What's new

Unusual Hopewell Blade Core/ Cup Mann Site Posey Co, IN

Mooch

Full Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
146
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
This piece was found on the Mann Site in Southern Indiana on the banks of the Ohio River. I have never seen anything like it. The only reason they were able to cup out piece of flint is because the cortex on the piece was very deep which was ground out to make cup. THe piece is almost 3 in across the bottom and is 2.00 inches tall. I hope you enjoy.
 

Attachments

  • oak ridge missouri 030.webp
    oak ridge missouri 030.webp
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,761
  • oak ridge missouri 032.webp
    oak ridge missouri 032.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,427
  • oak ridge missouri 033.webp
    oak ridge missouri 033.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,394
  • oak ridge missouri 034.webp
    oak ridge missouri 034.webp
    26 KB · Views: 1,871
Upvote 0
Mike
I'll bring the piece up to your show, what time do the doors open?

Twitch, I didn't find the piece wish I did though
 
Unusual to say the least..
 
unusual posey co blade core cup+another great hopewell piece

Hi all...AS a former owner of the posey co. blade core cup, you can imagine my surprise when I stumbled on the pics here. Some of the info is incorrect( I'm sure by accident). It was purchased from the widow of the original finder(who was groundskeeper at angel mississippian/ hopewell site for 40 years). not the mann site. I bought a box of geodes and beneath the top layer was numerous grooved axes, polished celts, adze, and a few points, all wrapped in rags and paper....little other info is available......while I'm here I'll post another great hopewell piece. This little effigy was found at rutherford hopewell site in so. Illinois in the mid 1950's...It is still owned by the finder's widow.It is carved from bone or ivory, as yet not tested. the right eye is a weeping eye and it seems to have a mammoth carved on the left rear....enjoy.....thanks....olblu
 

Attachments

  • 100_3354.webp
    100_3354.webp
    137.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0363.webp
    IMG_0363.webp
    426.6 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0364.webp
    IMG_0364.webp
    306.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0367.webp
    IMG_0367.webp
    506.7 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
The day I find one of those, is my official retirement! From every thing hunting, working, fishing. Don't think the heart could take it. It would be a happy death!lol!
 
Very cool information. Was there a significant Hopewell component at Angel? It's primarily a Mississippian site.

Kind of cool, maybe the Angelinos found an older Hopewell core and made a cup from it. That would explain why there apparently aren't anymore Hopewell cups like it.
 
now there is a name i miss seeing on here- th3rty7
what ever happen to him? anyone know?
 
Hi Josh....I just live a few miles from both Angel and mann sites... both had a lot of hopewell artifacts as well as mississippian, tho mann was primarily hopewell, and Angel primarily Miss. The Mann site was owned by my brothers wifes family. It was recently purchased by the Fed and new ground sounding techniques reveal the site is LOADED still. Rumour is it will be one of the best mound sites found. new excav's. to start next year I'm told....Mann site is where the(? million?) dollar panther pipe was found......thanks .....olblu
 
Goes to show when you buy artifacts you really have no idea where they came from, cant believe people fall for the same ole stories over and over.
 
That is one of the best non point artifacts I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing.
 
Wow...that is a find of a life time. I'd keep that sweet thing in a safe!

Big congrats
 
Welcome to t-net oleblue. Hope that you keep posting.
 
Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome to this great site...to update you all on the little bone head effigy..It will be on the auction blk in the near future, but right now we are looking for proper authentication. Her price seems a bit frightening to me but i'm a bit financially challenged anyway. If anyone is curious you can email me as i'm not sure what the forum rules are. thanks again for the welcome, good hunting, I'll keep you updated.....olblu
 
cool pc cool thread
 
Definitely one of a kind. try googling flint cup, flint bowl.

It had to be a natural hollow in the flint, I've seen small quartz "bubbles" in flint, but nothing that large.

VERY unique.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom