This was my great grandfathers watch fob 14k gold from the late 1800's.
Have wondered about the design for years?
Thought it was Masonic at first and have some tell me it is and some tell me no?
If anyone could help I would appreciate it.
It's from St. Louis MO area.
I've been to numerous websites, have had college professors on this with no luck, I'm trying to find a copy of Sears Roebuck catalog from the late 1800's to see if it might have come through there, from what I know if my great grandfather he was a very proud German gentleman some even say he was a snob, I can't see him owning a piece like this without it having some kind of meaning?
He even had his initials engraved on the bottom but not deep enough to be a wax seal stamp.
Nice piece, to me it looks more art deco than late Victorian. I would guess 1920's and made in the style of a seal. Are there any hallmarks, or just the 14k mark?
Could we see the other side and bottom ? HH
Broken Knee
Havamal, I have copies of the 1898, 1902, and 1908 Sears catalogues. I will check them and see if there is a similar piece listed in them. Might take me a day or so, but I will let you know if I find anything.
Havamal, I have copies of the 1898, 1902, and 1908 Sears catalogues. I will check them and see if there is a similar piece listed in them. Might take me a day or so, but I will let you know if I find anything.
OK, that explains it, its a sudo-seal copying the seals of the early 1800s that became more jewelry than functional, by the late 1800s, many had little or no incised designs on the base but where the same basic 'form'. (pure decoration, and not functional)