Unusual Antique Koi Fish Brooch Find!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came across this brooch in a vendor mall in my town. To be honest, I had seen it before, and was always a little intrigued, but I couldn't be bothered to get the clerk to come unlock the showcase. Well, today I had the time, and the store wasn't busy, so I drug the clerk to the back of the warehouse and finally got a good look. I was never sure whether it was a buckle or a brooch, as the previous owner had it sitting on a framed piece of satin. Turns out it is a brooch. I removed it from the frame and looked it over. No markings that I could see, but the craftsmanship is excellent. The back of the picture frame has an inscription, which is what got me excited. I love a good backstory, and I'm paraphrasing here because I sent the brooch & frame home with my wife and I don't have it here to read verbatim, but it read "your grandmother gave this brooch to me in 1949 and at the time it was very very old. Now I would like you to have it." The inscription is dated 1971. So, whether valuable or not, I would venture to call it "antique". Here are a couple of photos as it looked in the frame. I apologize for the photos being cropped weird. I didn't really want to show the price sticker in case I decide to sell it down the road and someone finds this forum when they are searching comparables. :-D Again, I don't have it here in front of me right now, but I would guess it is about 4 inches in length. Any ideas on the center stone?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456965621.896110.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456965812.493595.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456965836.513321.jpg k

Last edited:
OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Beachkid. I was hoping you or another of the resident jewelry experts - here's looking at you mugsisme :-) would chime in. I still have 9 appraisals remaining on a package of 10 appraisals I bought from an online appraisal site, so I plan on using one on this brooch.

I got this brooch for just a little over half of the sticker price. The antique mall clerk contacted the vendor and gave him my offer, and the buyer accepted right away. The funny thing is it's the same store clerk who I ranted about in another post for refusing to contact a vendor with my offer. I thought he was in the wrong at the time, but maybe he just knows who is flexible and who isn't. Plus, I'm sure it helped that in this case, the vendor price sticker was sun-faded. It was clear it had been in that showcase a long time.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really cool brooch. I would love to see what you find out about it.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer broach. In a class by itself.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! The stone looks like some kind of composite to me. Similar to composite turquoise but with something red thrown in the mix!

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The back is rather plain, and the clasp is a simple C-clasp, which as I understand was predominantly used pre-1910, because the rollover or safety clasp was invented and in use by that date.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457025042.001432.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457025054.135647.jpg

Last edited:

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen that in a jewelry book, but I can't remember which one or the name. The stone, I mean. I'm out now. I'll see what I can find when I get home.
It's definitely antique

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished submitting photographs and details of the brooch to an online appraisal site, supposedly staffed with former Sotheby's and Christie's employees. Now we play the waiting game...

I've used them once before. When I heard back from them, I was like one of those depressed people you see during the end credits of Antiques Roadshow who thought their family heirloom was a real treasure and find out it's worth squat.

Why can't I be the guy who finds out the $3 yard sale bowl he's been throwing his car keys and pocket change in is worth $2.2 million?!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice vintage piece to me. Great find

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Stone is a turquoise and coral matrix and you are correct, it is old. Handmade and very well done. Can't tell from pictures, suspect a talented artist made it.

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find! It looks very much like a Neiger Brothers piece (Czech), circa 1920's with art glass.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metro, I can't believe it, but I think you nailed it. I just found a similarly styled piece on Etsy, this one featuring dual Phoenix birds flanking a nearly identical center stone.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457234925.184721.jpg
Sadly, it seems the talented Neiger brothers were among the countless victims of the Nazi regime. I really owe you a big thank you. A popular online appraisal site who shall remain nameless charged me for an appraisal, and responded with a terribly vague answer and a terribly low appraisal. In their 'expert opinion', it was merely 'Oriental costume jewelry'. So thank you again.

Last edited:

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so glad I could help, SDIceMan. :) But I'm sorry to hear about the appraisal site -- they should have a policy of reimbursement if they're unable to ID a piece.

I agree -- such a tragedy and loss regarding the Neiger Brothers. But their legacy lives on, and you have a very fabulous example of their work! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Metro, I can't believe it, but I think you nailed it. I just found a similarly styled piece on Etsy, this one featuring dual Phoenix birds flanking a nearly identical center stone.
. In their 'expert opinion', it was merely 'Oriental costume jewelry'. So thank you again.
Well to be honest with you i also thought it was costume also .. But it is a nice looking piece ... And to me the back does not look hand made it looks molded to me..

Last edited:
OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely understand that Keppy. I suppose the brooch IS just technically costume jewelry, but the similarities to the Neiger Bros. pieces are too great to ignore, so I am comfortable attributing it to them. I think their story and the age of the piece elevates this from say a Coro or Speidel costume piece. I was just a little peeved that the appraisal company was so vague and dismissive. You would think a Sotheby's jewelry 'expert' would recognize a Neiger Brothers piece.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I completely understand that Keppy. I suppose the brooch IS just technically costume jewelry, but the similarities to the Neiger Bros. pieces are too great to ignore, so I am comfortable attributing it to them. I think their story and the age of the piece elevates this from say a Coro or Speidel costume piece. I was just a little peeved that the appraisal company was so vague and dismissive. You would think a Sotheby's jewelry 'expert' would recognize a Neiger Brothers piece.
Yes and it never hurts to check it out more it could be worth well you will never know unless you do all you can to find out..

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

You would think a Sotheby's jewelry expert would recognize a piece made by the Neiger Brothers. The fact that they didn't identify it as such could be due to it NOT being a Neiger Brothers piece. I can see some similarities between your piece & the Neiger Brothers one. I can also see some pretty big differences between the two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread