Unusual beach pebbles markings resembling a map found in Cyprus

MonkiMu

Jan 28, 2024
I found this stone in the southern shore of Cyprus. It has very unusual markings. I was wondering if anyone has seen they markings before and could maybe explain how they are formed.
Screenshot_20240128-195958.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240128-195500.png
    Screenshot_20240128-195500.png
    430.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20240128_195558_240.jpg
    IMG_20240128_195558_240.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240128_195548_234.jpg
    IMG_20240128_195548_234.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Upvote 10

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this stone in the southern shore of Cyprus. It has very unusual markings. I was wondering if anyone has seen they markings before and could maybe explain how they are formed.
View attachment 2128373
I can only guess one time the rock was alluvial mud from eroded chalk that has worn down mixed with organic materials and turned back into stone again over millions of year. Wave action has rounded the stone.

It looks like Marly chalk with bands and modules Known as Leftkara from the Palaeogene period. There is three period with in that period. But I am not sure which? Its not unusual to find fossils in that type of chalk.

If I was to guess where you found it on the beach? My guess would be at or near Pissouri bay near cape Aspero?

2017-05-26.jpg

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MonkiMu

Jan 28, 2024
I can only guess one time the rock was alluvial mud from eroded chalk that has worn down mixed with organic materials and turned back into stone again over millions of year. Wave action has rounded the stone.

It looks like Marly chalk with bands and modules Known as Leftkara from the Palaeogene period. There is three period with in that period. But I am not sure which? Its not unusual to find fossils in that type of chalk.

If I was to guess where you found it on the beach? My guess would be at or near Pissouri bay near cape Aspero?

View attachment 2128418

Crow
Thank you so much so explaining to me. You are exactly right - it's from Pissouri bay!

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you so much so explaining to me. You are exactly right - it's from Pissouri bay!
Actually I thank you!

As it helps me sharpen my research skills. They are rather rusty these days. Thanks for feed back. there was only two spots on coast with Marly Chalk and Pissouri bay was main one with beach.

Crow

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat rock. Those look like secondary sedimentary structures formed by mineral precipitation in a fracture which have been subsequently smoothed by water tumbling. Some people call them ā€˜Liesegangā€™ bands but, strictly speaking, this refers only to structures with a concentric ring-like appearance although they all form in a similar way. Differential erosion can give them a 'relief' pattern where the lines and rings stand proud of the matrix. Theyā€™re relatively common features in sedimentary rocks, especially sandstone which is rich in iron oxides (but not exclusively so). When found in large exposures, itā€™s sometimes called ā€˜carpet rockā€™.

Hereā€™s an example of Liesagangs in sandstone where the ring structures are constrained by those in linear fractures. You wonā€™t always find both types together.

Liesegang.jpg

[pic from Richard Childsā€™ ā€˜onlandscape.co.ukā€™]

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2128373
That is a very nice find.. that's a keeper....one of the things I miss being here on the east coast are the agates, volcanic and unusual rocks that are in abundance in the Pacific NW.... I've only been here alittle over a year now so it may be that I haven't looked in the right places...

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat rock. Those look like secondary sedimentary structures formed by mineral precipitation in a fracture which have been subsequently smoothed by water tumbling. Some people call them ā€˜Liesegangā€™ bands but, strictly speaking, this refers only to structures with a concentric ring-like appearance although they all form in a similar way. Differential erosion can give them a 'relief' pattern where the lines and rings stand proud of the matrix. Theyā€™re relatively common features in sedimentary rocks, especially sandstone which is rich in iron oxides (but not exclusively so). When found in large exposures, itā€™s sometimes called ā€˜carpet rockā€™.

Hereā€™s an example of Liesagangs in sandstone where the ring structures are constrained by those in linear fractures. You wonā€™t always find both types together.

View attachment 2128529
Nice example!

OP
OP
M

MonkiMu

Jan 28, 2024

View attachment 2128529
Thank you. This is fascinating to me and has given me a lot to learn from about the rock patterns.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread