What's new

Unverified, Professionally Guessed..Possible Jellyfish

TJE

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
1,159
Golden Thread
0
Location
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another specimen..guessimated by viewing 'hands on' only (not taken and studied) by a top paleontologist ("Possible Jellyfish")
 

Attachments

  • PICT0260.webp
    PICT0260.webp
    218.4 KB · Views: 171
  • PICT0261.webp
    PICT0261.webp
    265.2 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I don't think that's a jelly fish. I remember seeing a fossil a lot like that in paleo lab, but can't remember what it was.
 
Hello Jhaddad8, can I ask, where the lab is stationed, and if you can remember the 'type or formation' name of the stone which the fossil was in?
Thanks
TJE
 
That's Cool! It looks very much like one. :icon_thumleft:
 
Thanks old digger, Strangely.. I'm still 'on the fence' Ha!
If My memory serves me correct, a few years or more back... made me shake my head in amazement when even our worlds top paleontologists and/or their 'Superiors' above them seemed to be in disagreement battles over which fossils where the genuine animal..including this species!!
But, then again..when a Head Curator of Paleontology for one of the largest Museums in North American tells me something...I listen more and remember more as well!! HA!!!
TJE
 
The lab is just a classroom at rutgers where they put out fossils for the paleontology class to identify. Not some research lab.

I'm trying to remember more, but unfortunately I can't. But I am pretty sure I saw something very similar.
 
I also noticed that you used a Canadian penny for scale. Did you find this in Canada? May I ask roughly what region? Also was this whole piece in the bed rock or was it a piece of float.
 
From the pic looks like it might be a sand dollar.........just saying
 
Hello Jhaddad8, yes, these (2) specimens are from The Bruce Peninsula (Eromosa Formation), they're 'layer'
which we call 'black flagstone' is from below the bedrock of The Niagara Escarpment.
TJE
 
Hello Las Vegas Bob, thanks for the input, I've sand dollars (newage & fossilized)...but pretty sure these specimens are not (sand dollars only have five segments).
Thanks for your interest!
TJE
 
I don't have a clue as to what it might be but I think it looks like a small upside down horseshoe crab. I know they have been around for a long time. neat fossil!!
 
Hello huntress104, you never know, I never studied up or know much of the horseshoe crab, I don't know the size or body shape 430 million yrs. ago.. but these fellas seam smaller with a more spherical 'soft' body.
Thanks for research idea! :)
TJE
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom