Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Friend of mine wants to know if anyone how I would go about finding a dealer interested in an unopened Denver Mint bag of 1964 nickles?

It is a $200 mint bag, so should be 4,000 coins.

I have an old Palm Pixi so I can't post a phone pic until later this evening.

He has not opened the bag, and I have personally inspected it to make sure no one has checked it. His father was a coin dealer, and we found this bag after his passing.

Last edited:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not much of a Jeff collector but if you eBay it, you might get some takers. Especially the Registry Set gurus. A full step '64d in ms65 and above is worth A LOT in a pcgs holder (like $650!). Might even search it yourself.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that's my understanding....

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I should have worded it as "How would one go about finding a dealer/collector who would be interested in ...."

So, changed the original post. My mistake.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda the same thing.....you're still fishing for a buyer. If you hadn't mentioned what you planned on selling, it might have flown, but now....??

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
"How do I find a dealer?" = "Where do I look for a dealer?" = "How does one locate a dealer?"

I'm new to the idea of parting with good coins ... I keep all my finds that are of value, I purchase coins I like (people still come to our store to sell rare coins as well as silver and gold coins), I still have every single one of those I have accumulated since I started collecting in 1986. Maybe if I get ill and need the money I would sell them, but really plan to pass them to my daughter (if I left them to my wife, they'd all be gone before sunset).

I collect, my late employer always told me not to become attached to my coins ... one of the few things we did not see eye to eye on.

His son is now my employer. He has no knowledge of where to sell ... and I can't help him because I DON'T SELL my coins (or my misprinted paper currency). I have searched for coin dealers, but seems like all I can find are the big business dealers who are in the business of screwing people with misgraded coins (yeah, have been there before ...).

If you know where I can locate a dealer, I'll be gone.

Sorry if I offended you or anyone here.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Chadeaux,

As has been recommended, eBay would be the best bet for selling the Mint Bag of Nickels! Coin Dealers are in the business of making money and are going to try to purchase the coins for the least amount as possible. With eBay you will not only be able to attract the attention of lots of Coin Dealers but also attract the attention of a wide variety of Coin Collectors and Coin Enthusiasts that could number in the thousands and possibly millions. List the Mint Bag of Nickels on eBay with really good pictures and a great listing description, start the Auction at a low $0.99 price (this keeps the Listing Fees cheaper unless eBay is offering Free Listings) but put a Reserve Price on the item which is the least your friend will take. The Mint Bag of Nickels will either sell or not sell and if not, you can relist and revise the Reserve Price, pictures and listing description as needed to hopefully get the item to sell.

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense taken. We're just trying to make you aware of the rules before you get in trouble. In most cases, you can sell coins at the same place where you buy them.....coin shops, shows, e-bay, Craig's list, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions