Upgrading Detector

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been enjoying my first MD, the AT Pro, for the past month. I've gotten very skilled at separating trash from treasure, but the bug has hit me hard, and I find myself wanting to add a higher end weapon to my arsenal.

The wife is on board, surprisingly, and I've narrowed down my choices to the V3i or E-Trac, as she was not sold on splurging for the ctx3030. Being a novice, I'm leaning towards the E-Trac due to the fact it is easier to pick up and go. However, the V3i has a great screen and extensive tweakability. I can't seem to decide either way, and need some help!

Oh and Bart, if I decide on the E, you can bet I'm calling you, so get your deals ready!

Upvote 0

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go visit a MD shop if at all possible and try them out. You may find that one feels better in the hand. Or sounds better. Or maybe the weight balance will feel better with one over the other.

One thing you'll want to do is read the operating manuals. If one makes your brain hurt, it's likely the machine will also. Plus you'll discover things you just won't find in the ads.

Personally I've never used Minelab machines, but I've had several White's machines and they are top rate.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both White's and Minelab machines including the E-trac. I was in the same boat as you about a year ago and after much research and deliberation I chose the E-trac and have no regrets. Both seem to be top notch but in reviewing feedback from users, the E-trac looked to be a bit easier to use. The V3i is said to have a longer learning curve. The plus on the V3i is that White's is an American company and has great customer support. If you truly can't decide, flip a coin......either one is a quality machine for all around coin /jewelry hunting. Now if you want to nugget shoot or get into the water, there are better choices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread