UPDATE (10-3-22)...Dues 2 Shaft nearing completion; "for sale" target late October 2022...

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all!

I've been working on a Deus 2 shaft for quite awhile now (detailed information found in an 8-24-22 blog post at https://www.stevesdetectorrods.com/blog.php).

The shaft project is now at field-test stage, and moving quickly toward production. In summary, it's an all carbon-fiber shaft, including handle and arm cuff; the shaft (without coil or remote control attached) checks in at only 16.3 oz., and will be fully telescopic -- very similar to how the stock Dues shaft collapses. The all-carbon-fiber design results in a very light weight, very stiff/no-flex shaft, and while built to allow an extra 6" or so of extension beyond stock shaft capability, the option for "tall-man" lower rods will of course be available, as I'm always happy to customize. Along with other small improvements in the shaft (easier access to buttons on the remote, due to a more "recessed" remote control mounting position relative to the handle), I plan to incorporate a few improvements that many Dues users have asked for, including the ability to route the antenna cable inside the shaft, and I'm working on a locking remote-control mount that I hope to have available in the near future, as well.

I assembled the first fully functional field-test-ready shaft today; I'll attach some pictures, below. If you have any questions, please contact me here via PM, or via email at [email protected]. I plan to start a "wait list" soon, but if you think you'll be interested once these become available, feel free to reach out to me and I'll make note of your interest.

THANKS!

Steve, Steve's Detector Rods
www.stevesdetectorrods.com
www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

D2-1.jpg
D2-2.JPG
D2-3.JPG
D2-4.jpg

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few pictures from a field tester...

FullUnit-and-Shaft2reduced.jpg

RemoteDownshaft_reduced.jpg

RemoteSideView_reduced.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ARC
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sure is pretty.
How much?
Intro price will be $229 plus shipping ($16 for most CONUS addresses) for the complete shaft, in black -- which includes the carbon-fiber arm cuff, locking remote-control mount, etc.

Thanks!

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all!

I am making good progress on the D2 shaft project. The last loose end is the remote-control mount. The one that was tested by my field testers was a non-locking version, similar to the one that is on the stock shaft. However, over the past couple of months I've been working to revise the design to include a locking mechanism on the mount. That revised design has been completed, and I have a few 3D-printed samples of this new locking version of the mount en route to me. I need to test these new mounts to be sure the dimensions are correct, and that the locking mechanism works as intended.

As soon as testing on the locking mount is complete (I expect that it won't take long), and assuming it works as intended with no design tweaks needed, then I will initiate production of the injection mold needed to produce the new mounts. Usually, it takes about 4 weeks to produce a mold, and then I'll immediately have the first batch of those mounts produced with the new mold. Production of injection-molded parts only takes a couple of days, and then they can be shipped to me. All other parts for the first production run of shafts have been ordered -- some I have already received, and some remain in production, with receipt expected in 3 to 4 weeks. So, it's just the mounts that are the delay at this point. As soon as I receive them, I'll begin producing -- and shipping -- the first run of shafts to customers.

I already have a large number of names on an informal "wait list," but will be setting up a "formal" wait list as soon as I confirm that the 3D test mounts are proper, and have begun production on the necessary injection mold.

Thanks everyone, for your patience!

Steve
www.stevesdetectorrods.com
www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

email: [email protected]

Reactions: ARC
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Locking mount for the remote control now being tested...
D2collapsed.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread