What's new

✅ SOLVED Unusual Cartridge Casing

Mason Jarr

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2012
Messages
517
Reaction score
1,912
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 80
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found about a half dozen of these at an Indian Wars era military site, but I'm not sure they're from that period. It likely was some type of blank with those three petals on the mouth. I've never seen a casing that was tapered three times. It's a center fire, but there are no markings on any of the cases.
 

Attachments

  • 20210624_134308.webp
    20210624_134308.webp
    222.6 KB · Views: 95
i know indian wars they were using Springfield 45/70, i have a bayonet from a springfield 45/70
nice finds
 
Upvote 0
i know indian wars they were using Springfield 45/70, i have a bayonet from a springfield 45/70
nice finds

Thanks. I have many .45/70 casings and its not that. .45/70s aren't tapered.
 
Upvote 0
I agree that it is a crimped blank case. It is for the .30-40 Krag rifle, standard from 1892 to 1903, but not issued in quantity until 1894.
 
Upvote 0
I agree that it is a crimped blank case. It is for the .30-40 Krag rifle, standard from 1892 to 1903, but not issued in quantity until 1894.

I think you nailed it BAW. I found this photo of a blank for the .30-40 Krag and it looks like a match. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • usa-95.webp
    usa-95.webp
    44 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
That is a 30-40 (30 Army) full case Gatling blank. Kind of a rare item. Where as they are known as a Gatling gun blank, they could be used in any 30-40 weapon. Nice find
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom