a silver coin, this pic may help, is definitely thicker than a regular hammered silver. Not sure if that means it could be a later milled fragment or an earlier coin.
 

Attachments

  • B62C788E-2A02-4652-9986-98C5EA82BB31.webp
    B62C788E-2A02-4652-9986-98C5EA82BB31.webp
    119.5 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
Interesting for sure
 
Upvote 0
Well it's not half maybe quarter of a coin...
Nice find though
 
Upvote 0
I really have no idea and am surprised it seems to be a silver coin, this pic may help, is definitely thicker than a regular hammered silver. Not sure if that means it could be a later milled fragment or an earlier coin.
James I Sixpence James I sixpence, second coinage, dated 1606, fourth bust, mm escallop, S2658. | Leodis Hammered Coins of England

Didn't read this thickness bit.

There is another possibility that I see quite often, its a larger thicker denomination, like a 6 pence that has been clipped heavily all the way to the centre circle.
 
Upvote 0
James I Sixpence James I sixpence, second coinage, dated 1606, fourth bust, mm escallop, S2658. | Leodis Hammered Coins of England

Didn't read this thickness bit.

There is another possibility that I see quite often, its a larger thicker denomination, like a 6 pence that has been clipped heavily all the way to the centre circle.
That's kind of what it seems like, is tough to get a good pic of the thickness. It is def heavily clipped. Will try to get a better quality pic.
 
Upvote 0
This is the width vs an Elizabeth 1 1/2 Groat.
A better pic of the other side, coins not in the greatest condition lol.
It really does match up with the James 1 coin, but too thick.
 

Attachments

  • A93EBC14-3CDE-4CE6-8332-D96123078CD7.webp
    A93EBC14-3CDE-4CE6-8332-D96123078CD7.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 782FF5B6-E4BE-4790-AF60-8AA7C3919DFF.webp
    782FF5B6-E4BE-4790-AF60-8AA7C3919DFF.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
This is the width vs an Elizabeth 1 1/2 Groat.
A better pic of the other side, coins not in the greatest condition lol.
It really does match up with the James 1 coin, but too thick.
I'm stumped.
It looks to be the thickness of a James I HALFCROWN but the inner circle would be much bigger, so no further idea what it is.
 
Upvote 0
I have no idea what Im talking about but thats my vote
 
Upvote 0
Thx for the replies. Its a very strange coin(maybe a coin lol). The way it is broken in half and not cut makes it pretty obvious its not a hammered. The James 1 similarities are there for a milled coin. Some things about it make me think its fairly recent, others make it seem really old. Dont think will ever figure this 1 out, took me 3 years to figure out it might be a coin ;)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom