Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
US belt buckle-Yes it's a junker

I got out yesterday and found this us buckle. I turned it over and could see it was junk. I think it's made of pot metal and brass coated.
The ring isn't marked and the brass hook thing might be from a horse carage. It has a hole in the end of the loop,no threads. Part of a harmonica reed. I don't know what the round cap thing is with a hole in the top or the round aluminum thing with an A in the center of circles.
roger

Attachments

• April 14, 001.JPG
    April 14, 001.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 732
  • April 14, 012.JPG
    April 14, 012.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 765
  • April 14, 011.JPG
    April 14, 011.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 713
  • April 14, 009.JPG
    April 14, 009.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 734
  • April 14, 008.JPG
    April 14, 008.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 730
  • April 14, 007.JPG
    April 14, 007.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 735
  • April 14, 006.JPG
    April 14, 006.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 723
  • April 14, 003.JPG
    April 14, 003.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 728
Upvote 0

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Re: US belt buckle-Yes it's a junker

rodgerdodger said:
I got out yesterday and found this us buckle. I turned it over and could see it was junk. I think it's made of pot metal and brass coated.
The ring isn't marked and the brass hook thing might be from a horse carage. It has a hole in the end of the loop,no threads. Part of a harmonica reed. I don't know what the round cap thing is with a hole in the top or the round aluminum thing with an A in the center of circles.
roger
That buckle looks good to me! DD

Jun 17, 2010
Middle,Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Detectors used: Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds Congratulations!!
TTH

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

uh want to get rid of that junker buckle ? it would look nice as a prop type item for my wife to show what a UNION US civil war era type buckle would "roughly" look like to her 3rd thru 5th grade kids at school when she does her civil war music class -- sadly I have not been able to find a real buckle for her display of civil war goods (yet) -- civil war bullets , yep , coins from the civil war era, yep, eagle buttons ,yep even a match holder with matches still inside --but no buckles

the aluminum A with circles thing is by my best guess-- the outer * (front) part of a clothing rivet type button most likely.

the other thing is a coat hanger hook that goes on a wall or door back ( its mounted via the screw holes ) or if mounted on the side of a carriage* I could see the reins could have been put in the lower hook part, while the hole in the end of the loop might have had a leather thong attached thru or to it to tie the reins in place to prevent them from falling down and out .

even though its not marked --the ring looks to me to be silver with a small bit of torquoise stone --silver and torquoise are often found together in real but less costly silver type jewelry --normally its marked 925 or sterling * but not always

the hole in the end cap type item MIGHT be a end cap type item from a old wooden rod metal ended type window shade . --of the type that pulled down

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks iven salis.

I got that buckle all wrapped up waiting for your address.

roger

Attachments

• April 16, 001.JPG
    April 16, 001.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 584

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

thank you very much * i 'll send you a nice lil sumpin for the kindness, say like a roman coin?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

here we go -- AE4 Honorius 394 - 423 AD bust right * -- SALVSREIPVBLICAE on rear with victory advancing left with trophy and dragging captive -- aquileia mint ( northeast italy near the Adriatic sea)

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 504
OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks iven salis.

That will be my first Roman coin ever.

roger

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool finds Roger. Nice of you to send it to Ivan as well...

I've only been out a few times this year and haven't found much of anything yet (partly because I'm bored with my machine and about to upgrade)

We're supposed to get 1-3" of snow tonight in the cities :'(

Hopefully you won't get too much down there.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

yes there is a copy * of a exact match on Ebay that states its a civil war era historical repo * cost $7.49 new plus S & H -- it is molded with the solid metal rear belt attachment bar built into the casting as well a iron peg type belt hook in the rears front and is brass coated *

it will fit the bill nicely as a "frontal" display type piece of what a dug US (union) civil war belt buckle would "roughly" look like for the 3rd to 5th graders to look at --until I can find a real one for my wifes civil war display case :wink:

she is quite happy about her "new goodie" for the case .--it was total surprize for her.

many thanks ! -- will send coin shortly --Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions