What's new

untouched civil war camp site

chopper

Full Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
129
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites
It's my first time on this site. I just started metal detecting. I have 13 acres in an old civil war town that had many soldiers from both sides camp here throughout the war. 10 of these acres have been unaccessible for the last 100 years. I have recently found one 3 ringer
(federal) and one floral pattern confederate button, along with a multitude of iron nails and misc. crap. Every foot I walk I get a ring , a buzz, the whole place is covered and I have no idea where to start. I have a cheapie detector and little skill so I've been digging craters, loading dirt in buckets and sifting at night- yikes. So heres my question -what machine do I buy?- I want to keep it as close to $500 as possible. I want to hunt primarily relics but I also want something thats good at finding silver so I can take an occasional break from digging up nails and iron fragments.
 
The one in my hand is pretty thick, I would say they are pretty similar. The one in my hand is more than 1/4 inch thick. If anything they may be differing size but definitely look the same to me.

Also, Chopper, as for the axe head, I have 5 just like it that I found in front of civil war earthworks on a battlefield. The ones I found were probably used for felling the trees so that the cannon and men had a clear line of sight and clear view of the target. Go to CollectorsFrame.com and take a look at his axe heads for sale.
 
Nobody is perfect...but practice, practice, practice and you can get pretty good at telling SOME
things from another. Good luck.

-Scotty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom