Upgrade to X-Terra 30/Personal Bests

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I know that the X-Terra 30 isn't the most advanced machine, but I already know it was a big step up from the Titan/Bounty Hunter I started with. I got (what I think) was a deal on it for $225 shipped - only tell me if I got a good deal, I don't want to know if I didn't :tongue3:. The person selling it listed it as non working/for parts, stating it they used it once and it worked fine, then put it in the closet, and now it won't power on. I (correctly) guessed they forgot to take the batteries out before storing it, alkaline had leaked, and it just needed to be cleaned. I was a bit frustrated that it was shipped in a HUGE box, fully assembled ($50 to ship), but what can you do.

As expected, when it arrived, I took the control box apart and there was alkaline EVERYWHERE. I carefully cleaned it all up with some lemon juice, carefully rinsed with a bit of water, and died everything thoroughly. Inspected, and reassembled, and she fired right up. I'm still getting to know it, but I'm already VERY happy with it. I think the best part is that I feel like I can actually make reasonable predictions about what I'm going to dig, which has helped my trash to treasure ration a TON. The one downside, is now I'm looking at coils for it :laughing7: I'm thinking that at least anything I invest in coils for the XT30 will also be useful if I end up upgrading to a 505 or 705 in the future.

Since I started with it, I've found my first precious metal jewelry - a sterling silver toe ring (1g), my first "gold" dollar coin (modern) and my 3rd wheat. Sadly it was in VERY dry clay, and I scratched the bejezuz out of it digging it out. It was one I needed in my book, and of course I only scratched the heads side... not a thing on the wheat side :dontknow: At least it wasn't a key or semi-key date...

ToeRing.JPG

Upvote 0

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like your off to great start keep on digging ! !

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Keep it up. Pretty soon, you'll be so advanced & finding so many gold coins, that seated coins will bore you. :)

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it up. Pretty soon, you'll be so advanced & finding so many gold coins, that seated coins will bore you. :)

HA, I hope, but I'm not holding my breath... I'm still waiting on my first silver coin, and to be perfectly honest, unless I discover some honey holes I haven't considered before, I'll be happy if I find ONE gold coin, and i doubt silver will ever bore me

IronCityDetector

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2014
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Max, F75, Ace 350, Fisher 1212X, Minelab X-Terra 30
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a similar experience. I bought a "for parts" x-terra 30 as a second machine. But I had to have minelab put a new board in mine. It ended up being about $300 all said and done. It paid for itself the second day I used it when I found a 14k diamond and sapphire ring in my yard that I had hunted many times before with other machines. A couple days later I found my first seated liberty half dollar at an old home site at 9" deep. I have been pretty impressed. It has pretty impressive sensitivity and good depth. Although I will say it doesn't discriminate iron out as well as my Fisher does.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread