Unusual Question from Buyer

cagclub33

Greenie
Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been selling on eBay for a few years now, but just received an unusual message from one of my buyers. It seems that when he went to the post office to pick up his item (the tracking information shows "Notice Left - No Secure Location Found") he was charged an additional $10+ to pick the item up. The shipment went to Virginia and the item in question only weighed about 1 pound, so I'm just not sure where this additional $10 fee came from.

I don't really understand how this could happen. I print the shipping labels at home through eBay and then have my local post office double-check that I have the correct weight before shipping items out. Has anyone had an experience like this or have any advice who I contact (eBay, post office, etc.) to check on why this happened? I've never run across this particular situation and wondered if any of you might have.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Never heard of anything like that. You used USPS right? I've had some that said "Notice Left", but they just go and pick it up anytime for free at PO. I'd contact your local post office and see if they've heard of it. It shouldn't matter where its delivered to. They get their money for delivery and they have to return to the PO at the end of the day. Shouldn't be any extra charges.

Edit: only thing I can think of is possible "Postage Due" and charged him the remainder, but with it being around 1lb doesn't seem likely

Have him email a scan of the receipt. If it's legit pay him the $10 bucks & move on. Life's too short to stress over $10.

The USPS is getting new scanners. One of the options for the carrier is "Notice left-no secure location". Basically that means the carrier couldn't get it in the mailbox and didn't feel leaving it (porch,apartment etc.) was secure. The carrier then has to scan the pink notice (this proves they did leave a notice and it should be the same one the customer got, it has numbers on the back) and leave it in the mailbox.
There is no pick up charge. Best guess is the item was short on postage or shipped with postage for first class but shipped in Priority box. Good luck.

Since you have the buyers information you could just look up the number and call his local post office and inquire about this. Be sure that you get the postmasters name when talking to him/her about this. To me it sounds like the ebayer is just trying to extort money from you.

I have never heard of such a thing.

SURELY someone on these forums would have mentioned this if it were a new USPS policy...

Gas money. To the post office and back! And $3 for lunch... snack wrap, bottle of water at McDonald's!

Nope, not legit. Undelivered items return to the PO and a tag left if possible. I want a receipt. Life is to short to be throwing $10 bills around. People will do all kinds of crazy stuff for cash or in ebays case,cash and free stuff. I got ripped over a $90 item that was "never received". Tracking showed delivered, ebay took the money out of my account and refunded them. THEN get neg feedback! Every now and then you get a crook. Get a receipt before handing over cash, don't enable them. While I'm at it, mail does get lost. Thank God for tracking even if it doesn't always save the day!

I got ripped over a $90 item that was "never received". Tracking showed delivered, ebay took the money out of my account and refunded them. THEN get neg feedback!
You should have been able to contest that case, if the tracking showed as delivered. Not the feedback left, but the money that was taken from your account.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back