What's new

Update: Abandoned home find

It says “To Gunning Bedford Esq. Dep. 7 (I can’t make out the next word, major?) General. John Hancock. Philadelphia

Gunning Bedford was Deputy Muster Master General for the Continental Army during the revolution.
 
And a telegram from Governor Brown to R.E.Lee.

View attachment 1877290

IMO it doesn't get much cooler than this...

The telegram appears to be to Michael G. Harman, CSA Quartermaster from Robert E. Lee.

Lee asks it to be sent by express to General H. R. Jackson ordering him to gather troops and oppose the advance of the enemy in relief of General Robert S. Garnett.

Dated July 14, 1861, Lee could not know that Garnett had been killed in action at the Battle of Corrick's Ford on the Cheat River the previous day.

I looked at the signature. You will need an expert to verify it is R. E. Lee's and not written by the telegraph operator.
 
IMO it doesn't get much cooler than this...

The telegram appears to be to Michael G. Harman, CSA Quartermaster from Robert E. Lee.

Lee asks it to be sent by express to General H. R. Jackson ordering him to gather troops and oppose the advance of the enemy in relief of General Robert S. Garnett.

Dated July 14, 1861, Lee could not know that Garnett had been killed in action at the Battle of Corrick's Ford on the Cheat River the previous day.

I looked at the signature. You will need an expert to verify it is R. E. Lee's and not written by the telegraph operator.

It doesn’t match well with Lee’s signature, so it’s probably the telegraph operator. Still a great snapshot in time!!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Joseph G. Posner was being invoiced. Not sure who he was... will look into these fellas.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Looks like Posner was a wealthy Georgia business man. I believe this is his receipt for reimbursement from the state of Georgia after he paid for the dinners.
 
Hi Ryanblood1, I sent you a private message regarding your great find, if you have a chance to read it in your notifications tab sometime. Thanks!
 
I would think it would be the telegraph operators on the receiving end but the more I look at it. That R and the E look like his. On both, the top of the E is rounded and the bottom of the E has more of a right angle.
 
Every time I log on to this discussion, I get blown away by what you have. Wow.
 
Wow! This is quite a treasure trove of American history! You titled it "Update: Abandoned home find". I'm curious. What's the backstory on this?


EDIT:

I found your original thread and took the liberty of posting your backstory below. PM me if it's a problem.


I’m hoping someone might have some insight on pre revolutionary letters/documents. The pictures are just a few of the thousands of a waist high stack of very old papers dating from early 1700s to the end of WW2 that I can across tucked away in a attic of a old home just before it was demolished. It’s mostly all legal documents and some have notes and info indicating to me the person who had all this was a attorney or someone in the legal department and possibly this was all the “old” stuff in a filing cabinet they were going to toss and someone had the sense to take it all home and put it away. This house hadn’t been Lived in since the mid 1940s. Which fits with the 1940 Chicago democratic national convention tickets and The Central Vice President of the Boy Scouts of American member ID cards I came across mixed in with these files. Theres a lot of Civil war era documents, personal letters between soldiers and family during the civil war, GA militia Headmaster office forms and CSA headmasters forms, etc. Theres a lot of 1770s documents to the state of Georgia, petitions, living wills and testimonies, etc. These photos are a few of the things I’ve read through and include a document that has a list of names that were named by king George and the number of acres of land He was giving them that was taken from the creek and Cherokee Indians. Another is a list of estate owners belongings after his death, and has upward of 60 slaves, their name, a one to three word description of each and a dollar value of each.
 
Last edited:
1863
379BA094-9559-426F-9759-DBC922D8F093.webp
 
Still Gobsmacked X 10!

Envy, pure envy that you get to indulge yourself in this great journey of ephderma - couldn't think of a better way to pass the winter.
 
It’s probably going to take me many many winters to get through it. Im too young for this to be my white whale. I might not ever get excited about anything ever again. I lay in bed a hour/hour and a half just staring at the ceiling before saying, screw it, and getting back up and into these papers.
 
Keep posting!! I try to look at them all!
 
So far I have filled 100 page protectors. Some front and back. I still have a good bit to go but I wanted to share pictures of this book that was in with the stuff. It’s short but a good read. If the pictures aren’t readable I’ll take more.
56A4E366-5988-45C3-9A7B-2CE71F592F9E.webp
A424352F-0FB3-4222-88D6-D36629D7E936.webp
D7A02DC0-4C3B-4FDE-AF4D-3B8EBA3A24BD.webp
B1A0105D-238E-4186-B073-4D43FA467F46.webp
23125F2C-E380-469D-BFB2-FE23F88D5C8E.webp
9BC09766-C991-48C3-A82F-C4A1CCD7ACDC.webp
6A6BCC12-D777-46B3-A020-253DDFF3E796.webp
EBFAD5F5-7C77-4F89-87C3-9A7CEDCAF39D.webp
D3C576CF-462D-4B17-81E2-1D990F62185A.webp
4A05BD7A-01CC-4BCC-BCD9-4621C86FF368.webp
This picture isn’t part of the book but I found it inside of it.
5EA13BAB-2F49-458F-BA3B-39CB29B6C2D0.webp
 
So are there any updates on you find? Looks pretty historically significant!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom