Unusual Maine Pendant

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometime prior to 1963, George Barton, an old time collector from Attleboro, Ma., acquired a large collection of artifacts that had been found at various sites along the Kennebec River in Maine. The majority were from a site known as Norridgewock, an early 17th century Abnaki village. The collection included many French trade goods, as well as artifacts of native manufacture. Included were a number of pendants, of which I was able to acquire the one shown here.

This is a small pendant of brown slate, with a turtle incised on one side and what I interpret as the sun and a star on the other side, a side that also shows tally marks. I also obtained a conch shell necklace(strung in modern times of course) showing conch shell beads and shell pendant, which were illustrated by William Fowler and included in a 1963 report on his acquisition by Barton, and appearing in the Bulletin of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society(Vol. 24, No. 2, Jan. 1963). The shell beads and pendant are #7 in Fowler's illustration shown here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Upvote 0

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I know absolutley nothing about native american artifacts but that is a really neat piece.. Thanks for sharing..

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice charl thanks for sharing just awesume

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. Don't often see pendants this engraved. Maybe the owner belonged to the turtle clan...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection there Charl. I am still looking for anything engraved. I am sure they did it here where I am but havent found it yet.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice man thanks for the look...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread