What's new

(Update:NewPics)2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ?

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(Update:NewPics)2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ?

Hey Y'all,
Both of these brass items came from the yard of an 1870's homestead. The key escutcheon hole is off-set, and I don't remember ever seeing one like this. The other brass item is a mystery. Both cleaned-up well, and have a nice verdigris patina. All ideas are appreciated. Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • 05-22-2010KeyHole1.webp
    05-22-2010KeyHole1.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 05-22-2010 KeyHole2.webp
    05-22-2010 KeyHole2.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 05-22-2010 KeyHole3.jpg.webp
    05-22-2010 KeyHole3.jpg.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 318
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

Weird. I have no idea Breezie. Sorry
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

The second piece may be a specialized drift or press insert tool, interesting. Hope you get a positive I.D. :wink:

(gunsmith tool?)
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

When I first dug it, I thought it was some type of drill bit. Then after studying on it, it reminded me of the end of a ramrod. It's extremely heavy for its size.

As far as the keyhole is concerned, I think it is handmade because it is not symetrical. It's very thick and heavy. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

I think you are right about the keyhole being handmade. I still have no idea on the other thingy.
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

Here's a pic of the diameter; maybe that will help. Could it be a ramrod for a derringer or a ramrod tip? :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • BrassPieceMeasurement.webp
    BrassPieceMeasurement.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 299
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

Dang Breezie,you pulled some gooduns :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

kuger said:
Dang Breezie,you pulled some gooduns :icon_scratch:

Thanks Kuger, but what did I pull??? LOL :dontknow: I don't know if you can tell from the pic or not, but the skinny part of the rod is slightly bent. I would think it would have had to have been in a horizontal position to bend that way; but who knows. I have some strange things to follow me home! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

Breezie said:
kuger said:
Dang Breezie,you pulled some gooduns :icon_scratch:

Thanks Kuger, but what did I pull??? LOL :dontknow: I don't know if you can tell from the pic or not, but the skinny part of the rod is slightly bent. I would think it would have had to have been in a horizontal position to bend that way; but who knows. I have some strange things to follow me home! Breezie

C'mon Breez,work with me"Pulled"ie. dug :laughing7:I have no idea,what you have :dontknow: :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

kuger said:
Breezie said:
kuger said:
Dang Breezie,you pulled some gooduns :icon_scratch:

Thanks Kuger, but what did I pull??? LOL :dontknow: I don't know if you can tell from the pic or not, but the skinny part of the rod is slightly bent. I would think it would have had to have been in a horizontal position to bend that way; but who knows. I have some strange things to follow me home! Breezie

C'mon Breez,work with me"Pulled"ie. dug :laughing7:I have no idea,what you have :dontknow: :hello:
I knew what you meant; I was jerking your chain; LOL :laughing7: I'm headed back there again today; maybe I'll find the 'key.' :laughing7: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

That one thing looks so familiar but I just can't put my finger on it. Looks kinda' like a top punch for a bullet mold, but I think it is way too long. The top punch is what makes a hollow point in a cast bullet, and/or another use is to push a bullet through a sizing die. Beats me because it is hollow and top punches are solid. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

Monty said:
That one thing looks so familiar but I just can't put my finger on it.

I know what you mean!

Right now I'm thinking piston from a airgun? :dontknow:

I have seen escutcheons like that. Circa 1800?
 

Attachments

  • qb88_04.webp
    qb88_04.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 294
  • crosspringguide.webp
    crosspringguide.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 227
  • trset.webp
    trset.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

Monty said:
That one thing looks so familiar but I just can't put my finger on it. Looks kinda' like a top punch for a bullet mold, but I think it is way too long. The top punch is what makes a hollow point in a cast bullet, and/or another use is to push a bullet through a sizing die. Beats me because it is hollow and top punches are solid. Monty

Monty, yes it does look like a top punch, but the stem is too long as you said. Were antique ones longer? The base of this is solid (and heavy), and the skinny neck is hollow, yet very substantial.

Lucas, it does resemble an air gun piston, but wouldn't it have to have a neck ring to hold the spring? Yes, I do believe the keyhole is from the 1800's; I just have never seen one with an off-set hole.

I went back today, and found 2 other goodies, which I will post later this evening. One of which goes along with the eschutcheon . .and no, it's not the key; I wish. Thanks for all of the ideas. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

No Breezie, I don't think they were any longer and I am pretty sure they weren't hollow either. If they were, part of the lead would go up inside them and make a very funny looking bullet. I was just saying what they reminded me of. Monty

Heck, I just thought of what I really think it is! There is a reloading tool called a Lee Loader. Everything done on a Lee Loader is by tapping the empty cases into a die with a hammer to resize the case. Then you place the die inside another larger die and tap the new primer out and then tap a new one in. Then the next step is to take the object in question use it to tap the case out of the die on something like a .45 Colt cartridge. It would go inside the die, inside the case and you could tap the case out with it. It is hollow on the stem so it won't strike the primer and set it off! I believe that is what it is! I thought about reloading tools when I first saw it. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

I went back today, and found this huge iron leaf (looks like a maple) very close to where I dug the brass escutcheon. From what I was told, there use to be a iron fence around this estate, and I'm guessing the iron leaf was part of the gate decor and maybe the escutcheon was on the gate lock. :dontknow: Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronLeafFront.webp
    IronLeafFront.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IronLeafBack.webp
    IronLeafBack.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ???

Well, we have a new development on the brass piece. I found a hole that is the size of a sewing needle that goes all the way through from top to bottom. I don't know if this will make a difference in helping ID it or not; hopefully so. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • BrassPieceHole.webp
    BrassPieceHole.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0
Re: (Update:NewPics)2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ?

I'm confident in saying this is a high pressure hydraulic punch tool
I would bet that if you put a hack saw on it you cant scratch it
High end hardened tool
Brady
 
Upvote 0
Re: (Update:NewPics)2 Brass Items: 1 Offset Escutcheon & 1 ?

bradyboy said:
I'm confident in saying this is a high pressure hydraulic punch tool
I would bet that if you put a hack saw on it you cant scratch it
High end hardened tool
Brady

Brady, I know nothing about hydraulic punches except the ones I saw on Google after reading your post. I think you're 'spot on' on this one. Thanks for the ID; I'll green check it. :hello2: Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom